Author Topic: Mantras  (Read 22325 times)

Hari

• View Profile
    • Fundamental questions about mind
Mantras
« on: September 14, 2011, 05:39:03 PM »
Can we choose wich mantra to chant or we need initiation by Guru.
Web Page dedicated to the Great Sages:
https://someoneelsebg.000webhostapp.com/Sages/HTML.html

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Re: Mantras
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 05:55:53 PM »
Traditionally speaking, according to the shruti's any mantra will only be effective only when we receive a Dheeksha from a Guru.

Legend has it that even Valmiki got Rama Naama Dheeksha from Narada. At that time, Valmiki could not even utter the word "Rama" and was only able to utter it as "Mara"

However, these days, people take up by themlseves, which too will accrue same effect. Its best to seek a Guru and get a Dheeksha specially if it is a "Mantra"

For Nama Japa, one may take by oneself, say Rama, Rama Jai Raja Ram, Rama, Rama Jai Sita Ram or Hare Ram Hare Ram Ram Ram Hare Hare. Bhagavata says, Nama Smarana is best for Kali Yuga to get salvation.

Since in our country we have the Guru Sihsya Parampara since time immemorial, its best advised to seek from one Guru.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 06:23:01 PM »

Dear Ramana 1359,

All mantras require initiation by Guru.  But Sri Bhagavan has told
everyone to chant Arunachala Siva. He wrote AAMM in the beginning
for his devotees where Arunachala Siva comes. At the end, before
His leaving His mortal coil, when the devotees sang AAMM, He  shed
tears of bliss. So He has approved this mantra for all His devotees.

Arunachala Siva.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »
Dear friends,
In the Arunachala Mahatmyam , it is said that Arunachala Shiva recited once equals  one crore times OM NAmah Shivaya.
Out of curiosity , is there someone who is versed with MAntra Yoga who can quantify the fruits that are achieved with Japa of Om Namo Shivaya.
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 10:48:36 AM »

Dear Anand,

I have been initiated in Sri Pachadasakshari.  I have been telling these
mantras also.  I also chant Arunachala Siva.  But I have never tried
to quantify the benefits. Quantification is an act of ego.  The Maahatmyam
says so only to highlight the importance of the mantra Arunachalam.
 Nothing more.

Arunachala Siva.

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 10:30:01 PM »
Dear Ramana 1359,

To supplement the above posting, let me write:
Mananat thrayate ithi mantraH – means that which protects or help us to cross ‘samsara’ (life in this world). This is the literal meaning of the word. It is not compiled or composed by anybody; it is there in the akasha. The first one who receives (heard) it is known as its ‘Rishi’ and he imparts it to his disciples and a ‘parampara’ (lineage) is born for that mantra. Sri Parameswara is considered as first Rishi. There are various Rishis for various mantras. There were (are) Gurus having the knowledge of more than eight crore of them.
There are ‘nama’ mantras and beeja mantras. Mantra is the form of a particular deity, which becomes the centre of your consciousness, on repeated recitation. For example, for five-faced Shiva, there is Panchakshari; for six-faced Subramanian, it is Shadakshari and for Sri Lalitha, there is thrikuda Panchadasi.
Bhagavan had confirmed the benefit of reciting the names of Gods and doing Mantra –japa, pooja etc. if the devotee had already been used/ advised by his guru to do so. But to my knowledge he, himself, was not used to give any such advices. In Mathrubhutheswari Sannidhi, there is Sri Chakra prathista and pooja is still going on (in which the recitation of mantra is unavoidable).
Bhagavan had been sarcastic when a devotee grieved that there was no progress for him even after doing the mantra japa everyday. Though Bhagavan had been silent, later he told the others that one’s duty was to do the japa as advised by the Guru and not assessing the progress or benefit.
Generally, Mantras have to be received from a proper Guru (Deeksha). Remember that a jeeva (life) is born only from another jeeva. The learned ones advise that it is better to get from a Guru which has a tremendous effect on the disciple. It leads to ultimate knowledge and Mukti.
Otherwise select any Mantra according to one’s own taste and liking. This also has great purificatory effect. Sidha Mantras like ‘Om Sri Mahaganapathaye’; ‘Om Nama Sivaya’; ‘Om namo Narayanaya’; ‘Hari Om’ etc.. may be selected accordingly.
Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 12:22:32 AM »
What about the people who cannot find their Guru must do? Or they who follow a Guru who is not physically present? Do they have to forget about japa practice? Is mantra japa something like concentration practice or there is something more?

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:21:43 AM »
What about the people who cannot find their Guru must do? Or they who follow a Guru who is not physically present? Do they have to forget about japa practice? Is mantra japa something like concentration practice or there is something more?

Dear ramana1359

it can never happen that one does not find a Guru. That is impossible! A Guru is always there, just we need to recognise HIM. He is just before us like the huge himalayas, just we need to recognise that.

This can never happen that one does not find a guru. so :) no worries, the more we sincerely we do our bit, we would be able to recognise the Gurur who is  even Pratyaksha ever present!

not only Mantra, keep chanting shlokas, with deep fervor, bhakti.

