Author Topic: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta  (Read 174890 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta
« Reply #885 on: February 25, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »
Disciple: Different spiritual persons say different things. How to find out which is the highest? Our choice is not necessarily that of the highest.

Mother: Each one goes to the limit of his consciousness. I have met many persons in Europe, India and Japan practicing yoga under different masters. Each claimed that his realization was the highest, he was quite sure about it and also quite satisfied with his condition, and yet each one was standing at a different place in consciousness and saying that he has attained the highest.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #886 on: February 25, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »
Sri Ramakrishna: Only two kinds of people can attain self-knowledge: those who are not encumbered at all with learning, that is to say, whose minds are not over-crowded with thoughts borrowed from others; and those who, after studying all the scriptures and sciences, have come to realise that they know nothing.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #887 on: February 25, 2015, 08:48:37 PM »

Hari

• View Profile
Conversation between Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda
« Reply #888 on: February 26, 2015, 03:25:02 PM »
Swami Vivekanand:- I can?t find free time. Life has become hectic.

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- Activity gets you busy. But productivity gets you free.

Swami Vivekanand:- Why has life become complicated now?

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- Stop analyzing life. It makes it complicated. Just live it.

Swami Vivekanand:- Why are we then constantly unhappy?

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- Worrying has become your habit. That?s why you are not happy.

Swami Vivekanand:- Why do good people always suffer?

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- Diamond cannot be polished without friction. Gold cannot be purified without fire. Good people go through trials, but don?t suffer. With that experience their life becomes better, not bitter.

Swami Vivekanand:- You mean to say such experience is useful?

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- Yes. In every term, Experience is a hard teacher. She gives the test first and the lessons afterwards.

Swami Vivekanand:- Because of so many problems, we don?t know where we are heading?

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- If you look outside you will not know where you are heading. Look inside. Eyes provide sight. Heart provides the way.

Swami Vivekanand:- Does failure hurt more than moving in the right direction?

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- Success is a measure as decided by others. Satisfaction is a measure as decided by you.

Swami Vivekanand:- In tough times, how do you stay motivated?

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- Always look at how far you have come rather than how far you have to go. Always count your blessing, not what you are missing.

Swami Vivekanand:- What surprises you about people?

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- When they suffer they ask, ?why me?? When they prosper, they never ask ?Why me??

Swami Vivekanand:- How can I get the best out of life?

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- Face your past without regret. Handle your present with confidence. Prepare for the future without fear.

Swami Vivekanand:- One last question. Sometimes I feel my prayers are not answered.

Ramkrishna Paramahansa:- There are no unanswered prayers. Keep the faith and drop the fear. Life is a mystery to solve, not a problem to resolve. Trust me. Life is wonderful if you know how to live.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #889 on: February 26, 2015, 03:32:59 PM »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: February 26, 2015, 06:55:50 PM »
Hari,
The conversation between Sri Ramakrishna and Vivekananda is fictitious.This is not from any authentic source.Please check it out.
Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: February 26, 2015, 11:27:59 PM »
Sri Ravi,
yes, I had such suspicion mainly because the style of Sri Ramakrishna's answers were not much like Him. :) Thank you.

I want to ask you something also. A time ago I downloaded some book for Sri Ramakrishna which was very volumetric. It was claimed it was as much important and authentic as The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna. But I lost it. Do you have an idea which was that book. It was more than 1000 pages like the Gospel. I think there was stories about His life or something in this vein. I did not start reading it so I cannot give you specific direction.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #892 on: February 26, 2015, 11:37:46 PM »
In Tokyo in the Meiji era there lived two prominent teachers of opposite characteristics. One, Unsho, an instructor in Shingon, kept Buddha's precepts scrupulously. He never drank intoxicants, nor did he eat after eleven o'clock in the morning. The other teacher, Tanzan, a professor of philosophy at the Imperial University, never observed the precepts. When he felt like eating, he ate, and when he felt like sleeping in the daytime, he slept.

One day Unsho visited Tanzan, who was drinking wine at the time, not even a drop of which is supposed to touch the tongue of a Buddhist.

"Hello, brother," Tanzan greeted him. "Won't you have a drink?"

"I never drink!" exclaimed Unsho solemnly.

"One who does not drink is not even human," said Tanzan.

"Do you mean to call me inhuman just because I do not indulge in intoxicating liquids!" exclaimed Unsho in anger. "Then if I am not human, what am I?"

