Author Topic: Lalitha Sahasranamam  (Read 64707 times)

SLakshmi

• View Profile
Lalitha Sahasranamam
« on: September 28, 2011, 09:44:38 AM »
Dear Friends,

Being the first day of navarathri, starting today, i would be happy to hear the mahatmiyam of lalitha sahasranamam and any purana kathas asssociated with it. Some people chant lalitha sahasranamam everyday and have been known to have gained immense self-belief and stamina from the recitation. Kindly also post details if it has any mention in ramana leela..

Ramanarpamastu

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
Re: Lalitha Sahasranamam
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 10:59:32 AM »
Dear SLakshmi,

Sri Laltha or Sri Maha Tripura Sundari  is the ultimate satvic concept in Tantric lineages, especially, ‘Hayagreevam’. Unlike some other concepts of Devi, here, the form and bhava of Sri Lalitha  is  perceived as the purest one and as the embodiment of unimaginable beauty, innocence, compassion and karunyam.

Worship of Devi in tantra is considered to be very confidential and to be obtained from a Guru properly. But anyone who is interested to do so may simply chant it. Gradually he will get proper directions from within or outside.
•   Anyone wishes to worship Sri Laltha may chant this.
•   On full moon days one may do archana to Sri Chakra while chanting this
•   By  doing so one gets all- bhukthi and mukthi. Becomes devi-swaroopam itself.

It is told that whatever may be your wish, material or spiritual ones, will be achieved through the chanting.

Generally :
•   Chanting should be whole – donot try to complete it in parts
•   Donot read in silence; better to chant loudly
•   Morning/ Evening is good. Aviod  afternoon.
•   Face North/East/the deity
•   There is no Asudhi vidhi – When Asudhi is there, do upamsu (doing japa with lips)
•   Non-initiated ones may just chant the Nyasa sloka and need not do Nyasa physically

Once the meanings of the words, at least the simple meaning, are understood then one may get proper direction from within / get a proper physical guru.

If you have already reached before Bhagavan, whatelse you need?

During  Navarathri days, besides Sri Lalitha Sahasranamam, Navakshari mantra and Devi Mahatmyam (Durga Sapthasathi) are also followed  for  worship.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
Dear SLakshmi,

Infact, Bhagavan Himself is Shaki. Some months back, when I was getting more involved in Ambal Prarthanai, somewhere deep inside my heart I felt a little worried whether I am going away from Bhagavan and getting inclined more towards Ambal (Stupid thing, but you see thats how the mind is) In all this confusion, I picked up some book and when I opened some page in between, the following appeared, as if Bhagavan was speaking to me directly and all the dubious games of my mind was put under rest confirming that Bhagavan Himself is Ambal and that Arunachala is nothing but verily Sri Chakra Meru.

This afternoon, during a conversation regarding old Sankara Vijayam, Bhagavan asked one devotee whether it was not a fact that amongst all books on the life of Sankara, Sankara Vijayam of Vidyaranya was the best. “He was a great scholar and so his book is taken as an authority by all,” said that devotee. Bhagavan said, with a smile, “Yes, his mental powers were very great. He was a great votary of Sri Vidya, you see. He therefore wanted to create a city in the shape of Sri Chakra (wheel) and started doing it in Hampi but could not complete it. So he said that an emperor in future would rule the country and would be able to build a city in the shape of a Sri Chakra. When I told Nayana about this while I was on the hill, he made a peculiar comment, namely: ‘Sri chakrakriti sona saila vapusham, sri shodasarnatmakam occurs in ‘Arunachala Ashtaka Stotram’ written by Sri Sankara. Besides this in Arunachala Purana, it is stated that this hill is reputed to be in the shape of Sri Chakra. Hence, without searching for it, we have been lucky in getting this place which is in the shape of Sri Chakra. Bhagavan is the Chakravarthi (Emperor). If about ten houses are built around the hill, this itself is a great empire. Sankara must have intended this only,’ so said Nayana. He followed it up by arranging the whole administrative set up by saying, ‘Here is the commanderin-chief, that man is the treasurer, he is this, he is that.’ It used to be very amusing when he was here. All used to sit together and say, ‘What are the refreshments today for our Durbar?’ Then they used to draw up a programme, cook, and eat. They used to conduct the programme as if they were ruling an empire. This Sundaresan and that Kalyanam, were they like this then? Oh! Each person used to be highly active and hilarious. They used to think that they were great warriors,” said Bhagavan.

