Author Topic: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta  (Read 173974 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Bible and christian quotes in the light of Advaita
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 06:38:39 PM »
Suppose a child, who is good in drawing and is really very slow in learning grammar, then how would the child feel, if it be told, you are bad, and to somebody, if we tell he is bad in grammar and keep reminding him about his badness to others, then that child would only develop complex and become an un-confident person.

Instead if we focus on the child's abilities of drawing, and praise the child to others about his drawing skills, then that child would blossom as great flower and would only have positive vibes around him, and he would make others smile and happy.

In the same way, instead of picking up the matters that are in black, from the scriptures of all religions, if we picked up the good quotes that makes ones faith higher and better that that is Dharma. Not picking the ones that are black and in doubt!

Interpretations are many! Isn't it ridiculous that in one of the Ramayana, RAMA IS PORTRAYED AS THE VILLAIN AND RAVANA HAS BEEN PORTRAYED AS THE HERO!

Recently, a movie was made in Hindi "Raavan" which portrayed Rama in bad shade and Ravana as the better person. Such kind of mentality should never be encouraged in the name of knowing what is right and wrong, absolutely not at the cost of goodness!

Lets focus only on the positive. Negative spirituality should never be encouraged, that which questions ones faith, should be abhorred and be rejected as poison.

We should make it a habit to never point out the weakness, where ever, what ever it may be, including scriptures. Always pointing out the GOOD THINGS in everything is the SANATHANA DHARMA way!

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:40:41 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 06:52:18 PM »

At least Lal Kishan Advani is quite truthful.  He has said: All Moslems are not terrorists but all terrorists [caught by government
of India, so far] are Moslems. Dr. Zakir Naik is insane when he says that all Moslems should become terrorists.

The very act of violence is in the blood of most of the Moslems.,  That is why, there is no democracy in almost 99% of Moslem nations.
Most of them are dictatorships, giving one revolution after another, with no stability in government. One dictator leaves his post only
on his assassination and another dictator comes only to be assassinated after a few years.  Or some of them are ousted by
public outrage. This has happened recently with Egypt's Mubarak and Libya's Mohammar Gadaffi. Sudan is now erupting.

Arunachala Siva.       

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2011, 07:05:24 PM »
Subramanian Sir,

Falsehood spreads like virus. Such people are virus really - They have their own interpretations of Quran, and in the name of Jihad, they do all nonsense. Some countries, they kill person, if they are found doing some silly mistakes, they are killed, by throwing stones and what not!

But, what I felt is, instead of referring to these incidents, if we ourselves, pick some verses from Quran and look for its meaning and essence, then, we will see the true essence of those verses, We should never take some commentary blindly! after all a commentary is mind's work and that commentators personal agenda would be incorporated in that work. That is why, I have been stressing, instead of quoting, who criticized what, and what has been criticized, if we quote "quotable quotes" that is great dharma, great Yajna, great sacrifice especially in this kali yuga!

When we talk about Muslims, instead of talking about Gaddafi, Osama Bin Laden and Mubarak, Zakir Naik, WE CAN TALK ABOUT DR. APJ ABDUL KALAM, Akbar, etc... that would make our muslim brethren feel secured, and would stop the hatred for them in our heart also (which is most important - that is what is happening) instead if we keep talking about the negative evils, that makes them rebel, and hate feelings creeps within ourselves! Because of some, many are hurt, the community is branded. just because some small drop of controversies and evil spreads like virus! When one is hurt what needs is not criticisms but words of "Hitham" Good positivity, Hope, happiness!

Talk only good, for it is really for thyself alone! when we talk bad about others, it creates hatred in us!

We should have that positive dimension... and positive outlook. The world needs that now. This is what i stress upon.. this is more important i felt.

similarly to the Christians and other Hindus as well. Everybody!

The Avatar of Kabir Shirdi Sai Baba throws much light on these aspects! by doing this, we are doing Dharma. Dharmo Rakshati Rakshatah

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:13:23 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »
Nagaraj garu,

That 2009 movie raavan you are talking about is directed by Mani Ratnam sir.

I think He wants to highlight dravida samskruthi which is very bad.

