Author Topic: Lalitha Sahasranamam  (Read 24980 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Lalitha Sahasranamam
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 05:42:08 PM »

Dear SLakshmi.

In Durga Sapta Sati [Sri Devi Maahatmyam], we find several demons. Who are they? If
you investigate, all of them are in us only.  There is a Rakta Bhija, our every drop of blood
spits lust, anger and greed. We are all Rakta Bhijas. Who is Chanda - Munda? They are
the ego and karma. Who is Dhumra lochana? Again our greed, liust, jealousy too. Who is
Mahishasura? Mahishasura is within all of us. We are having ox head that speaks of our
egotistic feelings.  All demons are inside each of us. We should pray to Devi to kill them
so that we can attain the Suddha Brahma Swarupam!

In Lalita Sahasranamam also there are many names which speak of advaitam. Sivajnana pradayini,
Mother is the first amoing the people who have attained Siva Jnanam. She is Brahma swarupini.
She is apala gopa viditha... She is merciful even to ordinary cowherds and shepherds.  We should
only have that bhavam to surrender to Her.

Arunachala Siva..

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 07:50:07 PM »
Sreeswaroopji,

I live far away from ramanasramam. But i will surely keep your advise in mind when i go there. I have never been able to see the srichakram though. I have seen the friday poojai that takes place...

It is only very recently that i have started chanting lalitha sahasranamam. I really like it a lot. The names of the shakti or the devi are so beautiful. It captivates you at once...

Subramanian sir,

Namaskarams,

How diffferent is bhagavan's devi kalottaram from lalitha sahasranamam?

Ramanarpamastu

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 09:41:01 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

Since you started chanting Sri Lalitha Sahasranamam, hope that the meaning of the names will be gradually understood. It is not the names alone, Sri Devi is perceived of all the beauty which is beyond our imagination.

Once we understand the meaning of the names, it will be revealed that, unlike other Devi Bhavam like Chadi, there is not a single name which denotes KRAURYAM (anger). All the wars and eliminations, of our emotions and passions as aptly described by Subramanian ji, is being done by various other Devathas deriving the power from Sri Lalitha. She is SPACE whereas Siva is TIME.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 01:26:04 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

Sri Lalita Sahasranama Parayanam,  is quite powerful and one should
chant it understanding the full pronunciation. I hope you know Sanskrit.
If you want to know the meaning, it is better you buy Sri Latita Sahasranama,
from Sri Ramakrishna Ashram, [the book which contains a long foreword
from M.P. Pandit [of Sri Aurobindo Ashram, a Sakta].  The foreword itself
is very alluring. People would say that ladies should not chant during their
monthly periods. It  is all non sense.  You can do chanting even during those
periods, after taking a bath. Mother is only Compassion. She does not
care for all these. She wants only purity of mind.

Devi Kalottaram is a different kettle. It speaks of Siva's teachings to
Devi, where many conventional practices are pooh poohed and only
Self inquiry is recommended.

Arunachala Siva.     

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »
Subramanian sir,

Since you mentioned the topic of the "impure" time of the month - I wonder if, incase what you said was true then why is it that they dont allow us to go inside a temple [ a devi temple for that matter!] and even at homes, the kitchen and pooja room is forbidden!?

I think subramanian sir, that lalitha sahasranamam involves some tantric phrases and i think it dosent suit one to overlook matters that have been followed  religiously for a long long time.. There has to be some thing to it...maybe something in vedas and puranas...

Sir, i have downloaded the stotram in my laptop and recite along with the recording. I still stutter on difficult words and phrases but am able to recite atleast a significant portion of the stotram without any trouble...

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2011, 11:59:37 AM »
Dear Friends,

The advice of the Paramacharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham should be carefully heeded in this respect -

As this Vidya is the means of both Bhoga and Moksha, it is taught secretly only to eligible persons. The practitioner is also enjoined to keep this Upasana secret. The Sruti says:

अन्तः शाक्तः | बहिश्शैवः | लोके वैष्णवः || [कौलोपनिषत्]
AntaH shAktaH bahiH shaivaH loke vaiShNavaH (Kaulopanishad)

Ar heart Shakta, outwardly a Shaiva and in gatherings a Vaishnava (who generally gather together for worshipping in the praise of Hari)

The Shakti Upasana should be known only to the mind and not broadcast. Even while wearing on the forehead the Sindura Prasadam of Devi, the Upasaka should cover it with bhasma. As Shiva and Shakti are one, this can be done.

aIyate shivasAyujyaM kShIyate pAshabandhanam
atha dIkSheti kathitaM budhaiH sacChAstravedibhiH ..

The first qualification for a Upasaka to perform Pooja is obtaining Diksha from a competent Guru. the rite called Diksha is supposed to be destroying all the limiting factors of the individual self and facilitate his union with Shiva.

Such a Initiator or Guru would advise his/her disciple if one is ready to chant these Shlokas or mantras even during impure time or otherwise and generally devotees are advised to take caution to the various rules according to the Shastras. Muruganar would not have stopped performing his rituals and Shardha specially, if it were advised by anybody else but Bhagavan.

The practice of Bhakti in all its three forms constitutes Upasana. There the form to be adopted as the object of devotion is also a matter of choice. Indeed, Bhagavan Krishna assures us that he confers on the sincere devotee, unwavering devotion to the chosen form.

YatrAsti bhogo na tatra mokShaH yatrAsti mokShaH na tu tatra bhogaH |
ShrIsundarI sAdhakapuMgavAnAM bhogashcha mokshashcha karastha eva ||

"Where there is worldly enjoyment, there is no salvation; where there is salvation, there is no worldly enjoyment. For the great worshippers of Sri Sundari, both worldly enjoyment and salvation are at hand’ – will come alive with a new significance."

