Author Topic: Pranayama  (Read 2219 times)

Jyoti

• View Profile
Pranayama
« on: November 10, 2011, 11:23:03 PM »
Bhagavan said that one can do this simpla Pranayama to calm the mind_

Exhalation: I am not the body. (naham chinta)
Inhalation: Who am I? (koham)
Hold brath: I am He. (soham)

Now I read that instaed of "Who am I?" one can also ask "Whence am I?".

Sri Ramana has advised that Self-enquiry can either be done in the form 'Who am I?' or in the form 'Whence am I?'. 'Who is this I?' may rather be called 'I-attention', 'Self-attention' or 'Self-abidance'. Enquiring 'Whence am I?' is enquiring 'Whence is the ego?', meaning ‘From what?’. When taken in this sense, instead of a place or time coming forth as a reply, Self-existence, 'we', the Thing (vastu), alone is experienced as the reply.

He who seeks 'Whence am I?' is following the ego, the form of which is 'I am so-and-so', and while doing so, the adjunct so-and-so, having no real existence, dies on the way, and thus he remains established in the Self, the surviving 'I am'.
source

What are the 3 questions for "Whence am I?"?
I take it one should use one's own language, not Sanskrit?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Pranayama
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 05:36:26 PM »
Dear Jyoti,

Whence am I? I.e, wherefrom I come? also helps one to investigate the source of 'I'.
Wherefrom means the place from where the mind jumps out with thoughts.

Arunachala Siva.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 05:39:35 AM »
Dear Mr. Subramanian,

Yes, thank you.
But for "Who amI?" Bhagavan gave 3 setences to be used with breath, so that by this Pranayama the mind stays focused.
Are there also 3 sentences for inhalation - exhalation - holding breath with the questin "Whence am I ?"?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 06:41:15 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

The words deham (body), naham (not I), koham (then, who am I ? ), Soham (I am Sivam).

These words are Sanskrit words. They can be used for inalation, retehntion, and exhalation
of breath.

Sri Bhagavan said that in brehathing, retention and breathing out should be done in a
natural manner and with efforts as if this is an exercise. Natural retention of breath is
called Kevala Kumbhaka.

Arunachala Siva.

Jyoti

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 07:26:21 AM »
The words deham (body), naham (not I), koham (then, who am I ? ), Soham (I am Sivam).

These words are Sanskrit words. They can be used for inalation, retehntion, and exhalation
of breath.
Dear Mr. Subramanian,

Thank you for explanation.
Can everyone use Sanskrit, even a person such as me who never took lessons in Sanskrit?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 07:37:27 AM »
Dear Jyoti,

Yes. It is important to adopt correct pronounciation.

Arunachala Siva.