We all know how much extent some tamilians like periyar nand his wife went by throwing lord rama's idols in fire and praising ravana.

Even so called Mr Karunadhi also famously questioned Lord rama by asking "who is lord rama and from which engineering college did he gradudated.." thanks to mature tamilian like Subramanian swamy he made sure Mr karunanidhi know the basics.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »
Dear friends, I am afraid that every religion possesses element of fanaticism. Even in Hinduism - vaishnavism, saivism, shaktism, ganapatya. All of them like christianity and islam teach that their views are "right" and only their God is real or supreme. From my observations vaishnavas are the most intolerant among hinduists. Like they have a patent for Krishna or Rama and all other Gods are inferior and unimportant. May be the situation with the other denomination is the same. I cannot say. I have faced only with Hare Krishna community personally because I am not from India. They are so intolerant. The only difference from the christianity of the Middle Ages is that they didn't kill anybody in the name of their faith. They call others stupid, ignorant and so on. It's a part of every religion and culture.

Dear friends, brothers and sisters. Let they do what they are predestined to do. What they do is not their choice. Don't hate anybody, say ill to none! Don't judge! Be tolerant, patient and positive. Follow what you believe and go ahead! On this occasion I will quote two of my favorite Bible quotes:

“Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”
Luke 6:37, 38

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Matthew 22:34-40
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 08:36:23 PM by ramana1359 »
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2011, 08:48:30 PM »

Dear prasanth,

You should be knowing some truths about answers given to Periyar and Karunanidhi:

1. When K asked what engg college Rama studied, one simple reader of the Hindu asked him: What engineering college
Karikal Chozhan studied, since he has built Grand Anicut in Thanjavur district, a dam which has no seen any major repairs
since 1000 years!  What engg college did King Raja Raja study, to build Thanjavur Big Temple, in which the single tower
in the middle is an architectural marvel. This temple is also 1000 years old.

2. Periyar had a Vinayaka Temple inside his house!

3. When Karunanidhi was arrested by Jayalalitha during her earlier tenure about 10 years back, in the midnight, and when
police pushed him to the downstairs to get into the jeep, he cried, Ayyo, Muruga, they are going to kill me. Muruga save me!
This video clipping was shown in Sun TV!

4. For attaining bail for Kanimozhi, her mother Rajathi, one of the three wives of K is going for Navagraha Pradakshina every
day in Chennai in an obscure temple, without anyone knowing it.

5. Poor Raja has not such godly supporters for him to do archana and pradakshina for Navagraha!

Arunachala Siva.         

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2011, 09:16:09 PM »
That 2009 movie raavan you are talking about is directed by Mani Ratnam sir.
I think He wants to highlight dravida samskruthi which is very bad.

Dear Prashant ji, just want to point out that Dravida Samskara is not what what Mani Ratnam portrayed or what Periyar or Karunanidhi portray, that is wrong. Dravida Samskara is Vedic Samskara.

Equating Dravida with DMK party or ADMK party and periyar or karunanidhi is wrong. What these people portray is far from the true spirit of Dravida.

Another myth is the Aryan-Dravidian theory. Some westerner interpretted the Aryans as white skinned and Dravidians as black skins, and in the vedic mantras there are many versed that portray fight between the whites and black which really meant the fight between the Asuras and Suras (Devas) actually a fight between the Good and Bad within oneself, but the westerners interpretted this as white and black and created an artificial divide between the Aryans and Dravidians. This did not exist before 200 years.

Dravidian samskara goes back to Agastya, Murugan, Cholas, Pandyas. Not Mani Ratnam, Karunanidhi or Periyar....

True Dravidian Samskara, you can find in the Nayanmar stories, from the very many tamil stories.

:)

Salutations to Bhagavan

« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:06:49 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2011, 10:27:34 PM »
Dear Ramana,

That is beautifully conveyed - "Tolerance" has to be our (a Sadhaka) staple diet.

There is one beautiful verse of wisdom in sanskrit -

पिण्डे पिण्डे मतिर्भिन्ना कुण्डे कुण्डे नवं पय: |
जातौ जातौ नवाचारा: नवा वाणी मुखे मुखे ||

Varied is the intellect in different people; varied is the (taste in) water from different sources; varied are the customs for different descents; varied are the speech from different visages.

