Author Topic: Ramana on Cannabis?  (Read 7468 times)

OmNamahShivaya

• View Profile
Ramana on Cannabis?
« on: November 19, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »
Namaste,

I hope not to offend anyone, but I was wondering if Ramana expressed any words about some Sadhus using Cannabis or just the general use of Cannabis in general?

Thanks

Om Namah Sivaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Ramana on Cannabis?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 07:09:22 AM »
Dear namahshivaya,

Cannabis or Ganja in Tamizh was used by many practitioners of Vichara as a "prop"
To silence the mind. But this was not recommended by Sri Bhagavan, though He
was Himself given Ganja once, when He was staying in Skandashramam, by a devotee.

Arunachala Siva.

OmNamahShivaya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 07:14:24 AM »
Namaste,

Thank you Subramanian. This is useful information. Would it be alright to do it outside of practice?

Om Namah Sivaya

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 11:03:19 AM »
Dear friend,

What do you mean by "outside the practice"?  Even then, will it not affect your mental
poise and give you sense of stupor or a false sense of elation?

When the priest says: do not covet other man's wife, is it to be followed only inside
the church and not in the outside the world?

Between Ganja and meagt, Sri Bhagavan felt that the former is outright bad and the latter,
since some of us are habituated right from young age, He permitted time for meat eaters
and only prescribed prohibition only within the Asramam precincts.

Arunachala Siva.

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 11:23:57 AM »
Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya!

Dear OmNamahShivaya,

Namaste,

Would it be alright to do it outside of practice?

It reminds me of a small story of a German Prince who was also an Arch Bishop. Once he abused  God in front of a farmer and the farmer was astonished to hear such words from a Bishop. Then the  Bishop tried to justify himself telling that he has spoken the words as a Prince and not as a Bishop. Then the farmer asked,
" OK My-lord, but what will be the fate of Arch Bishop when the prince goes to the Hell? "

What would be your state outside of practice?

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 04:27:21 PM »
Dear Sreeswaroop ji, nice smart anecdote :)

Dear OmNamahShivaya, how long can you depend on cannabis? when the day comes when you can no longer take the aid of cannabis, what will you do then?

When Bhagavan was given some some ganja and consumed it (knowingly or unknowingly) he remained the same, in the Nishta. There was no effect of the Ganja on him :D

Another similar instance was in the life of Sri Appaiah Dheekshitar, who voluntarily consumed a specific leaf whose effect makes the person insane. Sri Appaiah wanted to test his Nishta by consuming such a leaf and check if he still remained in the same Atma Nishta without losing awareness and give in to the effects of the leaf which causes insanity, and after consuming, Sri Appaiah was in the same Atma Nishta and he composed the famous Unmatta Panchakam which is his most famous work.

They have attained that state of exaltation without any aids. In the course of search for Self, one should practice "Ahimsa" - not cause harm to anyone at any cost. It also means, not to cause any harm to ones own body as well. We should care for our body with utmost love and not abuse our bodies with  alien substance for baser reasons of pleasure.

Salutations to Bhagavan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 04:43:34 PM »

Sadhu Vasvani sums up Sri Bhagavan' teachings as

Silence
Without understanding yourself, do not go for reforming the world.
Universal Love towards all beings.
Fearlessness.

Arunachala Siva.

OmNamahShivaya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 06:47:30 AM »
Namaste,

It is not necessary for me. I was only asking, because it has been used in my meditation in the past, but it is not that I attempt to do it everyday for some escape. I have many non-cannabis meditations. It is not the norm. This is good information nonetheless.

Om Namah Sivaya

Sreeswaroop

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »

Silence
Without understanding yourself, do not go for reforming the world.
Universal Love towards all beings.
Fearlessness.

Om Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya!

One can still combine third and fourth to - abiding in TRUTH. One will be fearless with love towards all.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2011, 11:03:24 AM »
Friends, I have a correction to make, the work which was written by Sri Appaish Dishikar upon consuming the poisonous leaves  was Unmatta-panchasati and not Unmatta Panchakam. error is regretted. It is also popularly known as Atmaarpana Stuti!

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 11:04:57 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 01:00:15 PM »
well said udai garu.

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 07:24:22 PM »
http://luthar.com/stories-about-ramana-maharshi-by-harsha-harsh-k-luthar-phd/

In this site there is a story which quotes Sri Ramana as saying:
“Eating this ganja is a very bad habit,”

I had read this statement a little over a year ago, but I still decided to smoke it when the opportunity came. First times didn't do much for me, but the last time I used it (which was probably the third time) was one of the most harrowing experiences that I have ever had. I have never felt as sick mentally before and I was in a panic. Fortunately I had done meditation so I could endure it. Maybe without it I would had gone into a psychosis. Should have listened to Bhagawan! : )

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 06:53:52 AM »
Dear Snow,

Thank you for posting your personal experience. It must be a 'warning' or 'caution' for
others.

Arunachala Siva.

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2011, 06:25:25 PM »
Dear Snow,
      :) Thanks for sharing that.

Basically there are two kinds of people:
1) who want to "Experience" more, more ecstasy, more fun, more sense pleasures, more indulgence, more achievements, more success, ... they are running after more and more.
2) Who want to drop all and resolve oneself as Bhagavan's feet. Enough of all these sense pleasures and sense enjoyments.

Spirituality is for Type 2 people. There are people who run after more and more "spiritual experiences" ... if they are running , it means they have not yet reached (2). These people are not really spiritual. They are merely thinking that they are spiritual. They are running after more and more experiences to elate their egos. One needs to look within and there are traits of (1), drop them and transform oneself into (2).
I tried to convince myself that smoking cannabis was going to bring out some kind of far out spiritual experience that would inspire me on the path of self-enquiry. But I wasn't really looking for peace and silence, but rather some kind colorful, special experience. So you are definately right.