Author Topic: DELETED  (Read 8446 times)

srkudai

DELETED
« on: September 23, 2011, 09:55:13 AM »
deleted. Why all this when all we need to do is follow the "I" and Find the Truth ?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:46:38 PM by srkudai »

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Living in Meditation - A Case Study Based Approach
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:44 AM »
Dear srkudai,

these are good approach, I felt personally Bhagavan's Self Enquiry circumvents all of these preliminary discernment's and hits directly at the Bulls-Eye!

It is beneficial for many though :)

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:48:22 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 10:46:30 AM »
in the sense that Bhagavan's way does not give importance in 'knowing' the observations, He tells to ignore what ever the discernments may be, just keep holding on to the "DISCERN-ER" and not even bother about what is "DISCERNED"

generally, we tend to get carried away by what we discern and stay put in that!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »
yes any thing could trigger a small fire and one can realise any moment!/

:)
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 03:20:26 PM »

Dear srkudai, Nagaraj,

Mind by itself will do no harm. Only when the mind gets into contact with the world, beings and
objects, the problems of dislike and likes arise. There can be many examples. I am travelling
in a bus. A friend of mine is travelling and due to want of seat, he is standing far behind. I am
sitting in one of the front seats. I do not see. That my mind through senses does not observe
him. Then after a few stops, he gets down from the back door. No encounter at all.  This is one
typical case.

In the same bus, an enemy [not a friend, we can take it] is travelling.  I am sitting on one of the
rear seats. He comes in and stands near me or sits in front seat. Now my mind, through my eye
starts working. Why this rascal should come in the same bus? He borrowed Rs 5000 from me
and it is one year and still he has not returned the money. He must be cheating others also in
the same way. All sorts of thoughts come up.  I am itching to get my stop so that I can get down.
The stop comes and I get down. He "looks" at me with a side glance and avoids me, in wonderment. Now, I come home. My wife says that the same friend has repaid the money just after I had left,
and he also profusely apologized for the delay.

Now, is the thought the enemy or the 'friend' the enemy?  All problems arise out of thoughts only.
Good, bad, ugly all sorts of thoughts. This is also the reason we take sides with some cinema heroes etc., There is no thought about Kamal Hasan or Rajanikant in the deep sleep. In the morning, when I get up, my wife seeing the headlines in paper says the Rajanikant is ill and he has been rushed to Singapore. If  I like Rajanikant, I shall start a big lecture about his good acting, good qualities etc.,  If I do not like him, I would say, Hmm. he is sixty+ age and spends time only in acting and earning more and more money. What else would befall but some illness?  All are thoughts. The mind by itself does not produce thoughts. Mind when associated with world, objects and beings - produce a large amount of thoughts. A thoughless mind is Suddha Manas. It is quite close to the Self. Both the vrittis are not allowing the mind to be still. That is why Sri Bhagavan says in Who am I?: Both likes and dislikes should be eschewed. Sri Bhagavan lived in that way.  When someone who was not speaking well about Sri Bhagavan, died, [he was also a usurious money lender, making poor borrowers suffer],  the devotees wanted to know Sri Bhagavan's reaction on the news.
Sri Bhagavan said, "O that Gounder! He used to wear spotlessly white dhoti all the times. He was so much interested in cleanliness."  The devotees were surprised and disappointed.

[./b]

Arunachala Siva.             

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 04:17:55 PM »
Dear Subramanian Sir, Srkudai,

I remembered an instance where Annamalai Swamy was worried about certain thought about women in his mind and he prayed to Bhagavan to help him out. Bhagavan very casually took him to a place and made him stand on a rock for some time, and told him not to move his feet no matter what! Annamalasi Swami could hold on for some time, he could bear the heat for some time and there after he could not, and then when he pleaded once again, Bhagavan told him to ease and then made hims aware where were his thoughts about women during this time. Annamalai realised the essence. Keeping awareness within.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:13:56 PM »

Dear srkudai, Nagaraj, Ramakrishanan,

In the Annamalai Swami's incident, Sri Bhagavan did not condemn the happenstance per se.
Alright, Annamalai Swami happened to see a lady cooly with buxom breasts and she was very
attractive. The mere seeing brought about thoughts of lust in him.  Of course, this is bad. But
what Sri Bhagavan condemned was his harping over the thoughts, O I did a sin,, I did a sin,
why did I do it? etc., etc., It is the replaying the thought that was bad. It smothers the mind more
and more. Sri Bhagavan punished him more for that.

