Author Topic: Headaches and Migraine  (Read 2869 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
Headaches and Migraine
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:59:48 PM »
dear friends,
Else where I had written about how  bittterness in human interactions was seen by me as a  cause for headache /  migraine for me .I also feel than an added cause is the inward turn that Sadhana leads us to wherein there seems to be some strain on the nerves that Bhagavan also referred to.
Sometimes this headache is also not conducive to Sadhana .
Is there something that we can do to avoid such headaches.
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Headaches and Migraine
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 09:41:03 AM »

Dear Anand,

I  am of the view that the head ache caused by the strain, is not  due, as much,  to turning the
 mind inward, but preventing the habitually out-turning mind from doing that.  If such a head ache is persistent,  one can, for sometime, listen to some good music by closing the eyes. Music is said to have soothing effect on head aches and migraines.

Arunachala Siva, 

amiatall

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 02:57:55 PM »
Dear Anand,

Since childhood I have found that at least to me, the best method against any pain is to feel that pain deeply, just go into it fully and it disappears. Try. No, rather relax into it, don't try in a sense of strain and effort.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:43:09 PM »
Dear Anand,

Practicing Praanayama helps with this regard. It is said that Breath is the bridge or the connecting points for mind and body. If you notice whenever some imbalance occurs in our body, our breath too would have become irregular, either shallow or inconsistent. By regular practice of Praanayama, this body mind complex can be balanced.

With the kind of quality food we get to consume today, surely our bodies lack proper nutrients and nourishment. Its proven fact that even fresh vegetables these days are less nourishing. Our environment, air, they are all in very bad condition and our daily life tensions, etc... all these form the reasons for the imbalance in our bodies.

Our scriptures give several ways by which we can nourish our bodies so that we can steady and focus more on the Self. Some personally experienced ways are as follows -

• Regular Good habits such as walking, excercising
  • Regular practice of Yogasanas or atleast practice of basic Praanayama
  • Regular chanting of shlokas/mantras, doing Japa - The vibrations of Shlokas and Mantras give us 'ojas' or energy, 'shakti' energy by which our cells get energy through vibration currents. Just by listening attentively to Vedas properly chanted with Swaras, one gets nourished and can also feel this.
  • Avoiding bad company. Energy currents of people are the worst and the topmost in this list that affects. Being with negatively charged people constantly our energies are sucked and we feel depressed and get headaches. Hence we must develop our defenses by charging ourselves spiritually. The above mentioned ways are the best along with having the company of Good people with good intentions who are not depressed themselves. When we are positive then we can be a dynamo for these negative people but not before we are strong ourselves
  • By taking guided medical supplements - Is a very hard truth but is the fact of the days of our times.
  • Visiting places of extreme calmness and powerfully charged places such as temples, churches and Masjids.
  • Apart from prostrating to God in our Puja Room, doing Namaskarams to respected elders gives us massive energy nourishments.
  • Best instant short yoga practice is Surya Namaskara
  • Standing below the rising Sun and enjoy Sun bathing. The atmosphere is filled with Ozone air.
  • Being/spending time with Plants and trees. We can have silent satsang even with Plants and Tress too. Look at a beautiful flower and silently converse with it. Listen to the air and the leaves play in joy
  • If you love pets, spend time with your pets
  • Kids are best and very strong in relieving us from our negativity. Playing with kids is another great way.
  • Sometimes we have to recognize that too much intellectual dabbling on spirituality leads to very High Level of negativity. Hence we have to always begin with short and sweet practices of doing Meditation for 10 minutes everyday and gradually increase the time. we have to pass all 10 standards of education before we can join college.
  • Letting go of things, forgiving people for their mistakes is very powerful and results are immediate too. But letting go and forgiving should be completely pure from the heart and not just by word.
  • and Off course looking at the graceful eyes of Bhagavan. Just look at his portrait for as long as He intends you to. He is ever nourishing. He is verily Parvati Devi who gave milk to Jnana Sambandhar.
  • Watch your breath (don't do Pranayama) just watching ones breath helps in neutralizing our breath pattern and corrects the imbalances in our body.
  • Surrender. Don't think too much. Nothing is in our hands. In times of despair either physically or mentally, remember these words of Bhagavan says, "The Ordainer controls the fate of souls in accordance with their prarabdhakarma (destiny to be worked out in this life, resulting from the balance-sheet of actions in past lives). Whatever is destined not to happen will not happen, try as you may. Whatever is destined to happen will happen, do what you may to prevent it. This is certain. The best course, therefore, is to remain silent."
  • And be aware that the headache is temporary, it shall pass, let it happen, just see and see it pass too. You are the eternal witness and not the witnessed pain.
  • Breath out numerous number of Sigh loudly. Breath our Heavy by letting go. When you do so, you will breath out with a sound such as "Uh..." It helps.
  • Be silent and in calm locations. move out of the vicinity of a TV and bad people.
  • We have to learn to love ourselves. Most of us so self deprived of ourselves with very lowe Self esteem. We should accept ourselves exactly the way we are.
  • letting go of our past and memories and focusing in the present
  • Seeking the guidance of a wise person when we know we dont have a solution for some situation
  • Homams recharge us our house and our people completely from negativity. Popolar Homas such as Ganapathy Homams can bring change with amazing results
  • Doing Giri Pradakshinam at Arunachala is great remedy