Have this attitude,

त्वमेव माता च पिता त्वमेव, त्वमेव बन्धुश्च सखा त्वमेव, त्वमेव विद्या, द्रविणं त्वमेव, त्वमेव सर्वं ममः देवदेवा

Tvameva Maataa Ca Pitaa Tvameva
Tvameva Bandhush-Ca Sakhaa Tvameva
Tvameva Vidyaa Dravinnam Tvameva
Tvameva Sarvam Mama Deva Deva

You are my Mother And You Truly are my Father
You are my Relative And You Truly are my Friend
You are my Knowledge and You Truly are my Wealth
You are my All, My God of Gods

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 10:25:35 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:33:44 AM »
and moreover, A guru can appear in any way, He could be just your mother, father or your uncle, he could be your teacher as well.

Approach the one you respect the maximum who is in your vicinity, it could be some body, grandfather, a respected elder. Approach such a respected person and seek guidance in this regard :)

Satguru Paahi Paahi,

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 10:54:06 AM »

Dear Sri Ramana 1359,

Q: What about the people who cannot find their Guru must do?

Ans: Just do whatever is familiar and capable by one in his pursuit – reading spiritual scripts, chanting sthothras/ names, visiting religious places etc. One’s entry into this forum/ similar ones will initiate him.

Guru need not be a different physical body. There was no such physical Guru for Bhagavan as told by him. Further, if required and destined so, Guru will come to you at the appropriate time. One need not search for a Guru. Since the guru is the grace of God, it has its own way.

Ultimately, there is only one’s self and no Guru apart from that. Another person, book, incident, emotion etc may help and direct one to that self- that’s known as God’s grace.

Q: Or they who follow a Guru who is not physically present?                                       

Ans: Still you reach your goal. We have the example of Sri Ramana Bhagavan.

Q: Do they have to forget about japa practice?

If you are able to proceed in the path as Bhagavan advised, there is no need for such practices. But if you are not ripe enough due to acquired Vasanas, it will help.

Q:  Is mantra japa something like concentration practice or there is something more?

It depends on the approach. The major effect is that it helps to concentrate. But for that purpose you may use simple Nama mantras.  There is much more,  which is even beyond our imagination. You create your own Deities in a form of your liking and  with their help go beyond to Advaitha. One also gets Sidhis and immense power through them which can be used for good/evil. Just for understanding it is like generating electricity. The world of Mantra is like world of music and there is no end if one goes on exploring.

Bhagavan had not given much importance to these things. Yes, it has not much effect on Jnanis. Hence  we need not explore much in this area. If one is already initiated and doing Sadhana, it is OK.

Personal: I believe that my Sadhana before and after initiation led me to Bhagavan. I got the direction to Bhagavan from  my Guru. Hence it is my suggestion that one may not bother about all these things once he is within the grace of Bhagavan. The discussion is good only for the purpose of information.

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »

Dear friend,

Why do you say that a Guru is not available, what to do?  Sri Bhagavan is our first Guru and
He has told us Arunachala Siiva,  Arunachala Siva.  He has sung AAMM and even on the last
day, when people seeing the hopeless state of Sri Bhagavan mortal coil, started singing
Arunachala Siva, Arunachala Siva. And He looked at them approvingly with tears of bliss
coming out of His eyes.  That is His approval of mantra for all.

Arunachala Siva. 

Hari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 10:17:42 PM »
Can we do japa without mala?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 05:52:55 AM »
Dear ramana,

Yes. One can count with fingers and do japa.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 10:08:03 AM »
Yes, it is mandatory to have minimum counts of atleast 108 to start with. Traditional practices recommend 3 times during the day: During Sunrise, During Mid day and During Sunset. It has to be done facing the east.

With the progression of this Sadhana, eventually, one can culminate this japam during work and etc. But before that, atleast a minimum of 6 month of strict practice of 3 times a day is mandatory. It is important to maintain the time very much because, it trains us from all other duties and to give more importance to Japa during these three times.

One of the most used ways of keeping count of Japam with fingers is given aside. One should count upto 10 and then count from back to first again and one cycle completes 20 counts and 5 such 20 counts makes it 100 + 8 counts makes it one complete Japa of 108 counts.

Another way recommended is the use of Japa Mala. Commonly, people use the main index finger to keep counts which is wrong to do so. The Shrutis say, one has to rest the Japa mala in the middle finger and count using the thumb. Image as given aside. One should never use the index finger for any purpose in any ritual performance.

Before one commences the Japa, one should wash his limbs and face and sit in one calm corner upon a mat and prepare oneself mentally and begin the Sadhana. It has to be done slowly and not fast very rhythmically

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 10:15:34 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 10:19:50 AM »

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya!

Dear Ramana1359,

Various methods are there in doing japas just like doing cooking. First one has to select a line as given by his Guru or according to his vasanas or tastes and stick on to it. In due course he will get the information / wisdom to proceed further.

Generally it may be confusing if one goes for shopping all the methods.