Author Topic: Mantras  (Read 26324 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Re: Mantras
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2011, 05:58:53 PM »
What is Guru mantra? Is the the mantra that your Guru has given to you or the mantra which praises the name of the Guru (like Om namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya)?
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2011, 06:46:42 PM »
Guru Mantra, is that mantra which attributes to the Guru. Ashtakshari Mantra is attributed to Narayana. Panchakshari Mantra is attributed to Shiva. PanchaDasakshari Mantra is attributed to Sri Vidya and so on...

Attributes are nothing but Paths, which take you acorss the ocean of Samsara. Here when we refer to "Guru" Mantra or "Shiva Panchakshari Mantra" or "Vishnu Ashtakshari Mantra", etc... it does not really refer to the form of that deity. It means, through that form, be it Vishnu, or Shiva, or Devi, you are made to see that Ultimate Formless Self, which is yourself.

Mantra Sadhana, Japa Sadhana is that constant repetation and contemplation of that deity, by which the Mind Ekagram (Oneness of Mind, Concentration) is acheived.

That Mantra, what ever it is, is the refernece or the address of the destination. That address points to ones own self. Guru Mantra, what ever it is, leads to a point where You are yourself that Guru, whom you adored and respected and sought his blessings and upadesa and Mantra Upadesa from.

Tat Tvam Asi is the Address.

Guru Mantra, Shiva Mantra, Vishnu Mantra, Devi mantra  -  All represents the Self.

Guru(remover of avidya Ignorance - Self), Shiva (All Auspiciousness - Self), Vishnu (Which is all pervading - Self), Devi(Shakti - Energy, as "I-I" - Self) - These are all just another names of Self or Atma.

Bhagavan Ramanar allowed the use of Om namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya by everybody. Any body is free to take it as a Mantra Upadesa, Arunachala, Arunachala Ramana, Rama, Hare Rama, etc... These are few mantras which one is already eligible to use for mantra Japa, and one is by default give Dheeksha for few such select Mantras.

Certain other mantras require iniciation by a Guru. They are given based on the inclination of the Sadhaka.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2011, 06:55:20 AM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Guru Mantra reminds me of two mantras, indicated by Kavyakanta Ganapati Muni and further
elaborated by Kapali Sastri in his Sanskrit commentary for Sri Ramana Gita. ( English translation
by Sankaranarayanan. There two mantras have been indicated to invoke Sri Bhagavan.s
Grace and bkessings.  CAUTION:- These must be initiated by another Bhagavan devotee,
who has been initiated and who has been regularly chanting.

Om Vachatbhuve Namah :

(Salutations to the Effulgence)

Om Saravanabhava :

(This is also used in Skanda Upasana)

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2011, 08:50:50 AM »
Dear Subramanian Sir,

"Om Vachatbhuve Namah" reminds me of the essence of Gayatri Mantra. And, Gayatri Mantram in turn reminded me of a story as told by Bhagavan which foretells the importance of Initiation. Bhagavan once said "What is Gayatri? It really means ‘Let me concentrate on That which illumines all’

A devotee asked, “Can anyone get any benefit by repeating sacred syllables (mantras) picked up casually?” Sri Bhagavan replied, “No. He must be competent and initiated in such mantras.” To illustrate this he told the following story.

A KING VISITED his minister in his residence. There he was told that the minister was engaged in repetition of sacred syllables (japa). The king waited for him and, on meeting him, asked what the japa was. The minister said that it was the holiest of all, Gayatri. The king desired to be initiated by the minister but the minister confessed his inability to initiate him. Therefore the king learned it from someone else, and meeting the minister later he repeated the Gayatri and wanted to know if it was right. The minister said that the mantra was correct, but it was not proper for him to say it. When pressed for an explanation the minister called to a page close by and ordered him to take hold of the king. The order was not obeyed. The order was often repeated, and still not obeyed. The king flew into a rage and ordered the same man to hold the minister, and it was immediately done. The minister laughed and said that the incident was the explanation required by the king. “How?” asked the king. The minister replied, “The order was the same and the executor also, but the authority was different. When I ordered, the effect was nil whereas, when you ordered, there was immediate effect. Similarly with mantras.”

