Author Topic: How to practice while living in worldly life  (Read 2577 times)

incameet

• View Profile
How to practice while living in worldly life
« on: May 11, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »
I understand what you guys are saying about look within, be still, Ramana's self inquiry. Ramana also said you don't need to leave worldly life in order to do sadhana and get enlightened. But I find it is very difficult to do so. Working in Corporate America(I live in US) requires kissing a lot of ass even though you are not interested in being successful or moving up.  If you doesn't do that, most likely you will get a lot of punishment in return. That is what is happening to me.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: How to practice while living in worldly life
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 11:45:48 AM »

Dear icameet,

Keep on kissing the ass.  One day if your practice of self inquiry
results in self abidance, you will kick the ass and kick away the job
in America and come down to Tiruvannamalai. If you do not want to
practice self inquiry, there is no end to kissing the ass or licking the
boots. Even without kissing the ass, [my ass was only kissed by many many], I left the job as senior executive at the age of 50 and came home because I felt self inquiry is more important than the work station.  I had some money and that I find it sufficient for my
living up to 75 years.

Arunachala Siva.

incameet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

Do you mean I should give up everything and go to Tiruvannamalai now? Only thing really interests me is self-realization. I have no interest in most worldly stuff.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 01:36:07 PM »

Dear icameet,

No. I did not mean that.  You can do, say start with faith in Sri
Bhagavan, understanding His teachings, and then starting practicing
of self inquiry.  For unripe souls like us, it takes quite a long time. At the same time work-life cannot also be sacrificed. You have put up with those occupational hazards, grin with a smile, but do not leave the teachings of Sri Bhagavan.  Karmas are not antithesis to Jnana. Karmas [however bitter they may be], can be done, with practice of inquiry side by side.  A day will come, when you will have enough money to stop further working [for money] and on that day you can pack off and come away to a spiritual place, need not always be Tiruvannamalai, any place that is conducive to sadhana.  If you  continue to work to earn more pots of money, then you are doing at your peril.

Not all of us are Sri Bhagavan. He came to T'malai [after self realization and not before, only to ensure a solitary life] and He came with only Rs 3.00 on hand. But we all need money and also have to do spiritual practices. One can start such practices while in work life and then devote more time after kicking off the  job, say in 15 years. It took 20 years for me. But during this period, my practices started from 11th year of my office life. Yes. It is possible.

Arunachala Siva.             

amiatall

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 03:46:55 PM »
Dear incameet,

You not need to drop anything, reject anything or deny anything, just go about your business and gently ask "to whom all this come?", the answer may come "to me ofcourse". "well, who is this me?", "who am I?" and keep still. Abide in the 'I'. Follow it. The gap between "who am I?" questions will widen with time, the thoughts will slow down greatly and things will start happen by itself. The priority in the beginning is to quiet your mind and not concern about worldly things. The work is mental. Suppose you decide to go to caves and sit, but one thing you must remember, that wherever you go, you will take yourself with you. So, it does not matter where your body is actually. If you are at peace here, you will be at peace there, if you are angry here, you will be angry there etc.   

incameet

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 02:20:07 AM »
Probably I need to keep in mind that every thing in this life/world is bullshit or unreal and keep conflict or egoistic reactions to the minimum if necessary.  ???

amiatall

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 02:30:19 PM »
Keep in mind that you are not the mind that says these things about world.
Or keep in mind 'I am', but do it with all your heart in every situation.

As reactions come up, ask to whom it comes up? You want to wake up, not believe this or that... not change one believe with another...  all believes must go away.

If it appears to be hard to do, then try surrendering to your Deity, praying, repeating mantra. Anything that helps to quite your mind. When it settles down, true inquiry into ones nature can start.