There is a Zen story. One Zen Master and two of his disciples were walking on the bank of a river.
The river was neither shallow nor very deep. Say, it was just deep up to one's waist. When they
were walking, they saw a beautiful girl in mini skirt, hesitating to cross the river, lest the water
would wet her clothes. The Zen Master and the two disciples were also to cross the river.
The Zen Master asked the young girl whether she should cross the river. She said yes. The
Zen Master immediately took her up on his shoulders and crossed the river and left her at the other bank.  The two disciples also followed the Master.

The two disciples were talking in hush hush tone: See, his is a great Zen Master, who have conquered all passions. How can he lift that girl and put her on his shoulders and carry her to the
other bank.  It is something.....;

The Zen Master was eavesdropping their low tone conversation though he was a few steps ahead.
Then he stood there and then told the disciples:  I have left her long back. Why are you still
carrying her?  The disciples became speechless!

The very event may or may not be correct. But harping about the event with rushing thoughts
after the event is more sinful. Thoughts and emotions are the No. 1 enemy. For that mind and ego
should be conquered.

Arunachala Siva.   
.      . 

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
Dear Subramanian Sir,

You have presented further "clarity" in the Annamalai Swami incident. I did not think in that dimension :)

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 07:55:01 PM »

Dear Nagaraj, srkudai,

Sri Bhagavan's dispensation was quite unique. He did not, left to Himself, punish anyone.,  But He
definitely condemned harping about the incidents, happenings etc., There was almost a similar
incident, inside the Asramam. A lady cooly and a male cooly were looking at each other giggling
at each other and talking some sweet-nothings. After all, they were coolies and not sadhakas.
The only thing that had to be told to them was not to have such amorous pursuits inside the
Asramam and while working.

But Chinnaswami, upon a complaint from other laborers, promptly dismissed them.. Without any
job for their livelihood, they left in a sad mood. This dismissal was not brought to the attention
of Sri Bhagavan. But Sri Bhagavan knew it.

Next day, when He was coming down from the Hill, He noticed two dogs, a male and a bitch
vigorously copulating at the foot hills almost near the Asramam. Sri Bhagavan planted His stick
and was standing steadily and looking at these two dogs. The devotees who came with Him
were nonplussed.  Why should Sri Bhagavan look at this 'dirty scene'? they thought. After some minutes Sri Bhagavan asked the devotees standing with Him: Now, who is going to dismiss these?    The truth flashed on the devotees' minds.

Once Sri Bhagavan said:  I have come here to Grace people. If I start punishing them,  then
not even a crow would fly over the Asramam!  His avatara was to Grace and not to punish, however
bad they could be.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 08:19:53 PM »
Dear Subramanian Sir, Srkudai

Here is one more very pertinent incident that I recollected (has already been been posted before) -

Ramakrishna Swami, who had been serving Bhagavn for many years, started visiting a woman in the town. Her relatives caught him in her house, bound him hand and foot and locked him in a room. He managed to escape and came running to the Ashramam, pursued by his enemies. When he enetered the Ashramam gate, they gave up the chase. He entered the hall trembling and fell on the ground shouting 'save me, save me'. After Bhagavan had heard the man's confession, he looked at the culprit with understanding and pity and said, "You don't need to have this fear any longer. Go and sleep."

