Author Topic: Bhajans, Songs, Documentaries, Interviews, Pics and so on  (Read 103035 times)

Astralman

• View Profile
Re: Bhajans, Songs, Documentaries, Interviews, Pics and so on
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 10:19:39 PM »
Jesus did not give a name to "his" faith. His followers did that. Read the symbols of the Gospels and the beautiful mystical sayings of Jesus with an open heart and forget what his "followers" codified into dogma.
Jesus was not some errant redheaded step-child when it comes to Santana Dharma.
He lived it, he taught it, and did so in such a powerful and uplifting way that 2,000 yrs. later He is still showing people the way to God and performing miracles. Many when they come close to death see God or Self as Jesus and/or identify the Light of the Self as Jesus or Christ - at least in the culture where I come from where He is predominant.
My grandmother was healed by Him when she was dying during the American flu epidemic of 1917-1919 and remained a lifelong devotee. She was holier and more devoted than I am.
That said, the best commentaries on Jesus I have ever seen have come from Hindu teachers. The Sermon on the Mount commentary by Swami Probhavananda is fantasitc.
The single best is the exhaustive commentary on the Gospels by Paramahansa Yogananda.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
Dear Astralman,

I have no quarrel against Jesus Christ.  As you correctly said, it is his followers who made into a different faith and said that unless
you follow Christianity, you will not get salvation.  If Jesus had been alive, when British started ruling countries like India, he would
not have permitted "conversion" from Hinduism to Christianity, luring the people with money and free education.  Whereas much against
Jesus' Will, missionaries started converting Hindus into Christians.  This made the split felt more and more between Hinduism and Christianity.  All great Saints have said the same teachings to humankind for their upliftment and salvation. So there is no surprise in
the Sermon of the Mount being similar to Hindu thought.  What Jesus said from Mount of Sinai is the same as what Sri Bhagavan said
from Arunachala or what Rishis of India said from the Himalayas.

Hinduism never converted people of other faith into Hinduism. That is why it is called Sanatana Dharma, an all embracing faith, ancient
and primordial. In fact Buddha is considered  as an avatara of Narayana in Srimad Bhagavatam.

All fissures between religions are by lower rung people, whose ego is not subsided.

Arunachala Siva.         

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 09:58:17 AM »
Dear Subramanian Sir,

What Jesus said from Mount of Sinai is the same as what Sri Bhagavan said
from Arunachala or what Rishis of India said from the Himalayas.

Hinduism never converted people of other faith into Hinduism. That is why it is called Sanatana Dharma, an all embracing faith, ancient
and primordial. In fact Buddha is considered  as an avatara of Narayana in Srimad Bhagavatam.

All fissures between religions are by lower rung people, whose ego is not subsided.

precisely, that is the real problem. These are the problems created by "followers" That is the same issue with all religions including ours!

Sir, even in the name of Sanathana Dharma, there are many new modern day Gurus who lure people to them. I feel, this is not any different from Christians converting Hindus!

I felt it most appropriate to say that Sanathana Dharma never converted people of other faith over saying Hinduism never converted people of other faith. As the term Hindusim is relatively new, just coined by Britishers over last 2 centuries perhaps! And What we call Hindusim is quite different from the true spirit of Sanathana Dharma.

Especially, today, there is no relevance in calling Hinduism as Sanathana Dharma. It is mostly referred as Hinduism, which is no different from Christianity, Islam! We can't refer Hindu's as Sanathana Dharma anymore!

In the name of Allah, Jesus and Krishna, Ramana Maharshi, Adi Shankara, Ramakrishna, Chinmayananda and many of other religions are coming up their own TV channels, all these are dangerous precedents! A huge business is building over! and Allah, Jesus and Krishna and others are surely not responsible for that!

The evil effects of Kali Yuga is already predicted in Srimad Bhagavatam http://www.prabhupadanugas.eu/?p=11939

The truth is one and the same irrespective of the ways. In fact, those who are able to see this, are in a way, a rebellion to their own religions! a deeply spiritual persons is dangerous to the society, which is full of ideas!

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:45:41 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

I see your point.  The fight in today's context, is one where Gurus attract to join them as their disciples.  There are many bogus gurus\
also.  But all gurus bogus or genuine are only in Hinduism and there is no conversion.  There may be some small amount of conversion
in villages and far off areas like Nagaland where Christians still work for conversion.

In this context, I wish to point out only peculiar conversion which was there in and around Sri Rangam area in Tamizh Nadu.
There some Sri Vaishanva Saints were asking Smarthas (Sankara's followers) to join Sri Vaishnavism.  In Tiruchirapalli, where I studied
and which is near Sri Rangam, I know some persons who were Smarthas earlier in the earlier generation but have become Sri
Vaishnavas now!  We used to call them as Iyer by Iyengars.  I think even this must have stopped now.

