Author Topic: Arunachala Darshanas  (Read 6412 times)

Jyoti

• View Profile
Arunachala Darshanas
« on: October 06, 2011, 07:15:13 AM »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Arunachala Darshanas
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:38:52 AM »

Dear Jyoti,

Nice photographs.  In Arunachala, Devi and Siva share the same form. In a temple called Tiruchengodu, in Tamizh Nadu, the
stone image in the sanctum has been sculpted as half man and half woman.  He or She is called Ardhnariswarar.

Arunachala Siva.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 10:37:04 PM »
Is there anywhere a site that shows pictures of Arunachala from 8 directions?

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 02:12:55 AM »
Is it correct to assume that the murti of Lord Arunachaleshwarar consists of a lingam only (no face)?
It looks like on this picture.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 01:36:18 PM »

Dear Jyoti,

You are right. The murti of Arunachaleswara is in the form of Lingam.  Devi is in usual feminine form. Arunachala
Mahatymyam says Devi got her half of Siva's form in Arunachala.  Hence she is called Ardha Nari. Ardha = half; Nari =woman.
This is mentioned also in various Tamizh bhakti literature.

The Arunachala's eight forms can only be photographed by going through the giri valam route and taking photos in eight
directions. I am not sure whether any ready made photos are available.

Arunachala Siva.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 03:14:12 PM »

Dear Jyoti,

You are right. The murti of Arunachaleswara is in the form of Lingam.  Devi is in usual feminine form. Arunachala
Mahatymyam says Devi got her half of Siva's form in Arunachala.  Hence she is called Ardha Nari. Ardha = half; Nari =woman.
This is mentioned also in various Tamizh bhakti literature.

Isn't one of Devi's names Urcavar?
What is the meaning of this name?

I think I read somewhere that when Shiva manifested as the Lingam, Uma came out of the Lingam to enlighten Vishnu & Brahma about the nature of Brahman..
Or do I confuse this with the story from the Kena-Upanishad where Uma teaches Agni, Vayu and Indra?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 04:12:40 PM »

Dear Jyoti,

URchavar is the metal idols that come out of the temple on procession during festival days. Both Siva and Uma appear in the forms
male and female respectively, and these are called URcharav Moorthies of Utsava Moorthies.

I do not know the story of Uma coming out of the Lingam to advise Brahma and Vishnu.  In  Kenopanishad, she appears suddenly,
when the gods of air, fire etc., were fighting with each other as to who was greater.

Arunachala Siva.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 09:16:57 PM »

You are right. The murti of Arunachaleswara is in the form of Lingam.
Is this an exception, or did the person who took that photo make a mistake and it is not Lord Arunachaleahwarar?

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

Urchavar is present in all temples. Since the original Idol in the sanctum sanatorium cannot be moved or removed, the great sages came up with this concept of Urchavars in the Agama Shastras.

As per the rules prescribed by the Agamas, the Lord, will go round the place where every body can get chance to have darshan of the Lord. The sages were well aware that not every body could go to temple, hence the Urchavar is the direct representative of the main idol which goes to peoople due to he great Karunya Bhava of the Lord. The Lord goes to people. He comes down to the level of us humans, subtly reminding us of our real nature, calling us to the Sanctum Sanatorium (Self) hridya Guha.

Well this is the significance in a nutshell.

As regards to the form,

Linga signifies Formless. Linga is the symbol of the one with no beginning and end.

Urchavar always has form. It is given a simple form by which common people are able to get a grasp of the Lord and the Tatva. You can never see a Linga Urchavar. Urchavar always has a form.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:37:57 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 03:57:02 PM »
I think Durga Devi can be seen in Arunachala too, but I cannot find a picture.
Does one know a link?

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 04:41:42 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

the link is here: 

"Look Within"
Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 05:47:32 PM »
Dear all,

I do not know whether Durga Devi is there in the Hill. But there is a place in the girivalam route where it is called
Panchamukha Darsanam. You can see hillocks with in the Hill five in number, including the main Hill. These represent
Muruga, Devi, Ganapati, Siva and Nandi.

A recently published book called Ramana's Arunachala - in English gives all these details.  There is one Pachiamman Temple
inside the town (where Sri Bhagavan also stayed for some time) and this Pachiamman, the goddess is Durga Devi.

Arunachala Siva.