“When was all that?” asked Sivanandam. “That was while we were in Virupaksha Cave. Nayana actually drew up a plan on paper for the city to be built. A special place was allotted for me in that plan. Afterwards he used to draw up plans suitable for the administration of the empire. No king, no kingdom — plans, however, were got ready. Many plans were prepared like that. Where was the king? Where was the kingdom?” asked Bhagavan. Subba Rao, a disciple of Nayana, said, “Why, was there no king? He is just opposite to us. Only this king wears a loin cloth. What is wanting?  Haven’t houses been built around the hill? Isn’t the place where Bhagavan sits, like a king’s palace? The whole administration here is going on like a king’s household. Only there are some differences between an ordinary kingdom and this. That is all.”

“That is all right. Nayana also used to say that the position of a Maharaja and a Mahajnani is the same. When astrologers predicted that Tathagatha (Buddha) would become either an Emperor or a sannyasi, full of wisdom and knowledge, his father prevented him from going out anywhere, kept him in the palace and tried his best to interest him in the pleasures and luxuries of the palace. At last when he (Buddha) somehow managed to go out on some pretext, he saw all the sufferings of people in the world. So, he ran away and took sannyasa. One of the two empires, material, or spiritual,” said Bhagavan.

IT ABSOLUTELY DOUBTLESS THAT ARUNACHALA HILL IS MERU ITSELF and Bhagavan is the very Shakti worshiped as Sri Lalita Tripura Sundari. Lalita Sahasranamam is verily another stotram which is nothing but Self Enquiry itself. All Her names only signify the the highest Brahman as revealed to us by Bhagavan. Evert name of Sri Lalita only directs to the Self.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:04:13 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 11:33:26 AM »
Ganesh!

what a revelation! I had never come across this view of the hill - it is the srichakra meru itself! Really, i felt a thrill reading your post. You know only nayana can do this - his description of bhagavan being the chakravarthi alongwith ministers, attendants...so amazing. Actually if you go to tiruvannamalai you can see that it IS  a samrajyam. It is ramana samrajyam. One can actually feel and imagine what it would have been like in ramar samrajyam and during times of those maha-gurus like valmiki...

Ganesh, to tell you the truth, i was sailing in the same boat. I had begun to recite lalitha sahasranamam and although i felt good and happy, I was also a bit uneasy about not following bhagavan  completely and about the shift in my focus. This has put all that uneasiness to rest. I take it as bhagavan's direction that i can continue with the same. At the end of the recitation i recite the saranagati slogam...

Sreeswaroopji,

Lots of insightful information. Indeed, worship of lalithambika is powerful and at once you feel the difference...

Ramanarpamastu

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 11:52:05 AM »
Dear SLakshmi,

Yes, its truly exhilarating experience. Here are some more information pertaining to Bhagavan and Sri Chakra (Ramana Leela) -

By February 1949, all the jobs were almost completed and the consecration was fixed for 17 March 1949. In that context the lingam [?] etc. which were at another spot were brought and placed at the new place and abhishekam of the temple crest was performed according to the procedures prescribed in the sastras. All the rituals were carried out over a period of three days. The Puri Sankaracharya also participated in the function. Though a separate elevated seat was offered to him befitting his status he declined it and sat on the floor over a deer skin near Bhagavan. During his conversation with Bhagavan he asked for a clarification of a particular scriptural saying. After Bhagavan gave the reply, the Sankaracharya repeated that he could still not grasp the point. Thereupon Bhagavan looked at him bestowing his grace for about half an hour. The Sankaracharya shut his eyes and with tears flowing down he bent before Bhagavan and said that he had understood the subject. As the Sri Chakra was to be laid in the shrine and as he was an adept at it, the Sankaracharya himself volunteered to attend to the job.

Bhagavan sat close by and blessed the proceedings.

He was later asked to open the new hall. As he did not have enough energy even to open the lock, the sculptor assisted him in doing it. Bhagavan later entered the shrine and blessed the Sri Chakra by touching it. After that, he walked down to the stone `throne' on which cushions were laid and granted darshan to the visitors. On the second day a number of devotees spoke and music concerts were held. The Kumbhabhishekam took place.

on the 17th morning. All through the time there was great enthusiasm and rejoicing.

