Author Topic: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta  (Read 174372 times)

Ravi.N

• View Profile
Re: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta
« Reply #390 on: August 07, 2013, 08:27:56 AM »
Hari,
Wonderful Ten Ways!Thanks very much.
Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #391 on: August 07, 2013, 05:06:54 PM »
Thank you, Sri Ravi! They are wonderful indeed! :)
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 09, 2013, 02:37:45 AM »
"Life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."
[Charles R. Swindoll]

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 09, 2013, 02:44:24 AM »
"If you cannot do great things, do small things in a great way."
[Napoleon Hill]

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 09, 2013, 11:51:13 AM »
"When you can't solve the problem, manage it."
[Robert H. Schuller]

Hari

• View Profile
Christian story
« Reply #395 on: August 09, 2013, 12:52:12 PM »
Attaining God

- What action shall I perform to attain God?
- If you wish to attain God, there are two things you must know. The first is that all efforts to attain Him are of no avail.
- And the second?
- You must act as if you did not know the first.

Hari

• View Profile
The Heart Donkey - Sufi story
« Reply #396 on: August 09, 2013, 03:55:39 PM »
There was a man in Turkey who was travelling with his favourite donkey, a faithful companion for years and an animal very close to his heart. At the end of a hard day on the road he came to an inn and decided to rest there for the night. No sooner than he had taken off the saddle bags than a youth working for the inn came out to greet him.

“Salaam Aleikum, sir, welcome to our humble shelter! Please, come inside and get some warm soup and sit beside the fire.”

“Of course, I’d love to but first I must make sure my donkey is well cared for.” The man said, patting his donkey on the back. The youth smiled generously.

“Please, sir, allow me to attend to such details, you are an honoured guest here.”

“But it’s just that he’s an old donkey and needs a nice bed of hay to lie in.”

“Sir, we guarantee you the best care possible.”

“But you will sweep the floor first to make sure there are no stones? He gets in a terrible mood if he doesn’t sleep well.”

“Please, sir, just trust me, we are professionals here.”

“But you will add some water to his straw – his teeth are getting shakey and he likes just a little fresh grass to begin with.”

“Sir, you are embarrassing me!

“And you will give him a little rubdown along the spine – he goes crazy for that!”

“Sir, please just leave everything to me.”

So finally the man gave in and entered the establishment to enjoy a fine dinner by the fire and a comfortable bed. Meanwhile the youth rolled his eyes and… then went out to play cards in a nearby den.

The man could not sleep somehow, despite the silk sheets, as he kept having nightmares of his donkey chained up without water or food, lying on the cold stone. The vision wouldn’t leave him and so he got up in his dressing gown, walked down the steps to the stable and there! His donkey was in exactly the condition he’d imagined – cold, hungry and dying of thirst.

Hari

• View Profile
Trust God But Tie Your Camel - Sufi story
« Reply #397 on: August 09, 2013, 03:58:53 PM »
There was once a man who was on his way back home from market with his camel and, as he’d had a good day, he decided to stop at a mosque along the road and offer his thanks to God.

He left his camel outside and went in with his prayer mat and spent several hours offering thanks to Allah, praying and promising that he’d be a good Muslim in the future, help the poor and be an upstanding pillar of his community.

When he emerged it was already dark and lo and behold – his camel was gone!
He immediately flew into a violent temper and shook his fist at the sky, yelling:
“You traitor, Allah! How could You do this to me? I put all my trust in You and then You go and stab me in the back like this!”

A passing sufi dervish heard the man yelling and chuckled to himself.

“Listen,” he said, “Trust God but, you know, tie up your camel.”

Hari

• View Profile
A letter from God
« Reply #398 on: August 10, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
Good morning,

As you got up I watched and hoped you would talk
to me. Just a few words, such as thanking me for
something good in your life yesterday or last
week, would do.

But I noticed you were busy selecting the right
clothes for work. I waited again to hear from you.
When you ran around the house collecting papers,
I knew there would be a few minutes to stop and
say hello, but you never slowed down.

I wanted to tell you that I could help you
accomplish more than you ever dreamed possible
if you would just spend some of each day with me.
At one point you waited fifteen minutes in a chair
with nothing to do. I waited to hear from you.

Then I saw you spring to your feet; I thought
you wanted to talk to me, but you ran to the
phone and called a friend. I watched as off
to work you went and waited patiently all day
long to hear from you. With all your activities
you were too busy to talk with me.

I noticed at lunch you looked around; maybe you
just felt embarrassed to talk to me. You glanced
three tables over and noticed some of your friends
talking to me before they ate, but you wouldn't.

There was still more time left, and I hoped that we
would talk. You went home and had many things to do.
After they were done, you turned on the TV; just
about anything goes there and you spend many hours
watching. I waited as you continued watching TV and
ate your meal but again you wouldn't talk to me.

At bedtime you were totally tired. After you said
good night to your family you plopped into bed and
fell asleep. I had so much wanted to be part of your
day. We could have had so much fun and accomplished
so much together.

I love you so much that I wait everyday for a thought,
prayer or thanks. Well, maybe tomorrow! I'll be waiting.

