Author Topic: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta  (Read 174178 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta
« Reply #825 on: March 08, 2014, 06:26:45 PM »
"People are like dirt. They can either nourish you and help you grow as a person or they can stunt your growth and make you wilt and die." [Plato]
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
My first musing called "If my ideal is the right one"
« Reply #826 on: March 08, 2014, 11:22:35 PM »
This are my musings which my heart wanted to share today, exactly in this topic which started because of my deep desire to know the Truth. This is the first of my series of posts.
Many things changed in me since the beginning and this is quite normal. Everyone changes. But there is something which did not change in me. I am sure it did not change in any of you. This is the desire to solve the problem of impermanence and unhappiness and to find the eternal happiness. So many sincere devotees, so many sencere answers and thoughts. This is what grabbed me to be here. Not only Ramana. I could read His books and not bother coming here. But the love and enthusiasm, the restlessness for the Truth which shines in this forum has more attractive power than the most powerful magnet. And I realized that people here are different. Yes, they are all devotees of Ramana more or less and accept His teachings but everyone is so unique. This made me realize that everyone has different understanding of what happiness is. Some believes that realizing the Self is the Goal. Others that serving at God's feet is the Goal. Everyone has his/her own ideal. But isn't the happiness the real ideal disguised as different searches, paths, religions, philosophies, desires, points of view, etc.? We all have changed our attitude towards life, religion or philosophy but our goal is the same, unchanged. Actually our desire for happiness is the only permanent thing in all this impermanent world. And then I asked myself ? why would I try to prove the others the Self is the goal when without any doubt many people does not share my ideal. If there is a eternal heaven where there are devotees who ecstatically serve the Lord intoxicated by the Love for Him then why should I try to change their mind and to convince them that they must overcome this and go 'beyond' to be liberated? Or that no matter if they want or not they will disappear in the ocean of the Self? Does the trying to kill the ideal of the other do any good to anybody (us or them)? Isn't that cruel? But if there is teaching which leads to the realization of Absolute and Only one Truth (for example Advaita), is supporting the Visishtadvaita or Dvaita do we not do harm to their followers, keeping silent about the Truth? "The Goal is one" most Sages say? But the Goal for the Christians is the heaven with Jesus, for the Muslims ? the heaven with Allah and His prophets. The Goal for Vaishnavas is Vaikuntha. The Goal for Shaivas is Kailasha. The Goal for Advaitin is the self-extinction and being the Absolute. So where is the Oneness of the Goal. There is much more diversity than Oneness. Is the Goal one? Or they are many, equally true and real? Or there is no Goal and searching It is an illusion? For me as a human who communes with other people drawn in spirituality the answers of these questions are important. This is my first musing which I called "If my ideal is the right one". Please, feel free to share your thoughts.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 09, 2014, 08:08:53 AM »
Hari,
Wonderful post by you.I would like to say that I was drawn to this forum on account of your posts,perhaps in this thread -where you were raising an earnest point(paraphrased)-"If God is only a Dream how can i ever pray to him?" and was not getting heard.It was this or  a variant of this theme that you were raising and I felt that it was not getting the attention and not being a member then,I posted a response through our friend ksatk(Krishna).I still find yourself trying to reconcile this with the inexorable  advaitic Truth.
The Fundamental thing to be understood is that unity is not uniformity.Unity is something that is quite at ease with diversity.The Theme is one but its expressions are many.
An analogy from Music may help-An oboe playing a Note ,say E-flat sounds different than a flute playing the same note-E-Flat;this is on account of Harmonics that gives what is called the timbre,the tone that characterizes that particular instrument;when the instruments play together it adds to the colour of the music ,although the theme remains the same!
To illustrate ,I recommend this piece of wonderful music by Benjamin Britten-where the individual instrument sections ,i.e the Strings,the woodwinds,the Brass and the Percussion all combine to play the composition-Variations on a theme of Henry purcel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HhTMJ2bek0

We may think of the orchestra as a complex instrument played by the conductor-and the Music is the Goal;It is music whether played loud or soft,whether played by a single instrument as long as that instrument serve the music.

