Author Topic: Bhagavan's Self Inquiry  (Read 6446 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Bhagavan's Self Inquiry
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 01:31:41 PM »

Dear friend,

What is the purpose of self inquiry? To quell the mind permanently.
So, to start with, one should quell the mind at least for some periods. What I do is to chant Arunchala Siva.... It quells the mind for more time than the question - answer type.

Arunachala Siva.   

paul

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 12:46:34 AM »
Dear Ajuna16, in addition to the Song of the Poppadum, Bhagavan has also given to us:
Who Am I ? (Nan Yar ?)
The Teachings of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.

The following answer given to question 9 makes it clear how Self inquiry can be practised and it will lead us to that place – the Heart.

9. What is the path of inquiry for understanding the nature of the mind?

That which rises as ‘I’ in this body is the mind. If one inquires as to where in the body the thought ‘I’ rises first, one would discover that it rises in the heart. That is the place of the mind’s origin. Even if one thinks constantly ‘I’ ‘I’, one will be led to that place. Of all the thoughts that arise in the mind, the ‘I’ thought is the first. It is only after the rise of this that the other thoughts arise. It is after the appearance of the first personal pronoun that the second and third personal pronoun appear; without the first personal pronoun there will not be the second and third.

I hope it is helpful.

Arjuna16

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2011, 09:37:02 AM »
After re-reading the first 3 posts of this thread, self-enquiry seems clearer. Although this part is still not clear to me.
"when one learns to remain focused on this IS Buddhi or presense I am, or awareness, thoughts slow down......By intentionally identifying 'I' with its source, that is remaining as awareness."

Subramanian, I am confused about how to find the source of the thinker. Do we just hold our attention to the 'I' until the self is revealed? What I mean is, the question; "Who am I?" is not a mental excercise as pointed out by srkudai in the first few posts of this thread. He says that it is a reminder to turn attention to the subject of the thoughts. So what about the question; "Where does this I come from?" Is this also supposed to be some sort of awareness as well?

Let me know if my question is unclear and I will try to re-phrase it.

Arjuna

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2011, 10:58:53 AM »

Dear friend,

Holding on to the I-thought, as the practice matures,  leads you to the Source. Sri Bhagavan has said: It is like a dog scenting all the way to find its Master.  Sri Bhagavan also has said: Even if one remembers I, I, I,.... it will lead you to the source. [Who am I?]

Arunachala Siva.

amiatall

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 04:44:16 PM »
So we can make a brief how-to.

A how-to on self-inquiry and not only for beginners it is a must.

1 method.
As thoughts present themselves, ask "to whom do they come?" and folow the procedure i.e. "to me", "who am I?". There shouldn't be any answer after that basicly, if there is it means you are still on mental movement, thus repeat from beginning. Do it all day, no matter what you are doing and no matter what thoughts are coming, the procedure must be followed. This is not a meditation, you are fully awake while doing it.

2 method. This is very very strong practice, and I can assure you if you practice it at least for one day (totally whole day) you will transcend all your so called problems.
As you inhale say 'I', as you exhale say 'AM' (not loudly, in your mind). If mixed with inquiry it is a BOMB. In between, if thoughts starts intruding (and they will), just ask "to whom do they come?" and observe, keep still. After few moments go back to 'I' - 'AM' meditation.

3 method.
"Who am I?"
"I-I"
"I-I"
"I-I"
until thoughts starts appearently "wash away your practice". Then repeat again.

Remember, this does not confer realization, it takes your mind away from worldly problems as you call them. The idea is to transcend 'I' completely.
As months go by, you will notice that the space between "who am I" gets larger and larger and joy feels in your being.
The mind will get weaker and you will appearently go deeper and deeper... the rest you will discover yourself.
BUT YOU NEED TO PRACTICE IT. (this is i cannot stress enough, because nowadays new-age-mumbo-jumbos does not want to practice at all and go saying "i am consciousness" but when vicissitudes of life brings surprises somehow "i am consciousness" suddenly starts to have problems and it is quite funny... it is better to say "if i follow the 'I', consciousness will present itself. Affirmation is not a good path at all as per my view.)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2011, 04:57:02 PM »

Dear amiatall,

Very good recommendations.  I am sure one of them work for those who practice with great faith in Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

jacques franck

• View Profile
    • Om Tat Sat - Shrimad Bhagavad Gita
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »
Namaste

Is the source robert Adams?

http://www.robert-adams.info/

It is a very good translitaration of 4 years of satsang by Robert Adams  :D

Arjuna16

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 10:04:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies everybody. I feel like my understanding of what to do is getting better. So finding the source is not a mental analysis. Knowing this clears up much more of my confusion.

So do you mean that when the source is revealed, I should just be that, or rest in it? Sometimes I have put my attention onto the 'I'-sense, and after a while it started to dissolve, and then there is a strong wave of 'bliss' that starts to spread out. It sometimes feels like its pulling 'me' deep into it. This doesn't last too long though, and the more 'I' try to prolong it the faster it ends. The confusion I have been having is that I did not find it, it just revealed itself when the 'I'-sense started to dissolve. But Bhagavan always said to "find the source", so I thought that I was doing something wrong. Perhaps not?  :)

Arjuna

amiatall

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »
Namaste

Is the source robert Adams?

http://www.robert-adams.info/

It is a very good translitaration of 4 years of satsang by Robert Adams  :D

Dear vishnave,

not only.
It is a mixture of Sri Shankara, Sri Bhagavan Ramana Maharshi, Sri Nissargadatta Maharaj and Sri Robert Adams.
Nothing new under the sky. These methods have been discussed here many times.

The main suggestion is to practice.  ;)

amiatall

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 03:26:36 PM »
Dear srkudai,

Yes. What you are explaining is very true. My view for affirmation is that for new people it is essential to practice something which brings at least a bit of Vairagya. Otherwise it is fruitless.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »

Dear amiatall,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan says in the answer to Pillai's 26th question:

What is the difference between Nirasai [=Vairagya=non attachment]
and Jnana?

Sri Bhagavan: Nirasai itself is Jnanam.  Nirasai is one where the mind does not go after any things/objects. Jnanam is one where
no things/objects appear.  Both are same.

A total vairagya brings about Jnanam as if from a seamless pipe.

Arunachala Siva.   

Arjuna16

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 10:00:47 PM »
srkudai, do you mean that you will not "find" something "new" because there really is no doer of actions, and what is there is what we really are, and has always been there? (The self is the only reality).

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 12:24:23 AM by Arjuna16 »

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 10:08:53 AM »
very good discussion arjuna garu and udai garu.