Arunachala Siva.         

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »

Dear ramana,

You say you are listening to some songs of other faiths, when you are tired and when you want to remove that weariness.
On the other side, you say you want to follow the practices of Sanatana Dharma and your spiitual progress. There are good
kirtanas praising the gods of Sanatana Dharma also. They are not in English but in Indian languages, like Dohas in Marathi,
Tyagaraja Kirtanas in Telugu, Tamizh songs by Arunagiri Nathar, Sri Bhagavan, and Nayanmars and Azhwars. A few of them
are available in youtube and most of them are in CDs.  By listening to them, your pastime for removing the tiredness and also
your spiritual progress will be in unison. Of course Vedic hymns should not be listened through CDs. They must be listened from
live recitation.  Other hymns are okay.

Arunachala Siva.

Sir,

I kindly disagree on vedic chanting cds.  For people like me,  live recitation is vary rare.  But I really find solace in playing the vedic cds especially in the mornigns,  when my house becomes a temporary Ramansramam and the faces of Bhagavan and Saradamma's photos seem to shine with greater splendour and bliss.

Sometimes I get some mild laughters and seems something within me resonates and say 'yes', 'yes' to the chantings.  So now I am sort of addicted to the morning 'moods' that I create in weekends after copying it from our Maharishee's abode.

I had spoken to veda prasara samithi and they told it is  ok with playing but only exception was they asked to light a lamp,  be bathed and do some meditation or sit & listen as they are played.

Sabhda is eternal.  In Kali yuga,  it repeats in the recorded CDs.  It is the humble mind that matters. 

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 10:08:33 AM »
Diana Falzone & Deepak Chopra Conversation-Life- Part#2-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQNTddS_ffw&feature=uploademail

Diana Falzone & Deepak Chopra Conversation-Mind-Brain- Part#3-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9WphS72IcY&feature=uploademail

Diana Falzone & Deepak Chopra conversation-God- Part#4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coZ6hNT7V7Y&feature=uploademail

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »
Dear ramana,

There is one video prepared by Dennis Hartel and David Godman, in 1983, containing an interview of Annamalai Swami
by one westerner, with Sundaram Swami, as an interpreter. This runs for about an hour fifteen minutes.    David Godman
announced it and sold it through his blog. It was at a concessional price of Rs 125.00. I am not sure whether this DVD
is now available. I do not know whether the youtube interview is the same as that of Dennis Hartel.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
This is a much longer panel discussion involving Rajiv Malhotra and Subramanya Swamy. If you have time and interest you can go through it. Certainly it is worth listening between 20th minute and 65th minute if you want to be selective.

Click Here

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2012, 12:14:01 PM »
Friends,
Please find links to the wonderful movie Vireswar Vivekananda.This was taken in 1963 as part of the Birth centenary celebrations .The movie is in black and white and is in Bengali-The actors have done a wonderful job knowing that it is not easy to bring to the screen the utter innocence and childlike charm of Sri Ramakrishna and the Fiery,multisided Narendra(Swamiji).Here are the links:
part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYjhmBoSQlA

part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGawTJLI5Ks

It requires familiarity with the lives and atleast some knowledge of hindi.For those who do not know language or the story,I will describe briefly the Part 2 Sequence:
1.Sri Ramakrishna smoking his hookah,enquires his nephew Ramlal-Why Naren has not come?It is quite since he came.I want to see him,I am finding it very difficult having not seen him.I badly want to see him.
Ramlal says that Naren has been informed but he has not come.
Sri Ramakrishna decides to visit Naren' s House.

In Naren's home,narendra is studying.His friends visit him.Naren tells them :I have two vision before me-One is that I will become a successful man with Plenty of Money ,Weath,Honour ,Fame,etc.
The Other vision is that I will become a 'Renunciant' renouncing everything and become a mendicant.
As they are discussing thus,Sri Ramakrishna arrives with Ramlal in tow and with sweets for naren.He comes calling-LOREN,LOREN(This is the colloquial name with which he used to call Naren).He feeds Naren with a sweet and says-"How long you have not come to dakshineswar!How long since I have heard your singing.Please sing one song...one song".
Naren sings this song:-Jago mA kula Kunalini'-Means:
Awake, Mother! Awake! How long Thou hast been asleep
In the lotus of the Muladhara!
Fulfil Thy secret function, Mother:
Rise to the thousand-petalled lotus within the head,
Where mighty Siva has His dwelling;
Swiftly pierce the six lotuses
And take away my grief, O Essence of Consciousness!