"A Buddha," answered Tanzan.

shiba

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: February 27, 2015, 04:50:15 AM »
Though I am a Japanease I haven't know well about Tanzan and Unsyo till now . shame.

Tanzan(原 坦山) renounced the world and became a Zen monk when he was 20 (or 26). After he realized the truth, he become the first professor of  Indian philosophy at the Imperial University.

Another intersting story about Tanzan. I have known the content but I haven't know it is about Tanzan.

When Tanzan was young, he was on training journey with another monk. They came to a big river, and there was no brigde, no boat. Taking their clothes off, they tried to cross the river, and they saw a young woman being at a loss not to cross the river.

Tanzan, without least hesitation, saying, " I will carry you on my back and help you to cross the river", carrying her on his back he helped the woman to cross the river. After that the two men further continued the journey, but after a while, another monk blamed Tanzan, " Though you are monk who renouned the world, aren't you be ashamed of yourself for touching the woman".

It is said that then Tanzan said to him, " Are you still hugging the woman? I put down her completely when I finished crossing the river."

shiba

• View Profile
« Reply #894 on: February 27, 2015, 04:58:44 AM »
Correction.

When Tanzan crossed the river, he carried the woman in his arms, not on his back :).

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: February 27, 2015, 06:01:54 AM »
Hari,

yes, I had such suspicion mainly because the style of Sri Ramakrishna's answers were not much like Him.

How about 'Vivekanand's' questions?Don't they sound hollow?

The question and answer session is nothing but  'creativity' of some third grade management Guru aspiring to be a spiritual guru!Nowadays it is pretty common for a management Guru to take on the mantle of a spiritual guru and vice versa-everything is okay as long as it brings Kubera's blessings(Dollars!)

I want to ask you something also. A time ago I downloaded some book for Sri Ramakrishna which was very volumetric. It was claimed it was as much important and authentic as The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna. But I lost it. Do you have an idea which was that book. It was more than 1000 pages like the Gospel. I think there was stories about His life or something in this vein. I did not start reading it so I cannot give you specific direction.

I think the book that you are referring to is 'Sri Ramakrishna,The Great Master' by his disciple Swami Saradananda.Although Swami Saradananda is a direct disciple of Sri Ramakrishna and had taken pains to compile this book-I will not say that it is as authentic as The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna.
The Reasons are:
1.Swami Saradananda began writing this book a long time after sri Ramakrishna had passed away-so much of it is from memory.
2.He gathered material from other people who had moved with Sri Ramakrishna-so there are likelihood of inaccuracies on account of this 'hearsay'
3.The Swami interprets the doings of the Masster in his Light and this is what Swami Vivekananda refrained from doing-Trying to paint Siva and end up drawing the picture of a monkey!Although Swami Saradananda was a Great soul,yet the 'interpretative' element comes into play and I have found that sometimes instead of clarifying it may tend to cloud the understanding of the Reader.

Valuable as this book is,I would say that it does not match The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna -The Gospel is a unique book that is untainted by any sort of 'interpretation' and brings the exact words and conversations of Sri Ramakrishna as it happened.

You may take a preview of the kindle version of the Book 'Sri Ramakrishna,The Great Master' by Swami Saradananda from this site:
http://www.amazon.com/Ramakrishna-The-Great-Master-Swami-Saradananda-ebook/dp/B0083BJDME

The Kindle version allows  'copy and paste' thus facilitating excerpts to be shared.

The pdf ebook version is available as a free download from this site.This is a scanned version and it is not possible to share excerpts.Please check:
www.estudantedavedanta.net

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: February 27, 2015, 06:10:28 AM »
Hari/Friends,
I shall post a couple of Excerpts from 'sri Ramakrishna ,The Great Master' pertaing to the extraordinary love that the Master had for Narendra (Swami Vivekananda), in the Rough Notebook thread.
Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #897 on: February 27, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »
Yes, dear shiba,
this reminds me about the Bhagavan's explanation about married people and sannyasins. Actually the attachments are in the mind. The place and situation is almost immaterial. :)

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: February 27, 2015, 08:42:23 PM »
Yes, Sri Ravi, I think that's the book I meant. I don't know about its authenticity but from the excerpts you have posted it does not seem to be so attractive and beautiful as the Gospel but I will give it a try.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 02, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »
Mhm, Sri Ravi, I read the first 150 pages from the book and definately take my words back. This book is beautiful and I don't know what the 'learned' people think but I feel that this book is as much correct and authorative as the Gospel. And it is full of love and devotion. Thank you again for helping me find it. This is actually the book I needed right now.