Author Topic: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta  (Read 167676 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Bible and christian quotes in the light of Advaita
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 12:45:17 PM »
Saint Paul has said:

I protest by your rejoicing which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die daily.
1 Cor 15:31

When someone surrenders completely to the Lord or the Guru her/his ego slowly, day by day is dying which results in supreme bliss. This is experience of the followers of every religion. Unfortunately a few people surrender completely to the Supreme.

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.
Gal 2:20

When the ego dies there is no individual who does the work. There is no "I-thought" which to desire. Everything is happening by God's will and because of that everything is pure and without any sins.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 01:15:19 PM by ramana1359 »
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.php

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2011, 01:55:55 PM »

Dear ramana 1359,

Nice Biblical quotes giving the description of surrender, total surrender, in a different fashion.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2011, 02:01:38 PM »

Dear ramana 1359,

See how this also reflects surrender:

Those who labor and are heavy laden, come unto me, I shall give thee rest.

Sri Bhagavan also says: It is enough, that I bear the burden of this world on my head, in the absence of Your company. O Arunachala,
do not keep me away from your feet.  (Padigam Verse 9)

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2011, 03:12:52 PM »

Dear ramana 1359,

I do not know whether you know about Tamizh Bible which came in late 18th century. It was translated from original Hebrew,
by Jesuit fathers and scholars who learned Tamizh for this purpose. The first Tamizh bible was published by the Tirunelveli
Diocese, Tamizh Nadu.

The translators should have taken enormous trouble.  They have tried their best to use Tamizh equivalents [Sanskritised] and
used many Hindu usages. For example, Holy Bible is called Parisuddha Vedaagamam.  It is Vedam and Agamam for Chrisitians!

Some of the Tamizh equivalents for Bible names:

Jesus Christ - Yes Kiristhu

Joseph - Yosappu

Mary - Mari

Magadalene - Magadalena

Daniel - Dhanial

David - Daaveedu

Genesis - Adiaagamam

Revelations - VeLipadugal

Gospel - Suvisesham

John - Yovan

Mark - MaRku

Apostles - Apostalasau

Luke - Lookka

In fact, I studied in Christian High school and  I studied only Tamizh Bible in Moral Lessons Class!

Arunachala Siva.     

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »
Those who labor and are heavy laden, come unto me, I shall give thee rest.

Very correct parallel in my opinion, Subramanian. It's also what Lord Krishna has said:

"Abandon all varieties of mundane religion and just surrender unto Me. I shall deliver you from all sinful reactions. Do not fear."

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »
Dear Ramana, Subramanian Sir,

The following point is interesting:

“Jesus” is a transliteration, occurring in a number of languages and based on the Latin Iesus, of the Greek Ἰησοῦς (Iēsoûs), itself a Hellenisation of the Hebrew יְהוֹשֻׁעַ (Yĕhōšuă‘, Joshua) or Hebrew-Aramaic יֵשׁוּעַ (Yēšûă‘).meaning "Yahweh delivers (or rescues)

Therefore, the name Jesus does not refer to jesus the person, "Jesus" is another name of "Aham" the "Self" that "I" is the deliverance, that "I" is the Kingdom of Heaven.

When Jesus said Father, "Jesus" is the 'Vijnanamaya Kosha" that sees the Self and sees it as the Father, the father is the source.

Bhagavan said "Seeing is Being"

First We see, and that seeing culminates into being, therefore, "Seeing" is "Jesus" and "Being" is "Father" both the "Self"

The "seeing" intellect is "Son" and the "Seen" is itself the source "Father" The Seer and the Seen, both are the same Self.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 04:30:20 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2011, 04:45:58 PM »
‘As Creator, God is both Trinity and Unity. As Infinite, He is neither Trinity nor Unity, nor anything that can be enunciated’ (Nicholas of Cusa, cardinal of the Catholic Church, 1401-1464)

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2011, 05:32:35 PM »
"Omitting to seek after God, and creation, and things similar to these, seek for Him from (out of) thyself, and learn who it is that absolutely appropriates (unto Himself) all things in thee, and says, "My God my mind, my understanding, my soul, my body." And learn from whence are sorrow, and joy, and love, and hatred, and involuntary wakefulness, and involuntary drowsiness, and involuntary anger, and involuntary affection; and if you accurately investigate these (points), you will discover (God) Himself, unity and plurality, in thyself, according to that tittle, and that He finds the outlet (for Deity) to be from thyself."
Monoimus (150-210 CE), Arabian Gnostic teacher
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 05:36:15 PM by ramana1359 »

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.”