Those who observed Bhagavan during those days felt that he was bestowing his auspicious and supernatural powers on the Sri Chakra and others. His physical strength was at a low ebb but the work he embarked on was very arduous. It looked as if he was transferring all his powers to them.

It may not be inappropriate to elaborate about the presiding deity here viz., the Meru Sri Chakra, which is about two feet square with adequate height. Sri Bhagavan spent the night at the spot when it was fixed. He sat there bearing the heat of the furnaces used to melt the metals so that they could be properly fixed. Bhagavan himself placed the gold Sri Chakra beneath the Meru.

After the Kumbhabhishekam daily pooja was being carried out at the shrine. But as no special poojas were being performed at the Meru Chakra it was felt expedient to do this also. This commenced in 1953. Special poojas are performed on six occasions every month such as each Friday and full moon day ? They are quite an elaborate affair spread out over some hours.

All the plans for poojas were finalized during Bhagavan's presence when an attendant remarked, "How nice it would be if these poojas were to be continued forever". Bhagavan assented and asked. "But who would take the trouble?" Sadhu Arunachala (Chadwick) came forward to take the trouble. Everything has since been going on quite regularly. It could be due to the influence of the poojas, that all the problems relating to the Ashram got slowly resolved.

I have also read elsewhere from Sadhu Arunachala's recollections that Bhagavan had circumambulated several times around the Sri Chakra the previous night when no body was around. Later it was decided to build a wall on both sides of Sri Chakra so that nobody else could circumambulate the Sri Chakra after it was sanctified by Bhagavan circumambulating it!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 12:09:15 PM »

Passages from the Diary of a Pilgrim to Sri Ramanasramam

Paul and I recited the "Sri Lalitasahasranam Stotram" as we went and Ramaswami's mood was melted. Here and there he would single out a name and repeat it in ecstasy.

We stopped the rickshaw to walk around the shrines of Ganesha and Hanuman and had passed Adi Annamalai by the time the recitation ended. The sun was setting and the sky was covered in hues of gentle pink, lavender and an unearthly blue. The normal reality of objects and events seemed called into question in
the magical light of dusk.

Ramaswami said, "You have the recitation of 'Sri Lalitasahasranam Stotram' by heart, it seems. Very few can do it — it's a very rare thing. And you do it with faith.... 'Sri Lalitasahasranam' is so concentrated, so powerful! You can go on and on reciting it like Bhagavan's hymns."

"Sri Bhagavan's teaching is really practical, but some people make it into a philosophy. They really wish to publicize themselves. People may talk on and on about Bhagavan, they may praise him, but unless they practice his teachings none of this impresses me.

"I can't talk this way with everyone," Ramaswami commented. "I am talking with you as though to a goddess. Because, you see, in India we stress that a man must be very careful with women — even one's own mother! But you recite 'Sri Lalitasahasranam' daily by heart. Not everyone is capable of this. Some brahmins may do so, but you do it with devotion and faith. When I hear 'Sri Lalitasahasranam' I am completely immersed. You can practice it the way I recite Akshara Mana Malai — automatically it goes on. I may pick it up anywhere and continue with it."

I described to Ramaswami the routine of morning and evening recitations done at Arunachala Ashrama, stressing that we all recite Mother's Names by heart. He said, "Regular parayana is good, but Self-enquiry must be practiced always . . . continuously. By practicing stotram regularly, one may acquire most of what one desires in life. First one, like a child, asks of God and receives; second, he will say, 'Whatever You wish is best.'; finally, there comes a state in which even to think is a sin. Thought itself will be rejected.

Source: http://www.arunachala.org/newsletters/1998/?pg=mar-apr. The Devotees here, spent a lot of time with one of bhagavan's oldest devotees, sh. ramaswami pillai.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 12:31:18 PM »
I wish i would learn the Arunachala Aksharamana Malai by heart! :)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 12:44:30 PM »
You know ganesh, ramaswami pillai was mad about arunachala. He would suddenly just spring into aksharamanamalai even in the middle of the night with such bhavam that no one would really complain! :) He said that it was a great mantra and repeating that alone was enough to lead us to bhagavan.

One more person like that was sub-registrar narayana iyer. David Godman says in his blog - To Narayana Iyer the content of Ulladu Narpadu became a vedic truth and its verses veritable mantras. He took to chanting them as japa. The constant chanting of Ulladu Narpadu was all the religious observance known to him. It would start right from the morning.