Bhaskaraya has said:

The Sadhaka will experience, as his Japa and Upasana progress, that he is able to get some supernatural powers, Siddhis as they are known. His mind will also be distracted by various material pleasures thrusting themselves upon him. He must be careful, remembering parokShapriya hi devaH and these are directed at preventing him from attaining his goal of Brahma Jnana.

(Reliable Sources)

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:22:01 PM by Nagaraj »
If one's mind has peace, the whole world will appear peaceful.

~ Sri Bhagavan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2011, 12:12:49 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

I still stick to my views. By not allowing ladies during that time either into
the temple or the puja room or kitchen is again an archaic practice.
Do Christian girls prohibited from entering church during such periods?
What about nuns? Don't they preach or teach during such periods?
Mental purity is more important. 

This is all male chauvinism.

Arunachala Siva. 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »
Dear Subramanian Sir,

I respect your views. But I would like to quote this popular quotation which I felt is quite appropriate -

"...Just because something is going on for centuries, it need not be RIGHT and just because something is going on for centuries, it need not be WRONG too..."

:)

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:42:19 PM by Nagaraj »
If one's mind has peace, the whole world will appear peaceful.

~ Sri Bhagavan

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 01:37:19 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

Both of them are right but in different PLANES. The subject is so vast that it is not easy to convey through short posts. First about Lalitha Sahasra namam:

1.   Sri Lalitha Sahasra Nama Sthotra japam may be done by all irrespective of location/time/age/sex and caste/creed etc..according to Kaliyuga vidhi. It is always better to obtain as  Deeksha from a Tantric Guru. Or have it from a learned one.
One may also worship at a Ganesha temple considering Ganesa as Guru and start chanting. While doing this, care has to be taken for the CHANDASS and the names with a view not to break the names. Each name implicates a mantra which has immense power. Subramanianji has rightly said, SHE is COMPASSION and a mother’s compassion is not technical. Ignorance/ non- initiation is not a crime there. It all depends on the mental attitude and maturity of the person.

At the same time one has to remember that while working with Electricity, necessary precaution has to be there as it will not differentiate between knowledgeable and ignorant. One may get shock.

2.   Nagaraj ji says:  The advice of the Paramacharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham should be carefully heeded in this respect. This is also right while doing Sri Lalitha Sahasra Nama Sadhana in Tantric way. In short, in tantric way, there are three types of Sadhakas- Uthungam, Sreshtam and Samanyam. Initiation from Guru is a must here and there are various connected Nishtas and rituals. Though similar in general, it differs to certain extend in details, according to the lineage. If necessary we shall discuss it here.

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

Second: 
You asks: why is it that they dont allow us to go inside a temple and even at homes, the kitchen and pooja room is forbidden!?

Subramanian ji says: By not allowing ladies during that time either into the temple or the puja room or kitchen is again an archaic practice.

Right. But why this practice?  The  Sasthras for the temples vary in accordance with the tantric concepts of its installation . In some temples  installed by the SIDHAS  such tantric restrictions are not there. But in others where PRATHISHTA is done in accordance with say, Kathyayani Tantra, ladies are not permitted during their menstrual periods.

To put it simply, the temples are not mere places of worship like churches or mosques. It is a place where Tantric Shadadhara Prathista has been done. ( If it is not, no restriction is required ). The power of Kundalini is being invoked here for the benefit of the worshippers. Just for understanding (the subject is so deep) let us think that it is the upward or positive force (Surya). The downward or negative  force (Chandra) is stronger in ladies during the periods. There are other social reasons too.

Now a days there is no reason why such practices are being followed in Homes and kitchen provided the people are more civilized and have adequate infrastructure to keep the environment. It also applies to the pooja rooms but subject to the availablility of  Prathista within.

The above restrictions are not applicable to the Sadhakas in some lineages under Dathathreya tradition and also for KALI upasakas.

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 03:07:38 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

Thirdly:

As said earlier there is no ASUDHI VIDHI for chanting Sri Lalitha Sahasra Namam. Even during periods, ladies may chant it. When unable to take bath, do PANCHA SNANAM ( Cleaning eyes/nose/top of head/hands/legs etc) by cleaning or sprinkling water. When that too is not possible, just hear the reading by others.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »
Unlike some other concepts of Devi, here, the form and bhava of Sri Lalitha  is  perceived as the purest one and as the embodiment of unimaginable beauty, innocence, compassion and karunyam.
Is there any form of Sri Lalita with 2 arms only?
I always like murtis better when they have 2 arms only, maybe because I'm from Europe.

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 10:14:52 AM »

Dear Jyoti,

According to the DHYANA ROOPAM in Sahasra Namam, Sri Lalitha have four arms. We have no right to change it or do dhyana as per our wishes while chanting. Iswara thathwam starts with the number FOUR. Hence there will be minimum four arms for Iswaras, say, Ganapathy, Vishnu, Subramanian etc. The number TWO comes for Brahma Tatwam which is beyond Iswara Tatwam.

The order of visualizing it in Dhyanam: Start from the upper right hand of the devatha and proceed clock-wise to end with lower right hand. For Sri Lalitha, Pasam/ Ankusam/ Banam/ Flower arrows  have to visualized accordingly.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 10:30:45 AM »

Iswara thathwam starts with the number FOUR. Hence there will be minimum four arms for Iswaras, say, Ganapathy, Vishnu, Subramanian etc. The number TWO comes for Brahma Tatwam which is beyond Iswara Tatwam.
Is that why Krishna has 2 arms?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »

Dear Jyoti,

Krishna has got only two arms when he walked on the earth, as man.
Srimad Bhagavatam says that he has four arms and even eight arms in
His Abode. Whereas there is no story of Lalita walking on the earth
as a woman.

Arunachala Siva.