Author Topic: how to manage book collections  (Read 2212 times)

ksksat27

• View Profile
how to manage book collections
« on: November 17, 2011, 08:20:31 PM »
Previous to coming Ramana I had a huge collection of Ramakrishna books,  Aurobindo books etc.

After finding solace and accepting Maharishee as my Guru,  I have been buying many Ramana books ,  each time I go to the ashram I buy two books.

The numbers are increasing,  how do you people manage them esp.  I am talking about a nominal house where luxury showcases are not there? 

Does anybody else have this habit of buying more and more Ramanasramam books / multi media cds etc.?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: how to manage book collections
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 07:02:39 AM »
Dear Krishna,

The problem is similar with many of us. In my case, first I threw away all fictions.
Excepting a good dictionary and a golden treasury of English poems, I do not
have any non-spiritual books. Under spiritual books also, I have safely placed
Osho and JK in the attic. With other books, I have placed them under cardboard
cartons, and the cartons are numbered and I keep a list of books inside for
each carton. About 120 to 150 books, mostly of Sri Ramanasramam and Tevaram,
Tiruvachakam and Divya Prabandham, Tayumanavar, Vallalar and 18 Siddhars,
I keep in a wooden almirah next to my computer.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 10:56:21 AM »
Dear Krishna,

Perhaps, I am offering an irrelevant response here ;)

More than worrying about managing book collection, its more important to manage the rack of our minds.

When we are able to manage the book rack of our mind with clarity, the same will reflect outside. Even without your own volition, your external environment becomes neat!

Therefore, always focus inwards, what is inside, manifests as outside!

Salutations to Bhagavan

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 12:00:52 PM »
Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya!

Dear Nagaraj ji,

I STRONGLY disagree with you. Sorry.

What you said is MOST relevant. Thanks.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 02:32:33 PM »
Previous to coming Ramana I had a huge collection of Ramakrishna books,  Aurobindo books etc.

After finding solace and accepting Maharishee as my Guru,  I have been buying many Ramana books ,  each time I go to the ashram I buy two books.

The numbers are increasing,  how do you people manage them esp.  I am talking about a nominal house where luxury showcases are not there? 

Does anybody else have this habit of buying more and more Ramanasramam books / multi media cds etc.?

I have a habit of buying books related to Yoga , Spirituality , Non Duality and have a huge collection .But 2-3 years back I gave a huge set of books on spirituality , yoga that I do not read any more to a friend of mine who was collecting it for some Ashram's library or so and he gave it .

Of late I have avoided purchasing much and have now switched to buying books on Kindle to be read in my Kindle Reader in PC ( I still do not have Kindle reader but use the Kindle reader for PC in my LapTop and DeskTop ) .I am now using kindle mainly to avoid excess books in my room . But I prefer reading books in Hard Copy rather than on Computer

As regards Audio CDs  of talks on spirituality , spiritual songs etc ,I  have started storing  it in my Computer /Lap Top and I do not know what to do with the Old CDs .I have again stopped buying any fresh Audio CDs and I prefer to buy digital downloads .
So in essence I also have the excess books problem :)
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:09:21 PM »
Dea Nagaraj, Tushnim and others,

I have got a habit. I segreagate the books that are no longer necessary for me (Osho, JK etc.,) into an attic in a neatly
arranged cartons.  There are 13 cartons of such books with me! What I need NOW, I keep them in a book rack. These include
tirumurais, 4000 songs of Azhwars, Sri Bhagavan's books and three volumes of Zen by Dr. Suzuki.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 06:10:40 PM »
sir, what is there: give away all  the books you feel you do not need any more !
and give away the good books you have already comprehended to people who are learning.
and keep the books that aid you.

Done that in the past i.e 3 years back and will do the next set of giving in the coming few months .
I am now re arranging my books in the order of my interest and will start my next set of giving of books that I do not read anymore and nor do I have any interest to read in the future .
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 06:28:34 PM »
Dear atmacvichar,

I have given some spiritual books to Sri Ramakrishna Ashram in Bangalore.

Arunachala Siva.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 06:32:46 PM »
Dear atmacvichar,

I have given some spiritual books to Sri Ramakrishna Ashram in Bangalore.

Arunachala Siva.
Subramaniam Sir

Thanks for the input . What sort of books will they accept ? Will they accept only spiritual books related to Sri Ramakrishna or any spiritual books ?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 06:41:45 PM »
Dear atmavichar,

They will accept all spiritual books.

Arunachala Siva.