“You are not yet fifty years old,” the Jews said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”

“I tell you the truth,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

Jesus knew He is the great I am from the Old Testament. The Jews realized what He meant and they wanted to kill Him for blasphemy.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »
I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than alld; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”
John 10:28-30

I think that this means at least two things:
1. I (jivatma) am the Father (Brahman, Shiva, the Self) = Aham brahmasmi
2. I (Guru) am the Father (the Absolute, Shiva, the Self). This reminds me of this verse:
"Gurur – Brahma
Gurur – Vishnuh
Guru – devo Mahesvarah
Gurur – sakshat Param Brahma
Tasmai Sri Gurave namah"
which means: "Guru is Brahma, Guru is Vishnu and Guru is Lord Shiva (Maheshvara).  Guru is the Brahman infact. My salutations to the Guru."

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2011, 05:31:27 PM »

Dear ramana,

Yes. I that is the individual self and Father, the Self are one and the same.  This is pure advaita.

Arunachala Siva.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2011, 11:49:20 AM »
To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

They answered him, “We are Abraham’s descendants and have never been slaves of anyone. How can you say that we shall be set free?”

Jesus replied, “I tell you the truth, everyone who sins is a slave to sin. Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever. So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. I know you are Abraham’s descendants. Yet you are ready to kill me, because you have no room for my word. I am telling you what I have seen in the Father’s presence, and you do what you have heard from your father.”

In my opinion "truth" means "jnana". Only the jnani is free from the mind and respectively from the sins. By Father's grace Jesus has realized that He is not bound, that He is the Supreme Christ Consciousness which is the foundation of the so called world which is the Self. Jesus wanted everybody to know this Truth.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 02:09:16 PM »
Bhagavad Gita one of the oldest scripture in the world i.e 5000 yrs ago which means atleast some 3000 yrs before christinity and islam emerged has some beautuful quotes regarding self and Consciousness.

One of the fav quote which for bhagavan is the fav quote

Ch2 Text55

The Blessed Lord said: O Partha, when a man gives up all varieties of sense desire which arise from mental concoction, and when his mind finds satisfaction in the self alone, then he is said to be in pure transcendental consciousness.

Ch3 Text39

Thus, a man's pure consciousness is covered by his eternal enemy in the form of lust, which is never satisfied and which burns like fire.

Ch5 Text 8-9

A person in the divine consciousness, although engaged in seeing, hearing, touching, smelling, eating, moving about, sleeping and breathing, always knows within himself that he actually does nothing at all. Because while speaking, evacuating, receiving, opening or closing his eyes, he always knows that only the material senses are engaged with their objects and that he is aloof from them.

Ch10 Text20

I am the Self, O Gudakesa, seated in the hearts of all creatures. I am the beginning, the middle and the end of all beings.

Ch13 Text 30

One who can see that all activities are performed by the body, which is created of material nature, and sees that the self does nothing, actually sees.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2011, 04:43:08 PM »
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
Matthew 7:1,2
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. Whoever sows to please their flesh, from the flesh will reap destruction; whoever sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life.
Galatians 6:7,8
These verses show the eternal law of karma.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2011, 04:33:03 AM »
Dear ramana,

In Tamizh, they used to say in a proverb,

Thinai, one who sows thinai, millet, reaps thinai.
Vinai, one who sows karma good or bad, reaps such karmas.

There is another one,

MuRpagal,i.e forenoon, if you do anything,
PiRpagal, i.r afternoon, you will obtain the reaction.

Arunachala Siva.