Author Topic: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta  (Read 178235 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Bhagavan about reality of the world
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »
As I recalled Bhagavan saying sometimes that unreal (mithya, imaginary) and real (satyam) mean the same, but did not quite understand, I asked him about it. He said, "Yes, I do sometimes say that. What do you mean by real? What is it that you call real?" I answered: "According to Vedanta, only that which is permanent and unchanging can be called real. That is the meaning of Reality." Then Bhagavan said: "The names and forms which constitute the world continually change and perish and are therefore called unreal. It is unreal (imaginary) to limit the Self to these names and forms and real to regard all as the Self. The non-dualist says that the world is unreal, but he also says, 'All this is Brahman'. So it is clear that what he condemns is, regarding the world as objectively real in itself, not regarding it as Brahman. He who sees the Self sees the Self alone in the world also. It is immaterial to the Enlightened whether the world appears or not. In either case, his attention is turned to the Self. It is like the letters and the paper on which they are printed. You are so engrossed in the letters that you forget about the paper, but the Enlightened sees the paper as the substratum whether the letters appear on it or not. The Vedantins do not say that the world is unreal. That is a misunderstanding. If they did, what would be the meaning of the Vedantic text: 'All this is Brahman'? They only mean that the world is unreal as world but real as Self. If you regard the world as non-self, it is not real. Everything, whether you call it illusion (Maya) or Divine Play (Lila) or Energy (Shakti) must be within the Self and not apart from It."
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
Re: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta
« Reply #286 on: June 03, 2013, 12:21:46 AM »
"Blow O wind to where my loved one is. Touch Him and come touch me soon. I'll feel His gentle touch through you and meet His beauty in the moon. These things are much for the one who loves. One can live by them alone: that He and I breathe the same air and that the Earth we tread is one."
(Ramayana)

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 03, 2013, 02:46:41 PM »
"Should even one's enemy arrive at the doorstep, he should be attended upon with respect. A tree does not withdraw its cooling shade even from the one who has come to cut it."
(Mahabharata 12.146.5)

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 03, 2013, 02:58:16 PM »
"In the seed there is nothing but the seed - no diversity. At the same time there is the notion of potential diversity [of flowers, fruits] supposedly present in the seed. Even so, cosmic consciousness is one, devoid of diversity; yet the universe of diversity is said to exist only in notion."
(Yoga Vasishtha)

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 03, 2013, 03:09:03 PM »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
(Lord of the Rings, J. R. R. Talkien)

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 03, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »
"Hell has three gates: lust, anger and greed."
(Bhagavad Gita)

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 03, 2013, 03:44:48 PM »
"Knowing others is intelligence; knowing yourself is true wisdom. Mastering others is strength; mastering yourself is true power. If you realize that you have enough, you are truly rich."
(Lao Tzu)

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 03, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »
Jesus said: If those who lead you say unto you: Behold, the Kingdom is in heaven, then the birds of the heavens will be before you. If they say unto you: It is in the sea, then the fish will be before you. But the Kingdom is within you, and it is outside of you. When you know yourselves, then shall you be known, and you shall know that you are the sons of the living Father. But if you do not know yourselves, then you are in poverty, and you are poverty.

Elucidation:

Do not believe the words of your spiritual leaders. They tell you heaven is the reward and hell is the punishment after death. The true hell is the world of the dead, the unconscious, the sleeping here on earth. Heaven is the state of the awakened. When you know yourself, you feel a part of the entire creation and all people. When Jesus talks of the Kingdom and the Father, he tries to catch the unspeakable in a metaphor. About that which you cannot speak, you must pass over in silence. It is useless to talk of the unspeakable goal; it is enough to show the way. If you do not know yourself, you lead a miserable life; perhaps rich to the world, but poor for your Self.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 10:14:37 PM by Hari »

Hari

• View Profile
What is the definition of Reality
« Reply #293 on: June 04, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
Reality is the state of things as they actually exist, rather than as they may appear or might be imagined. In a wider definition, reality includes everything that is and has been, whether or not it is observable or comprehensible. A still more broad definition includes everything that has existed, exists, or will exist.

(Source: Wikipedia)

Hari

• View Profile
By the Will of Rama
« Reply #294 on: June 04, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »
"In a certain village there lived a weaver. He was a very pious soul. Everyone trusted him and loved him. He used to sell his goods in the market-place. When a customer asked him the price of a piece of cloth, the weaver would say: 'By the will of Rama the price of the yarn is one rupee and the labour four annas; by the will of Rama the profit is two annas. The price of the cloth, by the will of Rama, is one rupee and six annas.' Such was the people's faith in the weaver that the customer would at once pay the price and take the cloth. The weaver was a real devotee of God. After finishing his supper in the evening, he would spend long hours in the worship hall meditating on God and chanting His name and glories. Now, late one night the weaver couldn't get to sleep. He was sitting in the worship hall, smoking now and then, when a band of robbers happened to pass that way. They wanted a man to carry their goods and said to the weaver, 'Come with us.' So saying, they led him off by the hand. After committing a robbery in a house, they put a load of things on the weaver's head, commanding him to carry them. Suddenly the police arrived and the robbers ran away. But the weaver, with his load, was arrested. He was kept in the lock-up for the night. Next day he was brought before the magistrate for trial. The villagers learnt what had happened and came to court. They said to the magistrate, 'Your Honour, this man could never commit a robbery.' Thereupon the magistrate asked the weaver to make his statement. The weaver said: 'Your Honour, by the will of Rama I finished my meal at night. Then by the will of Rama I was sitting in the worship hall. It was quite late at night by the will of Rama. By the will of Rama I had been thinking of God and chanting His name and glories, when by the will of Rama a band of robbers passed that way. By the will of Rama they dragged me with them; by the will of Rama they committed a robbery in a house; and by the will of Rama they put a load on my head. Just then, by the will of Rama the police arrived, and by the will of Rama I was arrested. Then by the will of Rama the police kept me in the lock-up for the night, and this morning by the will of Rama I have been brought before Your Honour.' The magistrate realized that the weaver was a pious man and ordered his release. On his way home the weaver said to his friends, 'By the will of Rama I have been released.'"

