Author Topic: self enquiry and work  (Read 5183 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
self enquiry and work
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:00:37 PM »
Dear friends,
With whatever I know of self enquiry , the odd times when I momentarily practice,I practice self enquiry by concentrating  on the right side of the chest and holding onto the I thought ,with eyes closed and bringing back focus to the'Í' thought when the mind tries to divert to other thoughts.
Bhagavan had mentioned that with practice self enquiry could be done at work concurrrent with work and with better performance at work.
Can somone elaborate on  what modification , I can make in the way I practice ,since obviously at work,I cannot keep my eyes closed.
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Jewell

• Love,always love and only love
    • View Profile
Re: self enquiry and work
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 02:01:31 AM »
Dear Anand,

When you do self inquiry,you should concentrate on the sense i am,on that presence,your very being. Not on the right site of the chests. Sri Ramana Maharhi himself said to his disciple Annamalai Swami,that to concentrate on the right side of the chest,or any other place in the body,is wrong. Becouse,we know that we are not the body,and that kind of practice will not lead anywhere. You should only concentrate on the I am. Like Ramana said, You only know that you exist,that everything which is percieved,is not you! So,only hold that sense of i am,or just i,and see.
 Also,i heard many to say that is better to keep your eyes open. But,in my case that was differend now,and in the begining. Before,i did it with eyes closed,coz it help me to concentrate better. Find what is better for you,and most natural,and hold that I like anything else. :)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »

Dear Ananda Sundaram,

As Jewel said, the self attention is the most important thing than anything else.
Sri Bhagavan, of course, suggested to concentrate on the right side of the chest
for beginners. There are some verses in Sad Darsanam - Supplement also to
this effect. But as one progresses,  this concentration on a particular side of the
chest is not at all necessary.  Again, keeping eyes open or closed, -- these depend
on your attitude and level of concentration. If eyes are closed,. the mind takes up
the role of all five senses and acts more vigorously.  Thoughts run riot.  If the
eyes are kept open, then senses will be distracted.  It all depends on one's own
preference of practice.

Arunachala Siva,     

amiatall

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 04:13:03 PM »
Dear friends,
With whatever I know of self enquiry , the odd times when I momentarily practice,I practice self enquiry by concentrating  on the right side of the chest and holding onto the I thought ,with eyes closed and bringing back focus to the'Í' thought when the mind tries to divert to other thoughts.
Bhagavan had mentioned that with practice self enquiry could be done at work concurrrent with work and with better performance at work.
Can somone elaborate on  what modification , I can make in the way I practice ,since obviously at work,I cannot keep my eyes closed.
Regards,
Anand.

Hi Anand,

It does not matter whether your eyes are closed or open. As you do any work, observe, as thoughts arise ask to whom? Question is needed only to bring back running mind and fix it in the source, so even the question will fall away sometime. Do not concentrate on 'I' thought, any thought should be followed to the source and not to be concentrated upon.
Attention just dissolves in itself if concentration is not used, because concentration is only on objects, but here we don't need that kind of concentration, it is something different than common object-concentration, it has different quality to it.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:51:37 PM »
Thanks.Just one clarification so that my understanding of your post is correct.From your post, I understand that whenever any extraneous thoughts unrelated to the work on hand arise, I should ask myself ''who am I'',to bring back attention to the I thought .
At other times, when such thoughts do not arise, I should be concentrating on doing what the work demands.Is that right?
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

amiatall

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 04:19:13 PM »
Thanks.Just one clarification so that my understanding of your post is correct.From your post, I understand that whenever any extraneous thoughts unrelated to the work on hand arise, I should ask myself ''who am I'',to bring back attention to the I thought .
At other times, when such thoughts do not arise, I should be concentrating on doing what the work demands.Is that right?
Regards,
Anand.

Yes and No. If ANY thought arises you ask question thus bringing back attention. Work just gets done, no need to concentrate, just be yourself. In fact most of the time we don't need to think about work matters at all, we already know what needs to be done in relation to work, thoughts come up AFTER that knowing.
The meaning is that even if thoughts came about work, you ask to whom? and realize that this procedure does not interfere with your work at all. Are you with me? A thought "lake" comes, it came, you know it, now you asking "to whom?" and your attention gets diverted from thought wave, but it does not interfere with your work. You are just trying to figure out what is this 'I' to whom everything happens: work, day, night, sleep, dream, eating, walking - these things happen you don't interfere, you just trying to figure out to whom?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »

Dear Krishna,

Let thoughts come and go as amiatall said. You do not associate with it. Turn
your attention within and seek the Consciousness. Work does not oppose
Knowledge. Sri Bhagavan used to give an example of a cashier in the treasury
or bank. He handles crores of rupees of cash. He receives and he gives throughout
the day. Does he ever think that this cash is his.  No. At the same time, he works
without owning the cash. Like this do not own the thoughts, do not have any doership.
Then work and vichara can go without interfering with each other.

It is not my cash, it is not my thought.  It comes and it goes. I do not own either
the cash or thought. As Sri Bhagavan says in Who am I?: Let any number of thoughts
come, keep on killing them, i.e do not own them. Like soldiers from enemy fort,
they keep on coming. If you disown all these thoughts, the fort is yours.

Arunachala Siva.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 10:21:34 PM »
Thanks to AmiaTall and R Subramanian Sir.It  seems that what you are reiterating  that  the power within us will take care of all work and our only our efforts can be towards Vichara.
A question that arises is that most of the time we  do some something which we feel is good for us and which we feel is in accordance with Dharma.
The above acceptance seems to suggest surrender which we do not have the strength to do and hence are taking recourse to Vichara.
How then are we to act in some situations in life which seem to be like transition times when we have to take some decision.
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 03:12:55 PM »

Dear Anand,

Whether they are worldly karmas or dharmic karmas, like doing philanthropy or attending to some
temple work, or chanting  Gayatri, --  even these activities can be done with Vichara in the backdrop.
In fact, in my practice, I find Vichara more difficult than surrender. Surrender appears to me easier,
though Sri Bhagavan says, both are equally difficult, i.e. total surrender or self surrender and
Vichara are both require efforts and perseverance.

When you feed about 10 alms seekers in the Temple, you do it with the thought that it is
Sri Bhagavan who is using me as an instrument to do this. All the world's wealth is His
and it includes my wealth too. It is like pinching the jaggery Ganesa and giving that jaggery
bit to Ganesa as offering!

Arunachala Siva.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 10:09:13 AM »
Dear friends,
During weekends , I am able to introspect and practice for about 5-10 minutes, the method as mentioned by Sadhu Om in the ' The path of Sri RAmana part 1'.
However during the working days I find my mind very active especially on Mondays and here I try to meet every thought with a counterquestion 'to whom are these thoughts , to me and who am I '.In this way I am able to get some peace.
In fact , I have been following the above method for quite some years now (around 15 years intermittently) and I am not sure whether this method of meeting every thought with a counterquestion 'to whom are these thoughts , to me and who am I ' is óne of the recommended methods of self enquiry. One would expect to have reached atleast the state of thoughtlessness after so may years of this practice though done only when mind was very active during the day..This gives rise to my question as to whether   the method of of meeting every thought with a counterquestion 'to whom are these thoughts , to me and who am I ' should be continued .
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2011, 02:00:21 PM »

Dear Anand,

Instead of questioning to whom are these thoughts, turn your attention within. This is recommended
by Sri Bhagavan. The question-answer exercise did not help me too.

Arunachala Siva.