Sri Ramakrishna referring to this variety of expression says:

MYSELF: "What is the difference between a Hindu and a Brahmo?"
MASTER: "There is not much difference. In the serenade we have here, one flutist plays a single note right along, while another plays various melodies. The Brahmos play one note, as it were; they hold to the formless aspect of God. But the Hindus bring out different melodies; that is to say they enjoy God in His various aspects.
"The formless Deity and God with form may be likened to water and ice. The water freezes into ice. The ice melts into water through the heat of jnana. Water takes the form of ice through the cooling influence of bhakti".
"The Reality is one. People give It various names. Take the case of a lake with four landing-ghats on its four banks. People who draw water at one ghat call it 'jal', and those who draw it at the second ghat call it 'pani'. At the third ghat they call it 'water', and at the fourth, 'aqua'. But it is one and the same thing water."

Again,we have this conversation in The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:
The evening worship in the temples was over. Sri Ramakrishna was again seated in his room with M.
M. had been visiting the Master for the past two years and, had received his grace and blessings. He had been told that God was both with form and without form, that He
assumed forms for the sake of His devotees. To the worshipper of the formless God, the Master said: "Hold to your conviction, but remember that all is possible with God. He has form, and again, He is formless. He can be many things more."
MASTER (to M.): "You have accepted an ideal, that of God without form-isn't that so?"
M: "Yes, sir. But I also believe what you say-that all is possible with God. It is quite possible for God to have forms.?
MASTER: "Good. Remember further that, as Consciousness, He pervades the entire universe of the living and non-living."
M: "I think of Him as the consciousness in conscious beings."
MASTER: "Stick to that ideal now. There is no need of tearing down and changing one's attitude. You will gradually come to realize that the consciousness in conscious beings is the Consciousness of God. He alone is Consciousness".

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 09, 2014, 08:34:18 AM »
Hari,
I am copying what I have expressed in the Rough notebook -open forum thread :

The path of mind or jnana is a way of Rejection,it rejects everything as unreal to arrive at Truth.
The Path of the heart(seat of Love) or Devotion accepts everything as coming from God to arrive at Truth.

Both are equally valid and it is a matter of temperament and predilection of the aspirant as to the path through which he is lead

To add to this,I will just say that some may outwardly express one thing while inwardly they may cherish the other!They do not see any contradiction in this and are perfectly reconciled to the unity that underlies these approaches.

Namaskar.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 09, 2014, 09:41:57 AM »
Hari/Friends,
Coming to the so called 'Goal',I will post the conversations with Latu Maharaj(Swami AdbhutAnanda in the Rough-Notebook -Open Thread-He was called as Adbhutananda on account of his wonderful Realization-He was a 'servant boy' , totally untutored,unread and who did not even know the alphabets.He came to Sri Ramakrishna and was transformed into a paramahamsa)
Namaskar.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: March 09, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
Quote from Sri Ravi:
"To add to this, I will just say that some may outwardly express one thing while inwardly they may cherish the other! They do not see any contradiction in this and are perfectly reconciled to the unity that underlies these approaches."

"The Fundamental thing to be understood is that unity is not uniformity. Unity is something that is quite at ease with diversity. The Theme is one but its expressions are many."

Dear Sri Ravi,

Ji, yes. Wonderful insights! Thanks very much, Sir.

Pranam,
 Anil

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:29:05 PM by eranilkumarsinha »

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 09, 2014, 02:56:53 PM »
Dear Sri Ravi,
unfortunately holistic Sages like Sri Ramakrishna are complete rarety. We cannot deny that. The others somehow willingly or unwillingly try to "convert" you to Their own belief or experience. And this I feel more like a harm than good. How many Sages you can name Who will accept your desire if you say "I believe in Vaikuntha being my last Abode. There is my Final Goal - to live with Lord Vishnu for eternity"?

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 09, 2014, 08:46:27 PM »

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 10, 2014, 07:08:27 AM »
Hari,
There is this wonderful excerpt from Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay on Self-Reliance:

There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till. The power which resides in him is new in nature, and none but he knows what that is which he can do, nor does he know until he has tried.

