Author Topic: Various quotes and musings in the light of Vedanta  (Read 167678 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Bible and christian quotes in the light of Advaita
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »
D.: Should we read Gita once in a while?
M.: Always.

D.: May we read the Bible?
M.: The Bible and the Gita are the same.

D.: The Bible teaches that Man is born in sin.
M.: The Man is sin. There was no man-sense in deep sleep. The bodythought brings out the idea of sin. The birth of thought is itself sin. To another question the Master said: Everyone sees only the Self. The divine forms are only like bubbles in the ocean of Reality, or like pictures moving on a screen.

D.: The Bible says that the human soul may be lost.
M.: The ‘I-thought’ is the ego and that is lost. The real ‘I’ is “I am That I Am.”

(talks 164)

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 23, 2012, 01:23:46 PM »
This reminds me again and again that whatever be the religion or "-isms", every great guru found the "SAME THING". But when they tried to put it in words - it all got understood differently by the receiving party :). Even when Upanishads can be mis-interpreted / mis-quoted, what else to say :) ? Christ also said everything that Sri Bhagawan says in one sentence - The Kingdom of God is within you. Alas ! How it got interpreted :)
Salutations to Bhagawan

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
« Reply #107 on: April 23, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »
Bk. 1. Ch. 6. #6. The soul is wearied and fatigued by its desires… the (desires) disturb it, allowing it not to rest in any place or in any thing soever.… the desires and indulgence in them all cause it greater emptiness and hunger.

Bk. 1. Ch. 8. The soul that is clouded by the desires is darkened in the understanding and allows neither the sun of natural reason nor that of the supernatural Wisdom of God to shine upon it and illumine it clearly. #2. At the same time, when the soul is darkened in the understanding, it is benumbed also in the will, and the memory becomes dull and disordered in its dire operation. The intellect cannot get the illumination of God’s wisdom, the will cannot get the love of God, and the memory cannot get God’s image. #4. Darkness and coarseness will always be with a soul until its appetites are extinguished. The appetites are like a cataract on the eye or specks of dust in it; until removed they obstruct vision. #6. The affections and appetites deprive them of a treasure of divine light. #7. Any appetite, even one that is but slightly imperfect, stains and defiles the soul.

Saint John of the Cross

Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.php

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 23, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »
Dear i,

What is the core message of Jesus, what did Jesus asked everyone to do. Like our Bhagavan primarily asked us to practice Self Enquiry.

All that i know is christians pray, but what is their prayer, what is the primary sadhana?

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 23, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
It depends on what christian denomination we are talking about. There are approximately 38 000 christian denominations. That's a big number. So apparently I cannot tell you what christians practice particularly. But generally christians read the Bible, pray, talk to God, meet people from their church, comment things about society, the problems of society, how biblically to solve them. Christians go to the church every Sunday and listen a Mass. They gather together to pray for someone in need - for ill people, for people with life crisis and so on.

Yes, there are some mystic groups who practice meditation and other so called East practices. If you are interested I can give you some names and links.

Best wishes, ramana1359

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2012, 05:30:56 PM »
i was just curious to know the genuine christian practices. i understand that it is depends on the background of each christian or groups as well. no matter where one is, which ever religion, one who is is true quest for truth, definitely goes nearer and nearer towards it :)

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 25, 2012, 08:52:13 PM »
Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away.
Matthew 24:35

Sanatana Dharma always is. It doesn't depend on religion, social groups or in which world or demension you live.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 01, 2012, 04:38:05 PM »

The Parable of the Lost Son

11 Jesus continued: “There was a man who had two sons. 12 The younger one said to his father, ‘Father, give me my share of the estate.’ So he divided his property between them.

13 “Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living. 14 After he had spent everything, there was a severe famine in that whole country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to a citizen of that country, who sent him to his fields to feed pigs. 16 He longed to fill his stomach with the pods that the pigs were eating, but no one gave him anything.

17 “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! 18 I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’ 20 So he got up and went to his father.

“But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

21 “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

22 “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. 23 Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. 24 For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

25 “Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. 27 ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

28 “The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. 29 But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

31 “‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. 32 But we had to celebrate and be glad, because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’”

This parable Lord Jesus uses to say in another way that the Kingdom we are looking for has always been among us. But our ignorance doesn't allow us to see It. That's why suffering very often becomes the cause for people to start searching God. The father in this parable is the Lord (the Father), his property is the Kingdom, the prodigal son is the ignorant soul.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »
What God is according to the Bible?

God is Love - "...whoever lives in Love lives in God and God lives in him." (1 John 4:16)

God is a Spirit - "God is Spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth." (John 4:24)

God is Light - "This is the message we have heard from Him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all." (1 John 1:5)

God is a Person and has Name - "In The Name Of The Father, Son And Holy Spirit." (Matthew 28:19)

God cannot be seen - "No one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love is perfected in us." (1 John 4:12) This is very similar to what Lord Ramana says - God cannot be seen because He is the Seer.