Hope these helps. This is what I usually try and practice to do.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 05:02:32 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 05:49:10 PM »
Dear Anand,

Do the headaches occurs while doing vichara?

If they do it could be because you are "concentrating" too much, or trying to focalise your attention with too much intensity which bring about a pressure in the head, a fullness and headaches.

Concentrating is the mind trying to find something, while vichara is BEING.  Vichara is a "BEING" not a "DOING".

Does a man need to concentrate to know that he is a man?
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »
excellent suggestions nagaraj garu.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »
Dear Nagaraj Sir,
Can you elaborate on
"5.By taking guided medical supplements - Is a very hard truth but is the fact of the days of our
 times".
Subramian sir in a post for a different but related subject  has given some pointers.
Are you referring to some good ayurvedic or Siddha medicines for stress.
Regards,
Anand
Sundaram Anand

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 11:45:43 AM »
Dear Anand

For me this sort of mental disturbances are a day to day affair.

After my sadhana intensified in the past few months,  my every nerve to the brain is givine me strain.  Sometimes headache comes,  sometimes   over heat and sometimes the very idea of this body provokes anger.

I greatly get disturbed by all wordly people and all the high-fi things like costly cars,  luxury hotels etc.

For example in my office,  from time to time,  senior foreign executives visit.  Those times, our Indian drivers behave too much,  open the door and do all sort of over adulation to their clients.

The servants behave as if their rich masters are coming directly from heaven and do all sort of salutations and busy in shielding them from wind and cold.

My colleagues go to costly hotels in name of company entertainment & party and wast moeny like 50,0000 in one Restaurant sitting.

People in buses always hear the newly found sinful song 'why this kola veri'
It is nowadays the taraka mantra or the anthem for the wordly people. 

All these things irritates me to a lot.   

Still I have not learnt the maturity to ignore all these.

To live in the middle of these people and carry our sadhana is sometimes becoming very tough.

My ever nerve is straining nowadays,  I find everything around me to be hypocritic products and myself I find worthless.

Every sound other than that of God or slokas is givine me mental disturbance.  Every laugh on wordly affairs creates a irritation.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »
dear krishna ,
Related to your post, one thing which I am resorting to and which I find very helpful is the power of prayer.
Every day I pray to Bhagavan and Arunachala that the day should go smoothly without any hastles or mental disturbance.
I also extend this prayer habit during the course of the day, during moments of   tension,which are  inevitable in the course of the daily  interactions related to our work life.
And I have found that this prayer really works in giving the desired peace.
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand