Author Topic: Sadhana Tips  (Read 13234 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Sadhana Tips
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:02:54 PM »
As and when thoughts occur, they should, one and all, be
annihilated then and there, at the very place of their origin, by
the method of enquiry in quest of the Self.

Not to desire anything extraneous to oneself constitutes
vairagya (dispassion) or nirasa (desirelessness). Not to give up
one’s hold on the Self constitutes jnana (knowledge).

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Sadhana Tips
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 07:28:13 PM »
It is within our power to adopt a simple and nutritious
diet and, with earnest and incessant endeavour,
to eradicate the ego

— the cause of all misery — by stopping all mental activity
born of the ego.

Can obsessing thoughts arise without the ego, or can there
be illusion apart from such thoughts?

Therefore meditate incessantly upon the Self and obtain
the Supreme Bliss of Liberation.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 05:56:23 PM »
Some how we have to constantly be in tune with the Divinity. The best is constant enquiry, if not then chanting shlokams, parayanams, reading books on Bhagavan or Upanishads, listening to Pravachanams. we all have mobile phones, we can add some pravachanams or shlokas and keep listening to it while doing of work. Developing a habit to look at Bhagavan picture every hour, or at every hour, just looking within, do enquiry for a minute, keep reminding about who we really are, the real Self. Remember some of the stories of direct devotees and their encounters with Bhagavan. Remember at times, the temporariness of everything around, nothing is going to last but the Self.... so on...

Somehow, keep always in touch with reality...

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 06:04:56 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Swami Shantananda Puri, who stays Korangu Thottam was visited by us once. He said that there are 18 reminiscences of
devotees. Each sadhak should first read them all. Then move to Talks,  Day by Day and then Letters. Then to Who am I?
Then to Upadesa Undiyar and Ulladu Narpadu.  He advised these step wise approach to understand Sri Bhagavan's teachings
and then continue self inquiry, as per His technique.

Arunachala Siva.     

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 06:25:10 PM »
that makes some sense, especially for a newbie... i wondered how would a newbie feel if he is given directly the Ulladu Naarpadu, the first verse which consist of only the word Ullam. :D

Some background of Bhagavan is very much necessary before one can taste the ambrosia of Bhagavan

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 07:01:20 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Yes, it is for new seekers who are afraid of self inquiry thinking as to how to live with ego or mind.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 07:06:55 PM »
योगस्य प्रथमद्वारं वांनिरोधोऽपरिग्रहः ।
निराशा च निरिहा च नित्यमेकान्तशीलता ॥३६८॥

The first gatewat of Yoga consists of:

1 control of speech

2 non-acceptance of possessions

3 non-entertainmnet of expectations

4 freedom from difference. seeing all as the same, good an bad
Shakespeare: there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

5 living always in a retired mood with only end or aim of worshiping of one Being

- Vivekachoodamani

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:17:19 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »
Practice to remaining STILL every day for sometime throughout the day for some time, say, for every hour, is an excellent way.

Remaining Still:
  • Seated in Sukhasana (Comfortable position)
  • Remain unmoved (no matter what)
  • Deliberate effort to not allow thinking
  • Remain in complete consciousness, awareness, like a watchman, not allowing the thinking
  • Being with yourself
  • Only cognizance of breath remains. develop further to even go beyond this cognizance of breath and remain absorbed in Self
  • Whenever all of the above fails, and when any vrittis that comes about, that are uncontrollable, let it do its job, don't force yourself to stop it, if you are unable to, it shall end, just remain a witness and don't get identified in it and forget yourself. It will subsides all by itself if we don't put fuel to it, and then be absorbed in yourself, do Self Enquiry and go back to attaining Stillness just as above
Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:16:57 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »
that makes some sense, especially for a newbie... i wondered how would a newbie feel if he is given directly the Ulladu Naarpadu, the first verse which consist of only the word Ullam. :D

Some background of Bhagavan is very much necessary before one can taste the ambrosia of Bhagavan

Salutations to Bhagavan

Dear Nagaraj,

I disagree here.  Personally I got  first attracted to Bhagavan's silent, his photos,  then Ribhu Gita , then Aksharamanamalai and then ulladhu narpadhu --  I will keep on hearing akshara mana malai though the tamil words are not understable.  Same with Rihu Gita -- I simply got captivated by its mesmerizing tamil singing tone and the 'illai', 'illai'  chapter 23 of Ribhu Gita attracts me and my whole family will have a mysterious look with obvious awe on their faces,  as they hear the 'illai , 'illai' at the end of each verse.

And once I learnt self enquiry practice it attracted me very much as if to provide mental relaxation.  But it seems my ego is using it as relaxing technquie , so straight away Bhagavan took me to Mathru Sri Sarada and now I only do japa of her name.  It has all finally turned to one pointed Guru Bhakthi --  I am ineligible for such a Guru Bhakthi,  it has somehow come only due to the Grace of our Beloved Maharishee.