Amongst all works of bhagavan, I find aksharamanamalai really emotional. bhagavan has written it with so much emotion that u cant help but be moved with it. Like sreeswaroopji just said, having come bhagavan what else do we need?

Ganesh have you read this fascinating life story of sh.narayana iyer. Here's the link. You will be amazed at his one pointed devotion. Such an inspiration.

http://sri-ramana-maharshi.blogspot.com/2008/07/remembering-sub-registrar-narayana-iyer.html

Ramanarpamastu

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 01:05:53 PM »
Dear All,

" IT ABSOLUTELY DOUBTLESS THAT ARUNACHALA HILL IS MERU ITSELF and Bhagavan is the very Shakti worshiped as Sri Lalita Tripura Sundari" states by Nagaraj ji. It cannot be expressed more clearly! As a  humble devotee, it was my observation too, even before reading about it. When I first saw the hill, I felt it.

By touching the Sree Chakra, Bhagavan has done the PRANAPRATHISTA ( in our words) transforming it alive. It connects to all the yantras in the world and nourish them too. This immense power will be there for all the ages to come.

The upasana of Sri Tripura Sundari - Sri Vidya - is known as Brahma Vidya, leading the upasaka to Advaitha - the self enquiry. As such there is no ultimate difference from  Bhagavan's blessed words. It is only the difference of the method which does not exist beyond certain level of evolvement of upasana.

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

Quote: "Regular parayana is good, but Self-enquiry must be practiced always . . . continuously. By practicing stotram regularly, one may acquire most of what one desires in life. First one, like a child, asks of God and receives; second, he will say, 'Whatever You wish is best.'; finally, there comes a state in which even to think is a sin. Thought itself will be rejected.

In my experience, even the beginners may start with surrendering to HER wish and forget about the desires. When duly evolved one will be doing the worship with the last offering of SIVOHAM SIVAHAM - offering ourselves to HER, ie, I am Siva and You are Siva. Is it not the surrender as advised by Bhagavan? This will help certain people who are unable to proceed/ progress in the direct path of self enquiry.

Since Bhagavan's grace is there, I don't think that one may bother much about these.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »
Absolutely Sreeswaroop!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 05:34:12 PM »

Dear SLakshmi, Sreeswroop and others,

In fact, Saiva Siddhantam speaks of Siva-Sakti as inseparable
concorporate.  Saint Manikkavachagar says this beautifully in
Tiruvachakam, Kovil Mootha Tirupadigam, Verse 1:

{UdayaaL} your consort is within you,
And you are within UdayaaL, your consort,
Both of you are within me, let this slave
Be in the company of your devotees for ever,
Please grace this alone, O Lord of the Golden Hall,
The unending causeless Siva! please confer this boon to me.

Arunachala Siva.     

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 10:57:19 PM »
Ganesh!

Thanks for the photo of Matrubhuteswarar garbha griham at ramanasramam!

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 10:03:29 AM »

Dear Slakshmi,

Please also offer your worship (by japa/sthotra) to the Sri Chakra installed therein, which is visible at the time of Abhisheka (7.30 a.m.). It is better to connect to the Cosmos by looking to the Sri Chakra for some time, say, 15 minutes. As you may be aware of, Sri Chakra is the genetic code of the universe. The fact that  Bhagavan installed this in the Ashram itself shows its potential and power available to the aspirants.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »

Dear S.Lakshmi,

In Mother's Temple, you can see several images inside the sanctum sanctorum. The one closest
to the back wall is Maha meru, Sri Chkara in three dimension. Every Friday puja is done for this.
Then comes Matrubhuteswara Lingam. On his right is Utsava Miurthy,  Yogamba. This Yogamba
alone is adorned in various fashions during Navaratri. There are adornments as Gajalakshmi,
Annapurani, Simha vahini, Gaja  vahini etc.,   Apart from these, there is Vinayaka and Subrahmanya.

Sri Lalita Sahasranama can be chanted on all days and particularly in these 9 days.

durga saptasathi - there is a parayna methoid, The 700 slokas are chanted on the basis of
some verses per day. This is called Sapta sathi parayana. Sapta sathi parayana should be
followed with some naivedyam to the goddess.

Advaitam takes Brahman as primordial and Sakti as manifesting power. The six religions
classified by Sri Sankara keeps one god or goddess as Primordial. Saktam keeps Sakti.
There she is Brahma swarupini. In Kaumaram, Muruga is Brahma swarupam etc.,

Arunachala Siva.