Author Topic: Sri Ramana and practicing a healthy vegetarian diet?  (Read 4405 times)

OmNamahShivaya

• View Profile
Sri Ramana and practicing a healthy vegetarian diet?
« on: November 20, 2011, 07:21:27 AM »
Namaste,

I have read from some of Ramana's discourses that he recommended a vegetarian diet as it is supposedly good to allow less thoughts to occur. I am not a vegetarian and I mainly eat a Paleo type of diet. This includes meat etc in a balanced way. My wife also eats this way and low carb. She has the condition hyperglycemia. Her blood sugar can be affected easily. She avoids carbs, because it helps her blood sugar and allows her to lose weight. Is there a way to practice vegetarianism without eating a lot of carbs? What is the method of Ramana in eating vegetarian?

Om Namah Sivaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Sri Ramana and practicing a healthy vegetarian diet?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 09:32:25 AM »
Dear Namashivaya,

I am not sure whether what you and your wife eat can be termed "vegetarian" diet.
What Sri Bhagavan meant is rice or wheat or any grains with vegetables or greens.
Because this type of food would be sattvic in nature and in moderate quantities would
be AID to Self enquiry. Mere sattvic food shall not confer self realization but it will be
in your enquiry by keeping the mind away from baser instincts. Evev here Sri Bhagavan
said that Asramam would only provide such food and one should not eat non sattvic food
inside the Asramam. But He did not prevent those who are accustomed to meat to have
them outside the Asramam. Many meat eaters both Indian and Westerners voluntarily
switched over to veg. Food either immediately or after some lapse of time.

Arunachala Siva.

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 11:08:59 AM »

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya!
Dear OmNamahShivaya,

Initially there may be such doubts and confusion. Common sense and discretion help here.

If one can switch to veg instantly, that is good.  The difference will be felt personally in our body and mind.

If not try gradually. It need not be an obsession. One should not abhor the non-veg eating since it depends on one's vasanas

and physical circumstances.

Finally one ends up with veg eating only during his evolvement in the spiritual path.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:53:02 PM »
Dear  Sreeswaroop and namashivayah,

In this context, I would like a story about two devotees of Sri Bhagavan. Chadwick and
Arthur Osborne. Chadwick was a vegetarian even before arriving at the Asramam. He was
taking bread, jam, butter etc., All that he had to do was to switch over to rice, sambhar,
rasam, curry etc.,  Osborne was a typical Westerner, eating chicken, mutton, fish etc.,
It took several years for him to switch over totally to vegetarianism. But Lucia, his wife
quickly to Indian type vegetarian food and even stopped cooking non vegetarian food
in their home in Tiruvannamalai. That way, Osborne had to go outside to take non
vegetarian food and this acted as a deterrant. He beautifully describes this in his My Life
and Quest.

Arunachala Siva.