Your Friend,

God

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 10, 2013, 10:46:28 AM »
"You too must force your demand on the Divine Mother. She will come to you without fail. I once said the same thing to some Sikhs when they visited the temple at Dakshineswar. We were conversing in front of the Kali temple. They said, 'God is compassionate.' 'Why compassionate?' I asked. They said, 'Why, revered sir, He constantly looks after us, gives us righteousness and wealth, and provides us with our food.' 'Suppose', I said, 'a man has children. Who will look after them and provide them with food-their own father, or a man from another village?'
SUB-JUDGE: "Is not God, then, compassionate, sir?"
MASTER: "Why should you think that? I just made a remark. What I mean to say is that God is our very own. We can exert force on Him. With one's own people one can even go so far as to say, 'You rascal! Won't you give it to me?'

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 10, 2013, 11:07:33 AM »
"You too must force your demand on the Divine Mother. She will come to you without fail.

The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

This is truly a very important revelation, This is very essential along with all our sadhanas. Very easy way to get connected to the Bhava mandalam and plead with the Mother, who else do we have to resort to! It is only the Mother who accepts us as we are, with all our faults and kleshams complaints. Mother is the one who will fight the cause of Her child even if the child has committed a heinous offence.

Salutations to the Divine Mother
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:09:19 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 10, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
Dear Ravi, Nagaraj,

Yes.

Sri Bhagavan tells Arunachala: (AAMM)

varumbadi sol ilai vanthen padi aLa
varunthidu un thalai vidhi Arunachala!

Arunachala Siva.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 10, 2013, 11:26:18 AM »
Very profound excerpt, Sri Ravi! Thank you!
Sri Nagaraj, yes, I more and more realize how essential is this.

Hari

• View Profile
Cherokee's (American Indians) story about creation of the world
« Reply #403 on: August 10, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
The earth is a great island floating in a sea of water, and suspended at each of the four cardinal points by a cord hanging down from the sky vault, which is of solid rock. When the world grows old and worn out, the people will die and the cords will break and let the earth sink down into the ocean, and all will be water again. The Indians are afraid of this.

When all was water, the animals were above in Gälûñ'lätï, beyond the arch; but it was very much crowded, and they were wanting more room. They wondered what was below the water, and at last Dâyuni'sï, "Beaver's Grandchild," the little Water-beetle, offered to go and see if it could learn. It darted in every direction over the surface of the water, but could find no firm place to rest. Then it dived to the bottom and came up with some soft mud, which began to grow and spread on every side until it became the island which we call the earth. It was afterward fastened to the sky with four cords, but no one remembers who did this.

At first the earth was flat and very soft and wet. The animals were anxious to get down, and sent out different birds to see if it was yet dry, but they found no place to alight and came back again to Gälûñ'lätï. At last it seemed to be time, and they sent out the Buzzard and told him to go and make ready for them. This was the Great Buzzard, the father of all the buzzards we see now. He flew all over the earth, low down near the ground, and it was still soft. When he reached the Cherokee country, he was very tired, and his wings began to flap and strike the ground, and wherever they struck the earth there was a valley, and where they turned up again there was a mountain. When the animals above saw this, they were afraid that the whole world would be mountains, so they called him back, but the Cherokee country remains full of mountains to this day.

When the earth was dry and the animals came down, it was still dark, so they got the sun and set it in a track to go every day across the island from east to west, just overhead. It was too hot this way, and Tsiska'gïlï', the Red Crawfish, had his shell scorched a bright red, so that his meat was spoiled; and the Cherokee do not eat it. The conjurers put the sun another hand-breadth higher in the air, but it was still too hot. They raised it another time, and another, until it was seven handbreadths high and just under the sky arch. Then it was right, and they left it so. This is why the conjurers call the highest place Gûlkwâ'gine Di'gälûñ'lätiyûñ', "the seventh height," because it is seven hand-breadths above the earth. Every day the sun goes along under this arch, and returns at night on the upper side to the starting place.

There is another world under this, and it is like ours in everything--animals, plants, and people--save that the seasons are different. The streams that come down from the mountains are the trails by which we reach this underworld, and the springs at their heads are the doorways by which we enter, it, but to do this one must fast and, go to water and have one of the underground people for a guide. We know that the seasons in the underworld are different from ours, because the water in the springs is always warmer in winter and cooler in summer than the outer air.

When the animals and plants were first made--we do not know by whom--they were told to watch and keep awake for seven nights, just as young men now fast and keep awake when they pray to their medicine. They tried to do this, and nearly all were awake through the first night, but the next night several dropped off to sleep, and the third night others were asleep, and then others, until, on the seventh night, of all the animals only the owl, the panther, and one or two more were still awake. To these were given the power to see and to go about in the dark, and to make prey of the birds and animals which must sleep at night. Of the trees only the cedar, the pine, the spruce, the holly, and the laurel were awake to the end, and to them it was given to be always green and to be greatest for medicine, but to the others it was said: "Because you have not endured to the end you shall lose your, hair every winter."

Men came after the animals and plants. At first there were only a brother and sister until he struck her with a fish and told her to multiply, and so it was. In seven days a child was born to her, and thereafter every seven days another, and they increased very fast until there was danger that the world could not keep them. Then it was made that a woman should have only one child in a year, and it has been so ever since.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 10, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
"A knife of the keenest steel requires the whetstone, and the wisest man needs advice."
[Zoroaster]