Nowadays I turn to Maharishee to relax,  sort of grand Guru (sastras call Guru's Guru as parama Guru and Gurus'Guru's Guru as parameshti Guru).  So ramana is my Paramaeshti Guru.  And Maharishee is easing my pains,  when my Guru Sardamma appears very strict,  sometimes I cannot cope up with Amma's high standards,  so those times, I turn to Maharishee,  he does not do any recommendation ,  but he consoles me and soothes me. 

We never know indivisual mindset and how it culminates and adheres to a mode --  these things are very miraculous

Annamaali Swami recommends I am Brahman , I am the Self bhava.

For me Guru Bhakthi alone is more important.

You know  -- sadhana is very very unique.  We cannot regularize interms of reading books,  doing sadhana etc.

Especially everytime I go to Ramansramam,  the message is entirely different,   it is very mysterious.

From different Angle Ramana explains me the truthu,  sometimes like screens in Brahman,  sometimes asking me to find the real "I', sometimes maha nirvana room messages,  sometimes  just relaxing,  sometimes explaining the mind and its tricks etc.

I personally feel, with a Guru like Ramana Maharishee,  no one can imagine how he will approach and pass his message to a devotee.   We can never bring a common approach.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 11:42:51 AM »
Dear Krishnan, you are also correct :) in such cases, a sadhaka takes birth after having performed lots of Tapas, meditation and Punya Karmas in his past birth itself. Therefore one is well acquainted with the teachings of Bhagavan at the go, without even having to go through the preliminary stages again in this birth.

Take for instance the incident of Indira:

Indira was very mischievous. She used to see the books in the Almirah in the Old Hall, remove them, open some  books, and in the process, she made them to fall down also.  One day, in the Telugu Upadesa Saram book, she found these four letters written on the very first page. She read them aloud. Sri Bhagavan said:  Oh, Indira, all that you have read is the essence of all knowledge.  Keep this as mantra.  So Indira used to repeat these four words often and Sri Bhagavan used to appreciate her.

After some days, the father and two daughters left for their home in Andhra Pradesh.

Around April 1943, Indira fell seriously sick.  All through the months from 1941, she was chanting Dheham, Naham, Koham, Soham very
frequently.  During sickness too, she was chanting these mantras. She soon developed small pox and finally merged with Sri Bhagavan
on 13th April 1943, which was incidentally Sri Rama Navami day!

It is told that G.V. Subbaramiah constructed a small samadhi over the place, where girl Indira was buried and wrote down Dheham, Naham,  Koham and Soham.

Take the examples of Cow Lakshmi, she has already done much sadhana in her past birth and only a little karma was pending to be duly endured in her current birth and she attained Nirvana. There are many instances. Bhagavan Himself is the biggest example. He attained the Sahaja Nirvikalpa Samadhi at the age of 16. He had no read any scriptures, nobody knows if he even did his Nithya Karmas, Sandhyavandanam, etc... he attained in just few minutes. Where as compare with some saints who had to do so much tapas in caves, and undergo lot of sufferings to over come the mind body maya.

We don't know when, what happens. In tamil there is word called "Aalkollal" I don't know an english replacement for this word. We don't know when we will be consumed by Arunachala the Self.

:)

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 12:54:32 PM »

Dear Krishnan and Nagaraj,

I am not sure whether all forum members know the story of Indira, one of the two daughters of G.V. Subbaramiah. When
these two young girls were brought to Asramam during one of GVS's visits, Indira was doing a lot of mischief, looking into
the book shelf, taking Sri Bhagavan's walking stick etc., One day, she took some book and was trying to read it. Sri
Bhagavan used to love children very much and seeing her curiosity, asked her to say, Deham, Koham, Naham, Soham, which
were the first words of the four line verse. He told Indira: It is enough if you repeat these words and these will be mantras
for you, don't forget. The child Indira took it in all earnestness. She was repeating this mantra even after reaching their home
in Andhra.  After about 3 months she took seriously ill with an unspecified fever. Even in the feverish condition she was
telling Deham Koham Naham Soham and thus breathed her last. GVS made a small samadhi for her and inscribed these words
on the Samadhi.

We do not know what is the carry bag of merits one brings when one is born. For some it catches like dynamite powder catching
fire. It results in quick realization, without any elaborate reading of scriptures etc.,

Arunachala Siva.               

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »
Dear Krishnan, you are also correct :) in such cases, a sadhaka takes birth after having performed lots of Tapas, meditation and Punya Karmas in his past birth itself. Therefore one is well acquainted with the teachings of Bhagavan at the go, without even having to go through the preliminary stages again in this birth.

