Author Topic: Ulladu Narpadu Verse 27  (Read 2337 times)

Ramakrishnan

• View Profile
Ulladu Narpadu Verse 27
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:48:58 PM »
Dear All,

Naan udiyadu uLLa nilai. Naam adhuvai uLLa nilai
(The State of non-emergence of 'I' is the state of being THAT.)
Nochur Sri Venkatraman, in one of his talks says, this line conveys the essence of all Upanishads.
Can we please discuss more on this?

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Ulladu Narpadu Verse 27
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »
Dear Ramakrishnan,

This is a very personal topic for anybody, and the more we discuss the lesser we actually are doing justice to oneself!  ;) in fact, this discussion will happen only after "Naan" uditha piragu (Emergence of I) and Bhagavan says remain without Udhiyaamal (non emergence of I)

in a nutshell, shun all urges and be, remain!

However lets see further :)

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ramakrishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 08:02:03 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

I am in awe of this verse - by its simplicity and at the same time by its profundity.
The directness is so illuminating (& shocking) that there is no place to hide.
But I see your point too.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:03:50 PM by Ramakrishnan »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 09:00:47 PM »
Dear Ramakrishnan,

Yes, this verse has deeply impacted me too! Its a powerful "mantra" we can say! :)

On one hand, this 'I' which raises about is actually said to not exist at all! Now bringing the classic Rajju Sarpa example where a rope is seen as snake by mistake, in the same way, the reappearance of snake again and again is the emergence of 'I' and the non emergence is itself the Self i.e. rope.

Somehow by the grace of Bhagavan we will become aware of this but the real challenge is living by this realisation which is tapas, constant tapas i feel. Its a conscious effort every moment. Its a moment to moment awareness. Which is what is conveyed in the Mahavakya -

प्रज्ञानं ब्रह्म​
Pragnyaanam brahma

Its a constant being awareness of awareness itself.

Tapas. Tapas and only Tapas it is I feel! There are many hindrances, no doubt, the powerful pull of Vasanas. There is no short cut electric current thats going to happen which will completely free us from these vasanas and desires. Its only our Conscious Efforts alone that is Tapas. That is the only way. Tapas is living the Truth.

Tapas is living the Truth.

Tapas/Conscious Effort is the only way to "be" without the emergence of I

There is no other way but to just be without allowing the emergence of 'I'

Consciously remaining

Sat Chit Ananda (Existence/Being - Consciousness/Tapas/Effortless Effort - Bliss/Ananda)

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:02:58 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ramakrishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:00:42 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

I never thought about it this way - but when you say , it is a mantra - everything clicks, that's it - This is a mantra - no doubt about it.
Thanks a lot.

saraskrishna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:11:17 AM »
Dear Nagaraj and Ramakrishnan,

This quote is really to be practised and realized rather than discussed in detail - Naan udiyadu uLLa nilai. Naam adhuvai uLLa nilai .  Sometimes during self-enquiry, i may get a desire to sit and read new topics in this forum and that will be again a thought, then I would console myself saying too much of reading and writing is also not recommended by Bagwan and I will want to get back to self enquiry or chanting Arunachal Siva.. 

yet, when we do so many other things in official and day to day life, i would always want to spend my leisure time in reading Bagwan and this forum ...

As Bagwan said that we always exist with self, but we are only disturbed by thoughts and vasans causing the ignorance, I feel, - Naan udiyadu uLLa nilai. Naam adhuvai uLLa nilai - should the state or space between two thoughts for us, which should be maintained always..

with love,
Arunachal Siva Arunachala Siva..

Ramakrishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:26:12 AM »
Exactly - instead of getting our mind disturbed with unwanted things - using this forum as a fuel to our Sadhana and getting more inspired by fellow members is the point.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:10:16 PM »

Dear Ramakrishnan, saraskrishna,

Yes. Nan uidya uLLa nilai - the state where there is no rising of ego.
Nam adhuvai uLLa nilai - we are in that state of Reality.

This can be a mantra. Whenever one's ego rises, he can say it is not 'I', it is not my 'ego';
I am the transcendental Reallity, This sort of japa or meditation does a lot of good, to find
out who we really are.  But  it needs effort, effort, effort and perseverance.

This is called Heart Verse of the entire ULLadu Narpadu. After describing the sadhana for self
inquiry from Verse 23 to 26, Sri Bhagavan describes the saadhyam - what is possible,  with
that sadhana. Again from Verse 28 to 30, He describes the practical method and ends up with
the saadhyam, goal again in Verse 30.

In Verse 26, He speaks of extinction of the ego, or self extinction. In Verse 30, He describes
the attainment of Pooranam, the Goal, the Completeness.

Arunachala Siva.         

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »
Dear all,

This appears in the current Saranagati newsletter.

D: Does not the enquiry, ‘Who am I?’ turn out in the end an empty formula? Or, am I to put the question to myself endlessly, repeating it like some mantra?

M. Self-enquiry is certainly not an empty formula; it is more than the repetition of any mantra. If the enquiry, ‘Who am I?’ were a mere mental questioning, it would not be of much value. The very purpose of Self-enquiry is to focus the entire mind at its source. It is not, therefore, a case of one ‘I’ searching for another ‘I’. Much less is Self-enquiry an empty formula, for it involves an intense activity of the entire mind to keep it steadily poised in pure Self-awareness

(http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/pdf/Saranagathi_eNewsletter_October_2011.pdf)

Its a constant tapas, Constantly keeping the entire mind steady within without allowing ourselves to go outwards. Its a constant "work", "effort" to remain in "That" abidance, to remain as That.

The intense activity is all about "Naan Udiyaadulla Nilali" Non Emergence of 'I'

Remaining, Just Being. "Chumma Iruthal"

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:30:24 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta