Author Topic: Self inquiry & Handling Sleep during Meditation  (Read 3460 times)

srkudai

Self inquiry & Handling Sleep during Meditation
« on: November 21, 2011, 03:20:35 PM »
When sitting in meditation, some times we feel a little sleepy
This is a common problem with most meditators.
I found Self inquiry to be most effective in such situations... who is feeling sleepy , and the attention is diverted to the subject of the feeling. The feeling looses its grip.
No other technique helped me as much as this! :)

Self inquiry is indeed so powerful. There are slight variations in ways people use it.. Even amongst direct disciples of Ramana, people tried it slightly differently. And our Subramanian ji uses Arunachala Siva to the same effect.
The best I could find was [or the one that works best for me] to remain without verbalizing anything ... or Remain with that which is the source of all names --- from where mental naming happens. [The source of japa :) one may say] Just Remain There! Everytime there is a verbalization, I withdraw to that. Thats works really well.

the world does not vanish :), but it looses its grip !

OmNamahShivaya

• View Profile
Re: Self inquiry & Handling Sleep during Meditation
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »
Namaste,

Beautiful explanation. I also find that Self Inquiry seems to cause thoughts to lessen. It so potent, yet so simple. We do not have to go through severe austerities. The practice is a great gift from Consciousness

Om Namah Sivaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 06:32:48 AM »
Dear srkudai and Namashivayah,

The problem of getting sleep is experienced by many Sadhakas. Srt Bhagavan invariabltold them
that it did not matter and thet could resume the enquiry on waking up from sleep.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 10:01:21 AM »
Dear Udai,

As contemplated about this in the topic of boredom - http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=6729.msg23773#msg23773

The main reason why sleep takes over is because of boredom. The Mind realises or is able to see that the Self is nothing new or something that is to be found new. All the adventure of going deep in the realms of the 'I' ends after some discernment. It is evident to the enquirer that it, itself is the searched. So it is bored as it no more has a job to do - "think" Its job is under threat. Hence, it is where boredom takes over.

The other problem we face along with sleep is after some time of enquiry, we are unable to continue, if we don't sleep, we either go out, talk with somebody or have some snacks, or go for a walk or call somebody, etc... basically, we need a break! The necessity for a break itself is the basic problem. If none of the activities are interesting then the enquirer (mind) resorts to sleep.

On recognition, on this discernment, the best way is that we have to just sit with boredom, its not even necessary to to enquiry from here. Just sit, without allowing the boredom take over. Sit with boredom and bore even the boredom.

This is victory over sloth! We have to face it!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »
Dear srkudai,

Yes. There was one Jatini Sundarambal. She was not sleeping but was in mano laya, in a state of stupor always. Sri Bhagavan asked Kunju Swami to take her to the Hill for a walk so that she
could come back to some activity, to ward off mano laya.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 03:33:40 PM »
Dear srkudai,

I checked up with S.S. Cohen 's personal notes.  Sri Bhagavan had explained to him,
that in mano laya, the eyes are open with empty look, unlike sleeping. In both sleeping and manolaya the mind is in suspended animation, but a person in manolaya will some times see strange sights
And strange sounds, which are not there in dreamless deep sleep. Saint Arunagiri Natha says, the
sounds are, blowing of conch shell, waves of ocean, the veena playing etc.,  The sights are golden
yellow rushing like a water fall, a million bright stars in the sky etc.,

Arunachala Siva.