Author Topic: How to get rid of useless thoughts?  (Read 1587 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
How to get rid of useless thoughts?
« on: October 28, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
D: How to get rid of useless thoughts?
M: Like wrong telephonic calls, disconnect useless thoughts; don’t entertain them. Make use of useful
ones and then be free of thoughts as far as possible. You get engrossed in memories, be attentive, say
‘go, I don’t want you’. With practice it is possible to be free of thoughts; your own thoughts become an
obstacle in your spiritual progress.

D: That is why we come here; it is easier to think of him then phones.
M: Whatever I say, I have practiced, I too used to get thoughts but I remembered what my Guru said,
‘you are, so Just be’. I am least worried about others, I am concerned with myself. Treat thoughts like
one would treat a person, ask them to go. When relaxed, the thoughts come and complain, who
complains about others? They are your own thoughts, just kick them out!

D: How easy!
M: Yes, but with practice. You become your own enemy because of your thoughts.

- Nisargadatta Maharaj

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: How to get rid of useless thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 11:16:01 AM »

Dear Nagaraj,

There was one Dhiruben Patel. She came to see Sri Bhagavan in 1945. She asked: When I look at the mirror my own image, for a
long time, I feel frightened. So what should I do? Sri Bhagavan told her: Then don't look at the mirror. Why is it necessary to look
in a mirror? Go inwards and find our who you are.

We are all so habituated to look at the mirror, the world, the people, our past, our future. These produce thoughts. Thoughts
are alien to our true nature. So to look within us and not the world [Visvam dharpanam says Sri Sankara] should be practiced.
Whenever thoughts do occur, turn your attention to the Self within. It is of course, difficult to practice. But practice is the only
way to get rid of the world and thoughts.

Arunachala Siva.