Author Topic: Which Chapter 26, Of Ribhu Gita ?  (Read 4686 times)

srkudai

Which Chapter 26, Of Ribhu Gita ?
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:33:15 PM »
Dear Subramanian & Friends,
      :) Bhagavan said that chanting or meditating on chapter 26 of Ribhu gita is equivalent to Samadhi.
Which chapter 26 was he talking about? Chapter 26 in original Sanskrit Text, as published by Dr. Lingeshwara Rao or chapter 26 in the tamil work ?

Can you please help me identify chapter 26 in the version of Dr. Lingeshwara Rao ?

Regards
Udai Shankar

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Which Chapter 26, Of Ribhu Gita ?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:43:15 PM »

Dear srkudai,

Sri Bhagavan referred to only Chapter 26 of  Tamizh Work of Ulaganatha Swamigal. I broke my head to finding the identical chapter in Sri Lingeswara Rao's book.  There is no identical chapter. However, Chapter 24 of LR's book gives the similar ideas/concepts.
The English translation of Nome and Dr. H. Ramamurthy follows Tamizh work.

Arunachala Siva.   

jacques franck

• View Profile
    • Om Tat Sat - Shrimad Bhagavad Gita
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 01:44:40 PM »
Hi,

The chapter 26 of the tamil version = chapter 29 of the Dr. Lingeshwara Rao

namaste

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:45:38 PM »

Dear visnave, srkudai,

The Chapter 29 of LR's version consists of 70 verses, much more than
the Tamizh version. But this chapter can also be treated something similar to Ch. 26 of Tamizh version but not identical.

Arunachala Siva.

arcsekar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »
Recently, purchased Ribu Gita written by Dr.Lingeswara Rao. My intention is to attain Samadhi by regularly reading  the specific  chapter recommended by Bhagavan.  I too was confused and found chapter 26 in this edition is different from the chapter 26 rendered in Tamil. After listening to the audio version of chapter 26 in the Ashram web site, I find that Chapter 29 of Lingeswara Rao matches well.

I endorse the view of Vaishnev that Chapter 29 of Lingeswara book conforms to the verses referred by Bhagavan. They deal with abidance in the Self,--   tanmayo  bava sarvada--and this what Bhagavan vociferously advocated.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 04:56:24 PM »
Dear arcsekar,

Read any chapter, any verse, but, even without the desire to attain Samadhi, Just read, for the sake of Self. Only then, the reading becomes fruitful. Because, unconsciously, the mind begins to build ideas on Samadhi. When we see very carefully and discern, there is really no attainment to Samadhi, for we are already that, there is really no attainment here.

It is basically unwrapping, loosening, dropping, freeing oneself. Samadhi is not an Avastha or a state, Only that which is constant, which is ever, present even now, that is Samadhi. Those experiences or Avasthas, or states that may result out of reading some verses is temporary, it is a state, avastha, therefore, read, just without any aim!

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

arcsekar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 07:18:25 PM »
Reading any verse in Ribu Gita is no doubt beneficial. Any verse in Ramayana is good; still Sundarakandam is given importance. When Bhagavan highlighted a particular chapter in Ribhu Gita,an average student like me is attracted towards it.In the relative sphere, there are milestones and an aspirant must be  focused  to elevate and reach certain level of progress.

Always harping that Self is a state of being and not becoming this or that is too abstract , self deception and condemnation of positive efforts.

This is my view, with due respect to Mr. Nagaraj.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 07:53:24 PM »
Dear arcsekar,

You shared your positive effort and views, and i shared my views & Together it results in a positive effort and this only leads to elevation, one cannot clap his hands with only one hand, we need two hands to clap! In the large context, there is no negative effort anywhere or any condemnation of any efforts or any self deception or not just a mere harping as you say!

How can one know, if any body is is self deception? How does one know if something is condemned? it is ones own mind in the end! That mind which concludes this or that, or this or that is self deception, or this or that  is condemnation, it is ones own mind, that needs to be enquired upon!

We are all in the journey, and everybody in this journey are travelling up to the summit, which ever way one goes to the goal - summit, there is only one way that is upwards and the destination is one and the same!

Every Sadhaka is in constant effort and is constantly aspiring to elevate oneself. That milestones need not be a specific pattern. The only milestone is the the effacement of ego!

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 08:18:31 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 07:20:48 AM »
Dear all,

I love to read the Tamizh version of Ulaganatha Swamigal. The 8 - line verses are simply
delightful. Ulaganatha Swamigal is the same as Bhikshu Sastrigal. He has also done
Tamizh Vivekachudani versification. Sri Bhagavan's prose rendering of Viveka Chudamani
is based on Sri Sankara's original Sanskrit.

There is a story about Tamizh Ribhu Gita.  Nataraja of Chidambaram is the ishta devata of
Ulaganatha Swamigal. However, he never mentioned about any God with form in the book.
Nataraja got angry (!!!) and made the saint poet go blind before completing the work.
Ulaganatha Swamigal regretted his mistake and added one verse towards the end of each
chapter of Ribhu Gita praising the cosmic dance of Nataraja.

Kobamil gunatthoi kuriyai enaik kola
Kurai en seithen Arunachala. (AAMM 25).

Arunachala Siva.