Hari

• View Profile
Shirdi Sai about karma
« Reply #295 on: June 06, 2013, 01:01:35 PM »
Nana: Baba, I am fed up with this saMsAra. It is only nissAra (that's without content). Please help me cut the bonds which bind me to it. What appears as pleasant in the beginning ends in misery. Fate tosses us hither and thither. I don’t see an iota of happiness in this saMsAra.

Shirdi Sai Baba: Nana, you are prattling like a mad man. What you say is only partially true. You have misunderstood the truth. The saMsAra will exist as long as the body exists. No one can escape from it. How can you? Even I am under its clutches. The saMsAra is varied and different. It is the work of Desire and Anger. All the vagaries of the mind and the body constitute saMsAra. By running away and hiding yourself in a forest you cannot escape it. What you are now has been brought on you by yourself. You are only experiencing the fruits of your actions done by you in your previous lives. It is by that cause the effect of the appearance of this body has taken place. This is called deha-prArabdha. The soul gets a body just to experience the consequences of actions of its own previous lives. Without experiencing the consequences of prArabdha karma one cannot leave this world. Why do people look different? Why, in fact, do various living beings look different? It is all because of the karma of previous lives. A rich man’s dog rolls in joy on a cushioned sofa. A poor man’s dog rots at the street corner. The difference is because of prArabdha.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 07, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »
Nana: Since pleasure and pain do any way alternate in this samsAra, one feels like hating it and renouncing it. Is it not good to renounce?

Shirdi Sai Baba: Pleasure and pain are both mAyA. What appears as pleasant is not really a pleasure. People in the clutches of samsAra take the appearance of plesure as real pleasure and are drawn towards it. As a result of prArabdha karma one fellow gets tasty, dainty and rich food while another felllow has onoly stale bread to eat. The former thinks that he has no wants and the latter thinks he is a failure. Think well. Whatever you may eat, the result is the same. Appeasement of one’s hunger. One fellow covers his body with costly cloth with zari and all. Another does the same with a torn old rag. Both serve the same purpose. Pleasure and pain depend on the attitude of your mind. This is the effect of mAyA. Do not give place in your mind to thoughts of pleasure and pain.

mAyA manifests itself as the six enemies of man: lust, anger, greed, delusion, pride and envy (see Reply #290; Hari). They make non-real things appear as real. A poor man, seeing the rich man wearing a gold ornament, wishes to have one like that for himself. This is greed. The others are similar to this. Conquer all six of these foes of Man. No desire will then rise in the mind. Otherwise you will become a slave of these six rogues. Use your discretion and kill them. You will not be affected by pleasure and pain caused by mAyA.

Let me tell you how you should go about in this samsAra. A wise person will be content with whatever he has, knowing full well that it is his prArabdha. If you have riches, be humble. A tree with more fruits in it will bend. But do not bend before all. One should certainly be firm and stern with wicked people. But with sAdhus and the devout, you should show humility and modesty.

Spend your wealth in charity and dharma. But do not be extravagant. This body is certainly impermanent but so long as it is there, wealth is necessary to a certain extent. Even bile is necessary for the health of the body. But do not become greedy as money is the be-all and end-all of life. Be charitable. But do not do wasteful expenditure.

Observe happily all the goings-on in the world. Do not forget God. Remember always: 'This samsAra is not mine, it is God's.' Show your sympathy with the poor and the down-trodden. Do not hurt them by showing hate or disgust. Keep a constant mental analysis of the question: 'Who am I?'

Hari

• View Profile
Gospel of Thomas
« Reply #297 on: June 07, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »
"Jesus said, "There was a rich man who had much money. He said, 'I shall put my money to good use so that I may sow, reap, plant, and fill my storehouse with produce, with the result that I shall lack nothing.' Such were his intentions, but that same night he died. Let him who has ears hear""

Commentary: Jesus emphasizes the fact that the time for 'enlightenment' is now, not some far off time when one's affairs have been put in order.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 08, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
ॐ असतो मा सद्गमय ।
तमसो मा ज्योतिर्गमय ।
मृत्योर्मा अमृतं गमय ।
ॐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ॥

Om Asato Maa Sad-Gamaya |
Tamaso Maa Jyotir-Gamaya |
Mrtyor-Maa Amrtam Gamaya |
Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

1: Om, Lead us from Unreality (of Transitory Existence) to the Reality (of Self),
2: Lead us from the Darkness (of Ignorance) to the Light (of Spiritual Knowledge),
3: Lead us from the Fear of Death to the Knowledge of Immortality.
4: Om Peace, Peace, Peace.

(Brihadaranyaka Upanishad)

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 08, 2013, 11:10:33 PM »
"And now hear from Me, O Arjuna, about the threefold pleasure. The pleasure one enjoys from (spiritual) practice results in cessation of sorrow. This pleasure, appears as poison in the beginning but is like nectar in the end, comes by the grace of Self-knowledge; is good or Sattvika. Sensual pleasures appear as nectars in the beginning, but become poison in the end; such pleasures are called Rajasika pleasures."

(Bhagavad Gita)