Why look upto others,be they sages,when our heart is set on an ideal-if that ideal be like what you have put:"I believe in Vaikuntha being my last Abode. There is my Final Goal - to live with Lord Vishnu for eternity"?

Sadhana is to immediately set about establishing this link with God and allowing him to lead us to wherever He wills.As long as we have the Divine company,what does it matter whither we go,even if it be to Hell!Why bother whether there is any place better than Hell or whether there is anyone dearer than God or whether there is any State more advanced than God Consciousness?

Here is a wonderful conversation from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

JAYGOPAL: "How can we know that all paths are true?"
MASTER: "A man can reach God if he follows one path rjghtly. Then he can learn about all the other paths. It is like reaching the roof by some means or other. Then one is able to climb down by the wooden or stone stairs, by a bamboo pole, or even by a rope.
"A devotee can know everything when God's grace descends on him. If you but realize Him, you will be able to know all about Him. You should somehow meet the master of a house and become acquainted with him; then he himself will tell you how many houses he owns and all about his gardens and government seurities."

Again He says:

"God talked to me. It was not merely His vision. Yes, He talked to me. Under the banyan-tree I saw Him coming from the ganges. Then we laughed so much! By way of
playing with me He cracked my fingers. Then He talked. Yes, He talked to me.
"For three days I wept continuously. And He revealed to me what is in the Vedas, the Puranas, the Tantras, and the other scriptures".

This is the Great lesson to be learnt-to rely totally on God and not on this theory or that theory ,however logical and irrefutable it may be.The simple way is the way of prayer-to put all our soul into it and establish the connection with God who is the fount of all wisdom.He himself will then teach us all that we need to know and take us wherever we need to go.

Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: March 11, 2014, 12:30:32 AM »
Thank you, Sri Ravi! Some series of posts of yours helped me very much. It was the words of Kanchi Mahaswami. http://www.ramana-maharshi.info/forum/index.php?topic=7697.msg46165#msg46165. They were some of the most useful words for me that I have read along with those of Sri Ramakrishna and Sri Ramana.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 12, 2014, 06:17:24 AM »
Hari,

It was the words of Kanchi Mahaswami. http://www.ramana-maharshi.info/forum/index.php?topic=7697.msg46165#msg46165. They were some of the most useful words for me that I have read along with those of Sri Ramakrishna and Sri Ramana.

Yes,indeed the words of  Kanchi Mahaswami are verily nectar and they carry conviction and allay all doubts.
Namaskar
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 06:19:26 AM by Ravi.N »

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 23, 2014, 09:13:44 AM »
Mr. Frydman: Janaka was a Jnani and still he ruled his dominions. Does not action require activity of the mind? What is the rationale of the working of a jnani's mind?
Ramana Maharshi: You say, "Janaka was a Jnani and yet active, etc." Does Janaka ask the question? The question is in your mind only. The Jnani is not aware of anything besides the Self. He has no doubts of the kind.
Mr. Frydman: Probably it is like a dream. Just as we speak of our dreams, so they think of their actions.
Ramana Maharshi: Even the dream, etc. is in your mind. This explanation too is in your mind only.
Mr. Frydman: Yes. I see. All is Ramana-Maya - made up of the Self.
Ramana Maharshi: If so, there will be no duality and no talk.
Mr. Frydman: A man, on realising the Self, can help the world more effectively. Is it not so?
Ramana Maharshi: If the world be apart from the Self.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 26, 2014, 04:45:46 AM »
"The secret of health for both mind and body is not to mourn for the past, worry about the future, or anticipate troubles, but to live in the present moment wisely and earnestly." [Buddha]

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 28, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 31, 2014, 09:30:17 PM »
When one devotee asked if it would be possible to prostrate before Sri Ramana and touch his feet, he replied: "The real feet of Bhagavan exist only in the heart of the devotee. To hold onto these feet incessantly is true happiness. You will be disappointed if you hold onto my physical feet because one day this physical body will disappear. The greatest worship is worshipping the Guru's feet that are within oneself."