The Ashramam people requested Bhagavan to send him away, for his presence would tarnish the good name of the Ashramam. Bhagavan called the man and told him in front of everybody, "You have done some wrong, but you were too foolish not to keep it secret. Others do worse things, but they take care not to be caught. Now, the people who were not caught want you to leave the Ashramam because you were caught." The person was allowed to stay.

Salutations to Sri Ramana
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 08:25:17 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Ramakrishnan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »
heart warming stories....

saraskrishna

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 11:19:37 PM »
nerve racking incident, takes me to the story in Bible where Jesus helped and saved a lady from an angry mob pelting stones on her...

God ! I have no words to speak here... My Father Ramana, I pray to you that you shall never forsake me even if I commit mistakes out of my ignorance, please correct me and take to towards you always  !! Make me strictly follow your guidance and give me that strength please.. and so for all your devotees here...

with love
Arunachala Siva Arunachal Siva

saraskrishna

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 11:54:12 PM »
Dear Udai, I really like this topic of Observation ! I used to analyze myself in this way many times.. as said, when small thoughts form together to form an emotion, then it becomes difficult to get back to self enquiry, like if a pot is shaked, the water in it gets agitated and it takes some time for it to come back to its stand still state.. it takes a while for humans...  to analyse how an emotion is formed then seems to be difficult.. b'cos all things happened in just fraction of seconds.

two days back, when I was driving on the totally damaged Arcot road here in chennai near saligramam, it was a very tight traffic.  Actually, i was patient and trailing behind vehicles.. another car in my right wanted to move before me, he didn't bother about me and started driving very close to my car, scratching my rear view mirror.. i suddenly took a quick left and then i realized an auto standing very close to me.. that auto driver intentionally stopped there without moving forward though there was a enough space. he wanted to create a scene by allowing me hit his auto, all these happened while moving the car from stand still traffic.. I didn't want to quarrel at all, yet the auto driver was shouting at me and whole crowd was staring at us.. all of a sudden i raised my voice to some level, shouted at him and then we moved on.. i wanted to know why did I shout and what is the reason behind my stupid anger at that point.. why wasn't I able to manage that situation..

the answer what i got up on analysing myself was so silly that, in that crowd, many were watching us and if i didn't react to him in that way i would have been considered as a fool or a coward by some unknown people in that crowd.. so, that was a kind of pride in me to exhibit outside that i'm not a fool to keep my mouth shut and move away as a coward. so it is again a thought in me that made me shout.. basically, am not a courageous person, i always feel that i shouldn't hurt anybody in anyway and that is also another reason for this i think..

however, overcoming or conquering these emotions and thoughts are bit difficult..

with love,
Arunachala siva Arunachala siva..

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 10:27:35 AM »

Dear saraskrishna,

A nice example of an incident. Many times our perseverance is mistaken
for cowardice.  But let us not bother about someone calling as coward.
Let us keep Sri Bhagavan in our heart and continue to be patient in life.

On Mondays, when I go to Murugan temple here in Bangalore, on certain
important days, the crowd is milling.  Many people jump the queue and try
accommodate themselves in the space between two persons. What to
do? I keep quiet. The only way perhaps is not to leave space between you
and the person in front of you. Sometimes, if it is a lady, you can stand
quite close to her too. We see such situations where our patience is
tested or when some one does injustice to the rules. On most of the times
I keep quiet.  Sometimes I recall the incident where an urchin urinated
on the back of Sri Bhagavan who was meditating keeping His eyes closed
in the Hill.  Sri Bhagavan simply wiped the urine with His towel and continued
to sit in samadhi.

Arunachala Siva.

Arunachala Siva.       

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 02:32:31 PM »

Dear All,

Is it not a question of not dealing the issues in the proper plane?
VYAVAHARA & PARAMARTHA issues need not be mingled.

1. If you are a farmer ploughing the field, you are bound to work with the bullocks - Vyavaharic; at the same time you treat them as your self- Paramarthic. There is no conflict.

2. Similarly with a thief and Police man.

Otherwise one has to renounce all, leaving the Vyavaharas and live in Paramartha (Sanyasam)