God is One - "Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is One." (Deuteronomy 6:4)

God and His Kingdom dwell within everything - "The Kingdom of God is within you." ( Luke 17:21)

God is the most High - "You are gods, and all of you are children of the most High." (Psalm 82:6)

God is the Giver of the fruits of our actions - "For the Lord your God is the One Who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory." (Deuteronomy 20:4)

God is Silence and Stillness - "Be still, and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10); "Behold the silence: allow the Lord to speak one word in us, that He is." Carthusian Monk

God is Being - "I am that I am" (Exodus 3:14) "“I am the Alpha and the Omega,” says the Lord God, “Who is, and Who was, and Who is to come, the Almighty.”" (Revelations 1:8 )

There are a lot of other things which the Bible tells us about the Lord but these are may be the most important.

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2012, 08:32:18 PM »
"When you make the two one, and when you make the inner as the outer and the outer as the inner, and the above as the below, and when you make the male and the female into a single one, so that the male will not be male and the female not be female, then shall you enter the Kingdom."

The Gospel of Saint Thomas

When all differences disappear then what remains is the One. This is Advaita.

Hari

• View Profile
Re: Non-Hindu quotes in the light of Advaita
« Reply #115 on: July 04, 2012, 09:13:48 PM »
I decided to change the name of the topic because I want to include quotes of other philosophies and religions without starting new topics.

Hari

• View Profile
Re: Quotes in the light of Advaita
« Reply #116 on: July 04, 2012, 09:25:40 PM »
When my Beloved appears,
with what eye do I see Him?
With His eye, not with mine,
for none sees Him except Himself.

Ibn Arabi

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 05, 2012, 10:47:19 AM »
Mind is like the wood or stone from which a person carves an image. If he carves a dragon or a tiger, and seeing it fears it, he is like a stupid person creating a picture of hell and then afraid to face it. If he does not fear it, then his unnecessary thoughts will vanish. Part of the mind produces sight, sound, taste, odor and sensibility, and from them raises greed, anger and ignorance with all their accompanying likes and dislikes.

-  Bodhidharma -

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 05, 2012, 01:47:26 PM »
Dear Ramana 1359,

Nice. This is what precisely Sri Bhagavan said: What is Real is only Atma. Even Isvara  jivas and the world are only superimposition
on this  like the silver in oyster shell.  (Who am I?)

All sensory experiences (indriya vedhyam) are unreal. All that happens in Mind (which includes intellect, ego and chittam)
are in mano-mandolam. (in the realm of mind).

God or the Self or Atma is experiential. It does not need senses and mind.

Such a God or the Self or Atma does not get experienced in Wakeful state. Nor in dream and deep sleep states. It is
experienced in what is called jagrat-sushupti, wakeful sleep.  One is awake but one does not see anything by senses
or mind as in sleep. This is jagrat sushupti.  This is Reality. This is Buddha Nature. This is Arunachala Ramana.

If you happen to see Buddha on the road, kill him, says a Zen statement. What does it mean? Buddha cannot be seen.
Buddha nature has to be experienced within.

Arunachala Siva.       

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
All sensory experiences (indriya vedhyam) are unreal. All that happens in Mind (which includes intellect, ego and chittam)
are in mano-mandolam. (in the realm of mind).

Sri Subramanian. Yes. What you say is absolutely true. But I want we to say what "unreal" is according to Sri Bhagavan and all Jnanis. If we see a gold statue of a man which is the same size, structure and so on as him we must realize that it is just a massive piece of gold, it is not a man standing there. But the form of the man is there but it is not man. The same way the jivas, the world and Ishvara are just manifestations of this essence which we call the Self or pure consciousness. So they are real but not at the way we think of them.

God or the Self or Atma is experiential. It does not need senses and mind.

God is the Seer. This is exactly what Ibn Arabi has said in the quote I have given in a previous post of mine.
Such a God or the Self or Atma does not get experienced in Wakeful state. Nor in dream and deep sleep states. It is
experienced in what is called jagrat-sushupti, wakeful sleep.  One is awake but one does not see anything by senses
or mind as in sleep. This is jagrat sushupti.  This is Reality. This is Buddha Nature. This is Arunachala Ramana.

In deep sleep we are not conscious of anything, we are not aware of our Self. We must realize that wakeful state, deep sleep and dreams, also imaginations, hallucinations, illusions and so on are just state of the God. But God is separate from them, He is not attached to them. It is the Great Mystery of the phenomenal world.

If you happen to see Buddha on the road, kill him, says a Zen statement. What does it mean? Buddha cannot be seen.
Buddha nature has to be experienced within.

Very true. Zen buddhists are looking for the Self which they consider Buddha Nature.