Author Topic: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta  (Read 174751 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta
« Reply #600 on: September 06, 2013, 05:56:15 PM »
Hari, Socrates expressed -

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.

I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.

The Self has nothing to know, for it itself is unknowable!

The nature of Self is Not Known!

--

Now my mind is thinking about Socrates: "Wisest man on earth" :)
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 06, 2013, 06:00:38 PM »
So Hari,

we now can know, and express about what Self is Not, but it would be a folly to express about the Self itself! We know that Self is none of what we may know or feel or say!

Therefore by not knowing, we really know! This is the real Knowing!

There is a saying in Kena Upanishad and a saying in tamil, those who have seen, have seen not, and those who have not seen, have really seen it!

:)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 06, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »
Hari,

some time back, i came to this conclusion. i have expressed in my musings -

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7164.msg41698#msg41698

Stray Thoughts...

Faith in Guru increases as the dependence on the Guru reduces.

True knowing is really not knowing.

New found clarity does not last for ever.

Unknown is truly the only known.

Parents are truly the only Pratyaksha Deva (Visible God)

This is not any self marketing, just reliving my those moments... as this present context is perfectly results in this!

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 06, 2013, 06:13:13 PM »
Yes, Sri Nagaraj. :)
There is another thing which troubles me but it apparently does not trouble anyone of the people here. And it is about bhaktas. The bhaktas really love God and they do what they do for eternal 'relationship' with the Lord. They long for eternal bhakti - christians, muslims, hare krishnas, shaiva siddhantas and so on. But Advaita philosophy 'deny' it. It tells that such people are ignorant, that this kind of bhakti cannot give them emancipation. That sooner or later they must 'drop off' the Image of the Lord and so on. This somehow ruins my view of the 'tolerant attitude' of Advaita. This is first. Second, Advaita says that the Ishvara is not eternal. So this again 'offends' bhaktas saying that they worship some changeable Entity.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 06, 2013, 06:17:10 PM »
Hari,

some time back, i came to this conclusion. i have expressed in my musings -

http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=7164.msg41698#msg41698

Stray Thoughts...

Faith in Guru increases as the dependence on the Guru reduces.

True knowing is really not knowing.

New found clarity does not last for ever.

Unknown is truly the only known.

Parents are truly the only Pratyaksha Deva (Visible God)

This is not any self marketing, just reliving my those moments... as this present context is perfectly results in this!

Something like :) :

A student went to his meditation teacher and said, "My meditation is horrible! I feel so distracted, or my legs ache, or I'm constantly falling asleep. It's just horrible!"

"It will pass," the teacher said matter-of-factly.

A week later, the student came back to his teacher. "My meditation is wonderful! I feel so aware, so peaceful, so alive! It's just wonderful!'

"It will pass," the teacher replied matter-of-factly.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 06, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
Dear Hari,

Clouds are there.  They only veil the Sun.  But at the same time they are also coming from the Sun.  The Sun heats the oceans.
and from that clouds rise and clouds give rains.  But the clouds are not the Sun.  Sun is quite far from the earth.  But the
clouds come due to Sun.  Clouds are not Sun.  When the clouds go away, the Sun reveals all its l brightness.

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 06, 2013, 06:38:38 PM »
Hari,

Truly, Advaita Siddhanta has no problems with any path. This is why classic advaita followers reject the neo advaitins. Classic traditional followers celebrate life, celebrate everything. Also Hari, it matters who says what! Why really bother ourselves what many may have to say in the streets and markets? What matters is what those persons have said whom we see in our heart. What matters is what Bhagavan has said, what Jesus has said what Ramakrishna has said, what Buddha has said, what Krishna has said, what Dalai Lama has said. Over all WHAT YOUR HEART SAYS! why bother about all other sundry tom dick and harry? :D

Even when i said all the above persons, put the head of Bhagavan the hands of Jesus, the Torso of Ramakrishna, the legs of Buddha the eyes of Jesus the ears of ... see them as ONE. What each one has said ought to be seen together. Compile one single book of Vedas Bible, Buddha, Gita, Quran as ONE.

Today i observed, Hari, that Bhakti is the prasadam of attainment/Jnana, Bhakti cannot be practiced, it is a boon given, it is flower that blooms upon the descent of grace. Only the rare ones are blessed with it. Only Jnani is Bhakta and only Bhakta is a Jnani

Therefore, what people really claim Bhakti is not really Bhakti. If you can re visit the bhakti story posted in Bhagavatam, we can see the essence of True Bhakti.

