Author Topic: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta  (Read 174702 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta
« Reply #345 on: July 22, 2013, 05:32:40 PM »
Thank you for your replay, dear.
I just found our that just contemplation on my reality is not enough. I feel more alive and 'me' when I do something for someone. I experienced by God's mercy a few times that karma yoga is very important. I felt for a first time the deep truth of Lord Krishna Who says:"Even by abandoning action, a man’s mind may be active. One cannot reach perfection, merely by renouncing action". Action is needed too. But my problem is about acting. How to act? And what to do? To do my job for example as student or to do good to people. And what is the purpose of acting? Should I achieve anything? Or just acting, without purpose? Does my action gives specific fruit? If I study for example for an exam does that mean that I will pass it? If I don't then what was the purpose of my acting? Should I learn something? Is there any meaning in acting. If there is no meaning then what is the difference between serving the Lord and killing animals as a butcher? I know that many people will not understand me what is in my heart right now but I believe somebody will.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: July 22, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »
Dear Hari,

There is nothing wrong in the way you feel. Absolutely nothing! We all ponder over those things,and the one who ponders is only near God. That means you have conscience. We are good people,we only dont have consciousness,awareness,so to say. Heart only matters. And Guru can see your heart.

So long we are in need to act,so long we need not to expect any fruit of our good doings. Only then its pure. If you wish to study,then study,give your heart and soul to it. And you will succeed. And if it dont work out good,then what to do. All have some deeper purpose in it,especially failure. We supose to learn something. And you dont need to do good if that will be some act of pure vanity or concience. And if you can reach your hand and help someone passing by,then do it. But not coz some Sage said it,but coz it resonates with your Soul and heart. All good returns. But that should not be the reason. We dont need to be missionares to live rightful life. How things happen in your life,in that way you will see if you need to act or not. I think it is best to listen and be receptive,what is situations around us trying to tell us. If we make mistake,thats ok too. We will learn from it. Like Swami Vivekananda said,those will be angels anawaress. But,like Bhagavan and all the sages said,our greatest service is to free ourselves. All else will follow. What you are going through,i went through for many years. To do this or that,to go this way or other,so many questions,and nothing changes. But all this is so much needed. That is sadhana itself in some way.

If we do some job which is against our conscience,then quit it and pray to God for support. And it will surely come. Or dont,but devote all free time to God. Then He will free you. What is more important,your peaceful mind and heart,or that what you get from some work(about butcher). Your heart only knows. Listen to it only.

One thing I know,everything is teaches us something,if we are open to see what. Just give youself to God. He will cure all maladies. It is advice for me too.

With love and prayers,

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: July 22, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »
My concern is - do we need to be more than what we are now to be real sadhakas?!

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: July 22, 2013, 06:34:56 PM »
To be more in which way? More in ambitious way and wordly,or more like a person?

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: July 22, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
To be better, world-less person

Jewell

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: July 22, 2013, 06:58:06 PM »
Well,what we need is to be free,not covered with this dark mass of ignorance and ego. What will that mean,would we be better "person",and what is real meaning of good or bad,God will decide. And only He knows real import of goodness. Aspire to be good sadhaka and to be free,thats enough I think.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: July 22, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »
Our attitude about free will is very important ...

If we take Bhagavan's way, then it is not our attitude about free will that is important but the very entity that is referred to as the 'I'.

When thoughts arise, one should not pursue them, but should inquire: ‘To whom do they arise?’ It does not matter how many thoughts arise. As each thought arises, one should inquire with diligence, “To whom has this thought arisen?”. The answer that would emerge would be “To me”. Thereupon if one inquires “Who am I?”, the mind will go back to its source; and the thought that arose will become quiescent. With repeated practice in this manner, the mind will develop the skill to stay in its source. When the mind that is subtle goes out through the brain and the senseorgans, the gross names and forms appear; when it stays in the heart, the names and forms disappear. Not letting the mind go out, but retaining it in the Heart is what is called “inwardness” (antarmukha). Letting the mind go out of the Heart is known as “externalisation” (bahir-mukha). Thus, when the mind stays in the Heart, the ‘I’ which is the source of all thoughts will go, and the Self which ever exists will shine. Whatever one does, one should do without the egoity “I”. If one acts in that way, all will appear as of the nature of Siva (God). (Who am I, 11)

Bhagavan's way directly guides us to kill the 'I' right at the roots, giving no way for the 'I' to grow and analyse further so and so forth.

Nothing is more important than subjugating the 'I' that is sprouting.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: July 22, 2013, 07:25:56 PM »
Whatever one does, one should do without the egoity “I”.

How do you do it? How to act without egoity? Have you achieved that?

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: July 23, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
"The words of wise men are like goads, and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one Shepherd. But beyond this, my son, be warned: the writing of many books is endless, and excessive devotion to books is wearying to the body."
[Ecclesiastes 12:11,12]

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: July 23, 2013, 12:59:52 PM »
A Lament

O well for him who lives at ease
With garnered gold in wide domain,
Nor heeds the splashing of the rain,
The crashing down of forest trees.
O well for him who ne'er hath known
The travail of the hungry years,
A father grey with grief and tears,
A mother weeping all alone.
But well for him whose feet hath trod
The weary road of toil and strife,
Yet from the sorrows of his life
Builds ladders to be nearer God.

Oscar Wilde

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: July 23, 2013, 03:56:21 PM »
"There is no greater sorrow than to recall a happy time when miserable."
[Dante Alighieri]

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: July 23, 2013, 04:12:38 PM »
"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."
[George R.R. Martin, "A game of thrones"]

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: July 23, 2013, 04:24:04 PM »
"Just as it is known that an image of one's face is seen depending on a mirror but does not really exist as a face, so the conception of "I" exists dependent on mind and body, but like the image of a face the "I" does not at all exist as its own reality."
[Nāgārjuna]

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: July 24, 2013, 12:52:23 PM »
"When I was a little girl I used to read fairy tales. In fairy tales you meet Prince Charming and he's everything you ever wanted. In fairy tales the bad guy is very easy to spot. The bad guy is always wearing a black cape so you always know who he is. Then you grow up and you realize that Prince Charming is not as easy to find as you thought. You realize the bad guy is not wearing a black cape and he's not easy to spot; he's really funny, and he makes you laugh, and he has perfect hair."
[Taylor Swift]

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: July 24, 2013, 01:04:13 PM »
"It is not despair, for despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt. We do not."
[Gandalf, "Lord of the Rings", J.R.R. Tolkien]