Author Topic: Vasanas  (Read 3112 times)

Ramakrishnan

• View Profile
Vasanas
« on: September 27, 2011, 03:02:26 PM »
Dear All,

Bhagavan in, Naan Yaar (Who am I), says, when Prana arise, Mind, according to its Vasanas, also arises.
1) How are Vasanas  different from thoughts?
It looks as though, vasanas are thoughts only, but over a period of time, due to negligence , form layers and layers (just like hard stains on  bathtub) of patterns, that are difficult to remove, which later becomes, tendencies and volition.
Would we need to apply Self-Enquiry to clean the bathtub (metaphor for mind) or discard the bathtub altogether, saying I don't own it and I don't have anything to do with it?

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 03:09:56 PM by Ramakrishnan »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Vasanas
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »

Dear Ramakrishnan,

Vasanas or latent tendencies are deeply imbedded in the mind. While thoughts come out from
the surface of the mind, Vasanas would come out when the occasion arises. The vasanas
should also be completely vanquished, as and when they are surfacing. Jada Bharata was a
great ascetic. But he loved baby deer and when he was about to die, he was thinking about
the baby deer left alone without care. Hence he had to take birth as a deer.  However, Vasanas
and thoughts are used interchangeably.  After pranayama is over, the deep rooted vasanas
come out through the medium of mind and create havoc. This is what Sri Bhagavan says in
Who am I?  In self enquiry, vasanas are also uprooted since the mind is killed. Mind is the
base for both thoughts and vasanas.

Arunachala Siva..

Ramakrishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »
many thanks Sir!

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »

Dear Ramakrishnan,

Subramanian ji has rightly explained it. As he said, "Vasanas would come out when the occasion arises". That is the trouble for the ordinary sadhakas. So what to do? Sri Ramakrishnan said that one has to burn it - ie, by heating. And that is TAPAS.

I understand that SELF ENQUIRY taught by Bhagavan is a Tapas which burns the vasanas. Those who are not able to do it due to the accumulation may fully surrender to Bhagavan and seek HIS grace. Various paths in the scripts also lead us to this end.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »

Dear Ramarishnan and Sreeswaroop,

Yes. Self inquiry and meditation [dhyana or tapas] would burn away all thoughts, including the
imbedded vasanas.

Arunachala Siva.

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:42:17 PM »

Dear Ramakrishnan & Subramanian ji,

Once (Mar 13, 1937) Travancore Maharani, among other things, asked Bhagavan, in this regard.
Bhagavan replied that for beginners, who were not matured enough to start Atma-Vichara, might proceed through suitable japam or upasana.

S.Subramanian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 10:19:54 PM »
All actions performed get impressed in the mind.  These impressions are known as  'samskaras'.  The resultant enjoyment of the actions also get impressed in the mind and these are known as 'vasanas'.  Eating a sweet makes a samskara in the mind while enjoyment of its sweetness makes a vasana in the mind.  Samskaras are very powerful and they determine the character and behaviour.   Swamy Bhajanananda of Sri Ramakrishna Math has dealt with samskaras and vasanas in great detail in his essays.