Author Topic: Handling disturbed mind  (Read 2685 times)

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Handling disturbed mind
« on: October 21, 2011, 12:43:40 PM »
Once Buddha was travelling with a few of his followers. While they were passing a lake, Buddha told one of his disciples, “I am thirsty. Do get me some water from the lake.”

The disciple walked up to the lake. At that moment, a bullock cart started crossing through the lake. As a result, the water became very muddy and turbid. The disciple thought, “How can I give this muddy water to Buddha to drink?”

So he came back and told Buddha, “The water in there is very muddy. I don’t think it is fit to drink.”

After about half an hour, again Buddha asked the same disciple to go back to the lake.

The disciple went back, and found that the water was still muddy. He returned and informed Buddha about the same.

After sometime, again Buddha asked the same disciple to go back.

This time, the disciple found the mud had settled down, and the water was clean and clear. So he collected some water in a pot and brought it to Buddha.

Buddha looked at the water, and then he looked up at the disciple and said, “See what you did to make the water clean. You let it be, and the mud settled down on its own and you have clear water.

Your mind is like that too! When it is disturbed, just let it be. Give it a little time. It will settle down on its own. You don’t have to put in any effort to calm it down. It will happen. It is effortless.

Having ‘Peace of Mind’ is not a strenuous job; it is an effortless process!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Handling disturbed mind
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 02:50:25 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Nice story about Buddha.  There was one Veera Saiva Saint Poetess, by name Akka Mahadevi in Karnataka. She was one of
the pioneers of Veera Saiva Movement, Lingayats. She was staying in Basava Kalyan, where the Lord is Kudala Sangama Deva.
This small shrine is there where there is confluence of Krishna and Tungabhadra in Northern Karnataka. That is why the Siva
is named as Kudala Sangama Deva, the Lord of the Meeting Rivers.  Akka Mahadevi was always in Siva meditation. She was totally
naked. She had forgotten all the three bodies, gross, sukshma and causal. She had no body consciousness at all. At that time
Allamma Prabhu, who is another Veera Saiva saint poet had come to the town.  Akka Mahadevi wanted to see him. So she  went
with some skirt made out large leaves stitched and made into a skirt which she wore around her waist.

When she met Allamma Prabhu, the latter asked:  What Akka! [elder sister], they say you have no body consciousness and
you have transcended all self respect. But you have come here with a skirt made out of leaves!

Akka Mahadevai answered: Anna [elder brother]!  I have some with a skirt of leaves not FOR MY SAKE. BUT FOR YOUR SAKE!

Allamma felt shy and immediately he prostrated to her, saying, "You are not Akka, You are Amma [mother]!"

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 03:25:49 PM »
Dear Nagaraj garu and Subramanian Garu,

Nice story of lord buddha and Akka Mahadevi garu.

I remember in one telugu dubbed tamil movie hero suggests to count 10 numbers when you feel anxiety,angry...and never rush to make quick decisions.

I think this simple formula also works for few..

Again you have strategy of Laughing Buddha..

But all in all bhagavan's self enquiry is ultimate to control negative feelings..

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »
Dear Prashant Sir,
Can you eloborate on the strategy of the laughing Buddha  which you have mentioned.
Thanks,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 07:56:34 PM »

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:12:42 PM »

Interesting. Never knew the story behind the laughing Buddha.

Last night, I was catching up on old episodes of Upanishad Gananga serial. Episode 51 (I think) was about a saint called பரவாயில்லை ஸ்வாமி (Paravayillai Swami - paravayillai means "it doesn't matter").  I have never heard this though I am from Tamilnadu.

The story goes that a north Indian swami settles in a Tamil village. He seems to know only one word "பரவாயில்லை" (paravayillai = "it doesn't matter"). Whether people give him food or yell at him or prostrate before him or complain to him, his only answer is பரவாயில்லை = "it doesn't matter".
Finally, a unmarried girl who is found to be pregnant, falsely claims that this Swami is the father of her child. To this too, Swami says பரவாயில்லை = "it doesn't matter". So the Swami is beaten and the girl is left with him. Swami cares for the girl and never defends himself. The boy who actually is the father feels guilty and surrenders to Swami and then confesses to the village. People come and ask Swami for forgiveness and he again says "பரவாயில்லை" = "it doesn't matter".

What a Jeevan muktha!!

I am going to use this பரவாயில்லை whenever my mind is disturbed!

Happy Sankaranthi/Pongal! It is snowing outside and the whole family is in school/work - it is hard to get the Pongal spirit - still, பரவாயில்லை!!
Deepa

Vinod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 07:56:42 AM »
Thanks to every one for such simple and very effective posts. At times I get disturbed with different thoughts & feel guilty that "how can I think like that" there by feeling ashamed spoiling my inner peace or my true nature or the meaning of my name "it self"

Thanks a ton!

Om Arunaachaleshwaraaya Namaha!

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 08:49:58 AM »
What we resist keeps attacking us. Instead of resisting any disturbance, if we can spare a moment and reflect, in that very moment of friction, it will be found that the very disturbance is cognized, therefore we must be different from that disturbance, and really that disturbance is not touching us. With this recognition we can respond prudently.

All problematic emotions pertain only to the mind, the personality, but never to us who stand as the untouched witness. These problematic emotion are often thrown at us like tomatoes and eggs only so that we can recognise ourselves emphatically.

--
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »
Quote from Sri Nagaraj Ji:
"it will be found that the very disturbance is cognized, therefore we must be different from that disturbance, and really that disturbance is not touching us. With this recognition we can respond prudently.

All problematic emotions pertain only to the mind, the personality, but never to us who stand as the untouched witness. These problematic emotion are often thrown at us like tomatoes and eggs only so that we can recognise ourselves emphatically."

Dear Sri Nagaraj Ji,

Yes. This is a wonderful insight. 'We must be different from the disturbance.' Thanks very much.

Pranam,
  Anil

deepa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2014, 08:25:47 PM »
Quote from Sri Nagaraj Ji:
"it will be found that the very disturbance is cognized, therefore we must be different from that disturbance, and really that disturbance is not touching us. With this recognition we can respond prudently.

All problematic emotions pertain only to the mind, the personality, but never to us who stand as the untouched witness. These problematic emotion are often thrown at us like tomatoes and eggs only so that we can recognise ourselves emphatically."

Very nice. We don't need to feel bad if the mind misbehaves, if we believe that mind is not us.
My guru once compared the mind to a virus-infected computer - this computer does whatever it wants.. runs programs on its own, stops on its own and does weird things. We don't have to feel bad about owning such a computer. But since we own it, we try to do what we can to fix it. But we do not have to identify with it.

silence

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2014, 11:07:04 PM »
Dear Friends,

The identification with the mind happens so suddenly, in a split second - so it is hard to be free of identification. I have tried but I keep slipping.......

Suresh