(Stories as told by Bhagavan)

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:01:53 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2011, 11:20:41 AM »
dear all ,
I am sure Subramanian Sir will agree and bless us all in this forum for using the below mantras .
Om Vachatbhuve Namah :
(Salutations to the Effulgence)
Om Saravanabhava :
(This is also used in Skanda Upasana)
Both the criteria mentioned by Sir can be expected to have been   fulfilled.
CAUTION:- These must be initiated by another Bhagavan devotee(Subramanian Sir has indirectly initiated us all ) ,who has been initiated (The fact that Subramanian Sir is mentioning ,means we can expect him to be initiated) and who has been regularly chanting (Knowing Subramanian Sir we can expect him to be regularly chanting.
Subramanian Sir :- forgive me for the impetousity but we all need your blessing.
Regards,
Anand  Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 08:56:24 PM »
Can I chant "Om namo Bhagavate Jai Ramanaya" instead "Om namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya"?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 03:54:24 PM »
Dear ramana,

No problem. But the first method is in vogue in many Ramana devotees.

Arunachala Siva.

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 08:11:50 PM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Dear ramana1359 & Subramanianji,

1. To my humble knowledge "Jai" is not appropriate since "namo" is there.

2. Basis of chanting mantras is FAITH. Why try to change it?  What is the purpose?

3. If  one is making new ones, it is OK. But what is the authority? There are already crores of them given through the great   SEERS..

4. Finally if one is capable of making a new mantra, such question will not arise.

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »

Dear srkudai,

1. That is OK, if you are doing it in Advaita. But for those who are not capable of such a state there is another meaning for the word 'Namo' - I bow to you  /  my salutations to you  Bhagavan.

2. If 'Sri' is dropped why retain 'Bhagavan'?

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:03:43 PM by Sreeswaroop »

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »

Dear srkudai,

Thanks. Further as you have written earlier there are mantras with a good number of syllables. Even though they are used for specific purposes, they help us to go to deep meditation too.
Ex:- Shodasi (28 syllables); Maha Ganapathy (34); Sri Syama (97); Maha Varahi (112) etc..

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2012, 07:47:23 PM »

The mantra Arunachala Siva has been initiated by Sri Bhagavan for all of us. Just keep telling throughout the day, whenever time is there,
even one minute time. No counting necessary. No fixed rule. I used to tell even while lying in bed and even before bath in the morning.
Muruganar said: O Master! Even if I forget myself, my tongue should utter your name. (Tiruchuzhiyal Padigam, Sri Ramana Sannidhi
Murai.)

Arunachala Siva.   

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 09:04:40 PM »
Nama Japa is repeating the Name of God. But what is more proper repeating? What I mean? For example:

1. Om namah Shivaya or just 'Shiva, Shiva, Shiva'
2. Sri Ram jai Ram jai jai Ram or only "Rama, Rama, Rama"
and so on

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 04:55:01 PM »
Dear ramana,

Any mantra is okay. But longer ones, you may stumble while repeating. That way
Rama, Rama or Siva, Siva is easier to repeat.

Arunachala Siva.   

sanjaya_ganesh

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 05:17:36 PM »
Friends

I have heard Kavya Kanta Muni used to complete vows like completing 5 Crore Panchakshari etc. and as we all know he is a great great Mantra Sadhak when he met Bhagawan. My question is - does counting help in any way to control the mind or prevent it from wavering - in that sense - not in the sense of keeping accounts :). Any advice on that please?

I found that keeping a count actually prevents the mind from sleeping / switching off hearing the same mantra repeated. Does the counting help in keeping tamasic forces at bay?

-Sanjay
Salutations to Bhagawan

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
Dear ramana,

Normally counting is done while chanting mantras by fingers or telling beads. Initially yes, it shall divert your mind from chanting
to counting. But in due course, it will stabilize without distraction.

Arunachala Siva.