Each person (pinDah) has different aptitude / opinion (no two brains are alike). water in different ponds differ. different casts / communities have their own ways of life. ( they have their own rules and regulations etc.) each mouth speaks different language. There is a diversity in this world. No two things are same. This to some extent explains our (Sanatana Dharma) tolerance towards different religions / cultures. we accept that all cant be same. By this we alow other to be 'different' and follow their own way.

धर्म यो बाधते धर्मा न स धर्मः कुधर्मकः ।
अविरोधात्तु यो धर्मः स धर्मः सत्यविक्रम ॥

That faith (dharma) which opposes another faith is not a real faith. Its fake. That faith which believes in univeral tolerance is the real faith.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:32:38 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2011, 10:38:03 PM »
Very profound verse indeed, Nagaraj! Thank you! This reminded me about a part of Dhammapada of Lord Buddha. He has said:

"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Live with such thoughts and you live in hate.
"Look how he abused me and hurt me,
How he threw me down and robbed me."
Abandon such thoughts, and live in love.
In this world
Hate never yet dispelled hate.
Only love dispels hate.
This is the law,
Ancient and inexhaustible.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2011, 10:51:02 PM »
Excellent quote ramana :) !  here are some more nice quotes of sai baba -

• Live together, revere each other, let not the seeds of envy and hate grow and choke the clear stream of Love.
  • There is only one royal road for the spiritual journey...Love Be Silent yourself, that will induce Silence in others.
  • Love all men without distinction, Know that mankind is a single community.
  • - Ego lives by getting and forgetting;
    - Love lives by giving and forgiving;
    - Love is expansion;
    - Self is contraction;
    - Self is lovelessness;
    - Love is selflessness.
Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 10:52:34 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2011, 10:59:37 PM »
Thank you, Nagaraj! And because this topic is about Christianity and Advaita I want to post this symbol and we never to forget one of its most profound meanings which is "Kill the ego and be free":
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 11:01:21 PM by ramana1359 »

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2011, 11:19:13 PM »
well said subramanian garu and yes that is a slapping reply by the hindu reader.

nagaraj garu yes you are right sir few people like mani ratnam etc are mis-intrepreting dravida samsruthi and thanks for letting us know about the truths sir.

Dear ramana,

Those bible quotes are great but honestly i feel the depth which sanatana dharma scriptures have is missing in other scriptures like bible,quran etc.

All other scriptures don't really touch on root causes of misery like desires,ego,attachment,5 elements in nature,3 gunas etc etc.

If you read scriptures like bhagavad gita you will know from where i am coming from.

Other scriptures like bible and quran are probably good for starters like they say "Do Good See Good Be Good" to all and your neighbours etc etc but don't really stress on why we should do good etc.

If one is serious and want to understand within then sanatana dharma is the final destination is my personal opinion.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2011, 01:25:06 AM »
This article gives details regarding Jesus In India

http://www.sol.com.au/kor/7_01.htm

However there is one theory which says that there is no historical evidence whatsoever about the life and death of jesus.
They say jesus appears to be a mythical figure created to destabilise Judaism.

Anyways there are various theories and we donot know what is real and i suggest we stop discussing about other gods and their teachings and concentrate on bhagavan ramana.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2011, 07:34:53 AM »
Prasanth, it seems you are not inclined to Jesus and Muhammad teachings. If I am right there is nothing wrong with it.
We cannot ignore and the stigma the church has put on Jesus' pure teachings, nor the muslim's fanatical interpetation of the Quran over the centuries. But it doesn't mean that they are wrong or inferior. Their teachings were according to the spiritual maturity of the community they have spoken of. The cows can have different colors of the skin but they all give white milk. The mature spiritual seeker will behave properly, speak truthfully, act rightly no matter what his/her religion is. Christianity is not only the church. Gnosticism and mystical christianity are counterparts of Hindu's Advaita. Sufism is the muslim accordance of nonduality. The differences and the names come from the mind - our dear friend and the greatest enemy.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
Dear ramana sir,

I 100% agree with you andi.

As you said their teachings were according to the spiritual maturity of the community they have spoken of.