Sri Ramakrishna is in samadhi.Coming back to the plane of the senses,he expresses appreciation for Narendra and Pleads with Narendra-:Please come to Dakshineswar,Won't you!Please come to Dakshineswar,Please"!
Naren is moved and says 'Yes'.
Narendra then goes and tells his mother:'Master has called me to Dakshineswar.I am going'.
Naren's mother tells him-'Dakshineswar,Dakshineswar.That madcap thakur!We are in penury.Thakur(Master)knows God.Why do you not ask him to talk to God and bring some relief to us'.
Naren goes to Sri Ramakrishna .The Master is very happy -He calls one of the devotees and tells him-'Go and tell your Mother(Holy Mother)that Naren has come!Ask her to make good Rotis!(Bread).He calls another person and tells him-'Naren's family is in difficulty.Why don't you talk to someone to get help him'
Naren hears the conversation and scolds Sri ramakrishna:'Why are you doing this by speaking about my difficulty!We have our honour".
He tells Sri Ramakrishna to speak to kali about his difficulty.Ramakrishna tells him-'Why do you not ask her'.He sends Naren to the kali Temple.
Naren goes to the temple and a firm faith seizes him.He behelds the Divine Mother,Living and ready to Grant any boon!.He forget what he went for and asks for Viveka,Vairagya,Jnana and Bhakti and then comes back to sri Ramakrishna.
sri Ramakrishna asks him-'What did you ask the boon from Divine Mother'?
Naren says:I forgot to ask!
Sri Ramakrishna sends him again.naren Goes and again asks only Viveka,vairagya ,Bhakti and Jnana.He returns to Sri Ramakrishna and when the Master asks him whether he asked mother for relief from suffering,Naren Tells him:'No,I felt ashamed at ask .I asked only for Viveka,vairagya ,Bhakti and Jnana'.
The Master is highly pleased and blesses him saying -Your people will not have want of food and simple living.
Narendra then asks master to sing a song-'Ma you are tAra'.
on it goes...Sri Ramakrishna is diagnosed as suffering from cancer....Narendra becomes Swami vivekananda....

Wonderful movie!Unfortunately ,no subtitles!

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »
Dear i,

thanks for the links, also, on the occasion of the 150th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda,a movie 'Vivekananda by Vivekananda'has been released.It is available for download at a price.

Please check the video trailer:

http://www.vivekanandahouse.org/page/vivekananda-vivekananda-movie-trailer-1157

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2012, 01:37:14 PM »
Nagaraj,
I bought that DVD.I found it totally insipid!These things have to be produced by people with genuine devotion.'Technology' and 'Information' can only produce caricatures!Sorry,it is a strong criticism but this is what it is.I put in my comments to R K Mutt as well.
If you had bought something that is not useful,one can atleast give it to someone who may find it eseful.In this case,I decided to keep it with me so that I do not unwittingly dispirit someone and bring down swamiji in their estimation.

Namaskar.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2012, 01:46:50 PM »
Dear i

only after posting the link here, i saw that you had already left a comment in the link itself. I have been having an eye on this video, wanting to buy. Thank you for your feedback. Yes, sometimes, such videos leave one with a sense of dissatisfaction, if it fails to capture the intensity of the character, being tried to show in the movie.

i am sure, the previous links b/w movie carries a stronger spirit and the beauty which can seldom be found in current day movies.

i do like watching movies as well. I, especially like to watch kamal haasans movies (He doesn't make movies just for the heck of it)

Movie making is an art. GV Iyer, AP Nagarajan were stalwarts at that.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 01:51:10 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2012, 01:58:20 PM »
Nagaraj,
Sure,the Black and white film 'bireswar Vivekananda' is inspirational.The actors have done a Great job.The Music is wonderful-The songs are absolutely top class and from the Original kathamrita.No one can hold a candle to these Bengalis when it comes to sheer intensity in singing-They are truly gifted and put their heart and soul.
This movie captures the utter simplicity and charm of sri Ramakrishna;Swamiji also gets a good presentation.

Namaskar.

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Kalady - The Triumph of Faith over Time
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2012, 08:03:46 AM »
An authentic film on the birth and childhood of Jagadguru Sri Adi Shankaracharya and the fascinating story of rediscovery of His birthplace by Jagadguru Sri Sacchidananda Shivabhinava Nrisimha Bharati Mahaswamigal, the 33rd Shankaracharya of the Sringeri Sharada Peetham.

Featured in this DVD is the exclusive Sanskrit discourse with English sub-titles by Jagadguru Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal.

Released by Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamigal on 23rd May 2010 on the occassion of Centennary celebrations of the rediscovery of Sri Adi Shankaracharya Janma Bhoomi Kshetram, Kalady.

The entire documentary has been published on-line.

http://www.sringeri.net/2010/05/31/publication/dvd/kalady-the-triumph-of-faith-over-time.htm#watchonline

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta