Author Topic: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta  (Read 174489 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Quotes in the light of Advaita
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
Dear Ramana,

You may kindly go through the beautiful article of Swami Siddheswaranada titled Deep Sleep and Awareness,
in Mountain Path, Jan.-Mar. 2012.  It is actually a letter written by him to Lord Terence Gray, better known as
Wei Wu Wei. Both are Sri Bhagavan's devotees. The former was the monk of the Ramakrishna Order at Gretz, France.

In the said article Swami beautifully describes why wakefulness, dream, and even deep sleep are unreal and only Jagrat-sushupti
alone is Real. We all think that in deep sleep we are with Self and there is no mind. But in deep sleep, ignorance is also hiding,
our vasanas are also hiding. Hence only jagrat-sushupti is Real.

No devotees have seen Sri Bhagavan in the state of deep sleep. Whenever at night, someone goes close to Him, they found
Him lying down but not asleep!  In the waking state, He sometimes goes into inward looking mind, with a vacant gaze. These
are all features of a Jnani, who is in jagrat sushupti. Once He was found snoring!  Major Chadwick asked Him: Bhagavan! Do\
you snore too?  Sri Bhagavan said: I was awake and the snoring came due to my congestion in nose. I myself knew that I
was snoring!

Can any one of us during that that material time, that we are snoring?  Only your wife should tell you next morning that
you were snoring!  That is the difference.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2012, 08:21:20 PM »
Dear Ramana,

Sri Bhagavan also says the similar ideas in His Tamizh translation of Verse 33 of Devi Kalottaram. The English translation
has been made by Arthur Osborne in Collected Works - English, and was later replaced by the translation of T.K. Jayaraman,
in the new editions of Collected Works - English.

The Verse states:

Due to sleep and due to thoughts the mind always loses its sharpness. It foolishness increases, and it goes to ruin.
Awakening this mind, with effort, and without allowing it to wander, establish it in the state of Self. Persevere in this
effort by fixing the mind again and again in its natural state.

Arunachala Siva.   

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2012, 08:37:43 PM »
Thank you, Sri Subramanian. I will.

Yes, deep sleep is like every other state different from Brahma-swarupa. It is not "more Atman" than any other state. Liberation means annihilation of vasanas. In deep sleep there is no active thoughts (mind) but vasanas are there in latent state. In this state you even cannot do Self-inquiry or whatever to try to realize Atman. But deep sleep is very important for recovery of the exhausted mind and body.
Can any one of us during that that material time, that we are snoring?  Only your wife should tell you next morning that
you were snoring!  That is the difference.

Actually there are many thing to which I am somehow aware during sleep. I am aware that mosquito is flying near my head but I don't wake up. When I wake up I "remember" that I was aware about mosquito during sleep. So somehow I was aware of the so called world and somehow I was in deep sleep. Something between wakeful and deep sleep. But I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced this state. Many people are. Bhagavan always says that in deep sleep there is no world. Actually all that is is play of the mind. Deep sleep, wakefulness, dreams, hallucinations, intermediate states and so on are just the mind.
Do you see? Bhagavan was "asleep" but He has aware of His snoring. He was aware of the world (His body) during sleep but this doesn't make the world more real for Him.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2012, 09:38:28 PM »
Due to sleep and due to thoughts the mind always loses its sharpness. It foolishness increases, and it goes to ruin.
Awakening this mind, with effort, and without allowing it to wander, establish it in the state of Self. Persevere in this
effort by fixing the mind again and again in its natural state.

Beautiful verse!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
Dear Ramana,

Yes. I agree with you.

However the word 'Awareness' is normally used only to denote the awareness of the Self within. For other things too, we use it
in day to day life.

Arunachala Siva.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2012, 08:44:15 PM »
We tried reasoning
our way to Him:
it did not work;
but the moment we gave up,
no obstacle remained.

- Hakim Sanai -

Remaining firmly in Self-abidance (atma-nishtha),without giving even the least room to the rising of any thought other than the thought of Self (atma-chintanai),is surrendering oneself to God. However much burden we throw on God, He bears all of it. Since the one Supreme Ruling Power (parameswara sakti) is performing all activities, why should we, instead of yielding ourself to it,constantly think. ‘I should act in this way; I should act in that way’? When we know that the train is bearing all the burdens, why should we who travel in it, instead of placing even our small luggage in it and being happily at ease,suffer by bearing it (our luggage) on our own head?

- Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi -

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »
Dear Ramana,

The second quote of Sri Bhagavan is from Who am I? - " Like a steam train takes all the burden, when we travel in it, why should
we carry the small baggage on your head? "

But though we understand this intellectually, we do not do it in day to day life. We think we only carry the burden. We only
think that we can solve the problems ourselves. We do not know that we do not succeed all the time!  Sometimes we may
succeed if there is God's will.  Otherwise we shall never be able to solve all of our problems.

Once Manavasi Ramasami Iyer's daughter was living in Kanpur in a third floor house. Due to water shortage, the supply
of water by the Municipality did not climb up to the third floor and only drops of water were coming in the third floor. The
daughter who was married also had been pregnant. How could she climb down and bring water. She was almost in tears.

So she started sitting before the tap, keeping a pot under, and started singing Saranagati Ramana, the famous song of
her father, Manavasi Ramaswami Iyer. Lo and behold, water started flowing and she could fill all the pots. This happened
day after day, continuously, till the water problem was totally solved in the town.

The girl's husband did not believe it. On Sunday he tried to test it. He simply placed a pot and was waiting for the water
to flow. The water did not flow!  The wife laughed and then told him: Sing, sing, Sing Saranagati Song. Then he sang,
and the water started flowing from the tap.

This happened in Kanpur just 100 years back. Believe it or not. It is recorded in one of the reminiscences of devotees.

There is another story - Sufi or Zen, I do not know. A man was weak and wanted God to accompany him  to a particular
place. God agreed. Both walked and reached the destination. Next day, the man said: I was seeing the footsteps of last
evening. But in some places, there was only one step and not two. Did you not accompany me all the time? God said:
I accompanied you all the time. Whenever you were too weak, I carried you on my shoulders. On such times, only my
foot step is seen and not yours.

Arunachala Siva     

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »
The ten thousand things flourish and then
each returns to the root from which it came.
Returning to the root is stillness.
Through stillness each fulfils its destiny.

- Lao Tzu -

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2012, 07:36:34 PM »
Dear Ramana,

Nice quote. Stillness is another name for Atma Swrupam. Sri Bhagavan says Atma mounam in Atma vidya kirtanam.

All great people have said the same thing. Only words may be different. That is all.

Arunachala Siva.

akash8m

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2012, 10:15:33 PM »
Dear Ramana,

The second quote of Sri Bhagavan is from Who am I? - " Like a steam train takes all the burden, when we travel in it, why should
we carry the small baggage on your head? "

But though we understand this intellectually, we do not do it in day to day life. We think we only carry the burden. We only
think that we can solve the problems ourselves. We do not know that we do not succeed all the time!  Sometimes we may
succeed if there is God's will.  Otherwise we shall never be able to solve all of our problems.

Once Manavasi Ramasami Iyer's daughter was living in Kanpur in a third floor house. Due to water shortage, the supply
of water by the Municipality did not climb up to the third floor and only drops of water were coming in the third floor. The
daughter who was married also had been pregnant. How could she climb down and bring water. She was almost in tears.

So she started sitting before the tap, keeping a pot under, and started singing Saranagati Ramana, the famous song of
her father, Manavasi Ramaswami Iyer. Lo and behold, water started flowing and she could fill all the pots. This happened
day after day, continuously, till the water problem was totally solved in the town.

The girl's husband did not believe it. On Sunday he tried to test it. He simply placed a pot and was waiting for the water
to flow. The water did not flow!  The wife laughed and then told him: Sing, sing, Sing Saranagati Song. Then he sang,
and the water started flowing from the tap.

This happened in Kanpur just 100 years back. Believe it or not. It is recorded in one of the reminiscences of devotees.

There is another story - Sufi or Zen, I do not know. A man was weak and wanted God to accompany him  to a particular
place. God agreed. Both walked and reached the destination. Next day, the man said: I was seeing the footsteps of last
evening. But in some places, there was only one step and not two. Did you not accompany me all the time? God said:
I accompanied you all the time. Whenever you were too weak, I carried you on my shoulders. On such times, only my
foot step is seen and not yours.

Arunachala Siva     

You can listen to the song "Saranagati Ramana" here in YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rBEhK2jxq4

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »
Thank you, akash8m.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2012, 10:39:59 PM »
Dear Ramana,

Nice quote. Stillness is another name for Atma Swrupam. Sri Bhagavan says Atma mounam in Atma vidya kirtanam.

All great people have said the same thing. Only words may be different. That is all.

Arunachala Siva.

Dear Sri Subramanian. Yes. Mouna is not just cessation of speech but of all mental activity and thoughts. When Mouna becomes permanent it is Atma Swarupam. 

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2012, 10:42:23 PM »
The Self is always realized. It is not necessary to seek to realize what is already and always real.

- Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharishi -

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2012, 10:45:41 PM »
Stillness means "being free from thoughts" and yet aware.

- Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharishi -

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
Dear Ramana 1939.

Yes. To be still free from thoughts, one can be aware of the Light within. Sri Muruganar says: pAyalaRRa manathavar thozhum....
One who prays to Him without the upsurge of thoughts, i.e. mind.  (Tiruchuzhal Padigam, Sri Ramana Sannidhi Murai.)

Arunachala Siva.