Take for instance the incident of Indira:

Indira was very mischievous. She used to see the books in the Almirah in the Old Hall, remove them, open some  books, and in the process, she made them to fall down also.  One day, in the Telugu Upadesa Saram book, she found these four letters written on the very first page. She read them aloud. Sri Bhagavan said:  Oh, Indira, all that you have read is the essence of all knowledge.  Keep this as mantra.  So Indira used to repeat these four words often and Sri Bhagavan used to appreciate her.

After some days, the father and two daughters left for their home in Andhra Pradesh.

Around April 1943, Indira fell seriously sick.  All through the months from 1941, she was chanting Dheham, Naham, Koham, Soham very
frequently.  During sickness too, she was chanting these mantras. She soon developed small pox and finally merged with Sri Bhagavan
on 13th April 1943, which was incidentally Sri Rama Navami day!

It is told that G.V. Subbaramiah constructed a small samadhi over the place, where girl Indira was buried and wrote down Dheham, Naham,  Koham and Soham.

Take the examples of Cow Lakshmi, she has already done much sadhana in her past birth and only a little karma was pending to be duly endured in her current birth and she attained Nirvana. There are many instances. Bhagavan Himself is the biggest example. He attained the Sahaja Nirvikalpa Samadhi at the age of 16. He had no read any scriptures, nobody knows if he even did his Nithya Karmas, Sandhyavandanam, etc... he attained in just few minutes. Where as compare with some saints who had to do so much tapas in caves, and undergo lot of sufferings to over come the mind body maya.

We don't know when, what happens. In tamil there is word called "Aalkollal" I don't know an english replacement for this word. We don't know when we will be consumed by Arunachala the Self.

Salutations to Bhagavan

Dear Nagaraj,

Actually I was taking a viewpoint not based on maturity but the inclination itself.

For some strange reasons,  for some people verses like ulladhu narpadhu are captivating without going into its meanings.

Atleast in my case,  Ribhu Gita chanting sometimes takes that shape -- different attitudes,  bhava images associated with that attitude,  different themes of Eternity occur to my mind when I hear Ribhu Gita.

For example, sometimes it will be as if the theory of spontaneous creation is being explained to me by this themes that come in the brain.   Sometimes the theory of Ajata (no creation)  comes to my mind.

Sometimes  in the maha nirvana room,  as if Bhagavan is eterntally present with some mysterious message ,  as if time and space has no existence.

Recently  I went to Ramasramam this Saturday in a long hardship, that I spent exactly 6 hours in Arunachala and returned back the same day.

In this trip,  as they put samprani (dhoop) in the new hall samadhi,  suddenly it occurred to me that these are just pictures or screens happening in brahman,  and that Bhagavan already knew these future time points and also that the pictures are just being coming to my chittam and moving one by one serially.

How to explain?  Hmm  --  as and when I hear this ulladhu narpadhu and especially Ribu Gita,  a certain mood takes over me like this. 

So I assume, Bhagavan's world is an open book --  somebody just picks up anything from any end. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 05:37:49 PM »
Dear Krishnan,

sometimes, silence is the best response. Bhagavan said, Silence is eloquent.

Bhagavan has said, like how a person, when he touches the fire, burns, irrespective to the fact, whether that person knew anything about the fire or not, the fire still burns! In the same way, a person who once comes in touch with Arunachala, is impacted whether or not the person came so with absolute faith or was just passing by the town, It has impact and it places the seed to liberation! Like how a small seed grows into the great ashwatta tree, this seed implants the seed for liberation.

Even though one chants or listens the Vedas without knowing its meaning, one can feel the impact of the vibrations of the chanting.

Good to hear your accounts of your visit to Ramanashramam Krishnan!

moments of grace...

With some magic powder, you stupefied me, robbed me of
my jiva-hood and revealed instead your Siva-hood. (73)

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 12:33:48 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 06:47:12 PM »
Dear Subramanian Garu,

I was not knowing this and thanks a lot for sharing this information with us.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 07:28:21 PM »

Dear Krishnan,

Nice to hear about your visit to Arunachala. But I am wondering, why are you all going and coming back in a hurry. You must
write to the authorities in advance, take room for three days [which they normally give] and visit morning and evening the
Samadhi Hall and Old Hall. One of the three early mornings you can visit Arunachaleswara Temple. If you start at 5.30 am and
be in the Temple Towers, any day is okay because early mornings there is no crowd, even on Fridays.  Again more importantly,
you should take lunch and dinner in Asramam. Sri Bhagavan's food is Guru Ramana Prasadam.  The kitchen fire was opened by
Mother Azhagammal in 1916-17 and till today, kitchen fire is started every day to give delicious sattvic food. Eating Ramana
Prasadam is also a great boon from Sri Bhagavan. Giri pradkashinam - you can do if time permits choosing a non-full moon day.
Go with one or two people in a group. If it is night time, the duration would only be about 4 hours, if you have got strong legs.

I always consider the above as a combo pack of Arunachala Darshan, which is most beneficial.

Arunachala Siva.