Just Bhakti is incomplete without Jnana and Vairagya - Only together it becomes Complete Bhakti
Just Jnana is incomplete without Bhakti and Vairagya - Only together it becomes Complete Jnana
Just Vairagya is incomplete without Bhakti and Jnana - Only together it becomes Complete Vairagya

Some other random thoughts:

Sanyasam is true Bhakti. Sanyasa is to celebrate life, celebrate everything. Even the taking of Sanyasa is not of renunciation, but of acceptance, of all embracing, it is not renunciation actually, sanyasa is surrendering of narrow mindedness and all embracing.

Sanyasa is discarding the limitations and embracing the unlimitedness. Sanyasa is True Bhakti. Sanyasa is like erasing a black dod in a plain white paper, when it is erased, what remains is just plain white unlimited paper as the sky.

--
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:43:54 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 06, 2013, 07:08:07 PM »
Yes, Sri Nagaraj but see how I look this.
Everyone wants to follow his/her own ideal. And everyone is searching an ideal which is perfection itself, which is beyond time and space, beyond change and so on. So people who worship Krishna or Rama they see in them the eternal Name, Form, the Creator and so on. How does one feel in your opinion if you tell him/her that Rama and Krishna's Forms are Maya, are temporal, that They exist only until you exist and so on. Don't you think that this offends their ideal for Rama and Krishna? And how could such devotee to worship TRULY a God Who is not eternal? This immediately injure the faith and enthusiasm and make you even more sad because if this is true than even God one day will 'leave' you.  I hope you got my point.

P.S. I agree completely with your last post. :)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 06, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »
Dear Hari, let there be space for both. Let each of us follow our own ideal. If somebody doesn't believe in A, so be it, and if you are uncomfortable in B, so be it. Let it be as it is. each one need not change for the other, and there need not be any consensus between anybody or any groups.

The problem arises when each one speaks their ideal and truly speaking happens only in half journey. If each one truly realises ones ideal, such a one will simply remain silent. Remaining silent is not really not getting involved or rather remaining like Ramana or Ramakrishna, such one will exhibit his own uniqueness.

Moreover all these happen half way, where either of the parties have not realised their own ideal. If one at least have realised their ideal, there would not be any issue.

Also. Each one sees in the eyes of the other. In Fact, it is just yourself who art seeing in the eyes of the opposite party as well., If you realise this, we repose and will not have any issues :) That everyone wants to follow his/her own ideal is also your own observation, is it not? it is how you have observed. Everything is our own making in the end.

As Bhagavan says, if each mind their own business all will be well. :)

Getting ourselves involved in other peoples journeys actually in in some ways an adultery.

Nobody is going to get any confirmation from anybody, ultimately each one is ones own conformer. One has to be content with ones own intelligence within, purified, polished and humble!

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 06, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »
So this means that there is not right and wrong path and philosophy. If it is so I completely agree, no matter that there is no any logic in that assumption. :)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 06, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »
Just gracefully Unconditional!

:)

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 06, 2013, 08:30:03 PM »
Om Shanti! Shanti! Shanti! :)

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 06, 2013, 08:37:16 PM »
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of My hand. My Father, which gave them Me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of My Father's hand. I and my Father are one."
[Lord Jesus Christ]

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 07, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »
Hari,

How does one feel in your opinion if you tell him/her that Rama and Krishna's Forms are Maya, are temporal, that They exist only until you exist and so on. Don't you think that this offends their ideal for Rama and Krishna? And how could such devotee to worship TRULY a God Who is not eternal? This immediately injure the faith and enthusiasm and make you even more sad because if this is true than even God one day will 'leave' you.  I hope you got my point.

You may like to  go through my posts in response to one who called himself as 'Z' in David's blog -'Imaginary' Bhakti versus 'Rational' Jnana.you may have to wade through the maze of other posts!Hope it will be of some help.
http://sri-ramana-maharshi.blogspot.in/2011/05/open-thread.html?commentPage=6

The Devotee 'Z' is an admirer of U G Krishnamurthy;Yet he  could not entirely dismiss Sri Ramakrishna's sayings and life as well!Z is an Indian now residing in UK.He is quite conversant with the 'Traditional' and culture of India.I have taken this Background of his ,and has quoted extensively from Kanchi Mahaswami's writings on 'Soundarya lahari'.This may be a little bit of distracting stuff for you.It will suffice to say that Kanchi Mahaswami explains how all the 'Rational' arguements that are employed in the path of Jnana are in vain if they are applied to the path of Bhakti.The path of Bhakti  is validated in its own way and does not need any other prop by way of rationalization.In fact Rationalizations smother the flame of Bhakti(Please note that we are discussing the Path or approach and there is definitely a Difference here.We cannot be brushing it aside by the cliched statement-Jnana is Bhakti and Bhakti is jnana)

Namaskar

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 07, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »
Sri Ravi, very interesting! Thank you very much! I agree with what you have written!