Author Topic: Is Self Inquiry As taught by Bhagavan Enough ?  (Read 3412 times)

srkudai

Is Self Inquiry As taught by Bhagavan Enough ?
« on: May 03, 2011, 03:50:54 PM »
Well friends, we have this thread that goes to pages, with some wonderful information. Its titled "Self inquiry as taught by Bhagavan is enough".

I have a question. What is Self inquiry as taught by Bhagavan ? Let us all share our respective views on what Self inquiry is as per Bhagavan. Let us try to put it in our own words, leaving aside elaborate quotes. Because we can get those quotes from books, but here we have "seekers" who practise and have understood Self inquiry to a certain extent.

Also please feel free to politely contradict any views expressed here, if your understanding does not really agree with that.

So What is Self Inquiry as you understand it!! That is he question...

amiatall

Re: Is Self Inquiry As taught by Bhagavan Enough ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 06:26:01 PM »
Self inquiry - an investigation to ones own nature. Digging within.
"What is Self inquiry as tought by Bhagavan?". As tought by Bhagavan it is merely bringing attention to the source of I. Abiding in the I, following 'I' to its source until it merges and one becomes totally free. What should be mentioned that 'abiding in the I' is not concentrating on the I.

We may discuss different approaches to self investigation later, step by step.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:19:50 AM »
That might be because of Maya sir.

It was that maya which made maharshi viswamitra to fall into trap sir.

Hence sadhana in waking and dream states is suggested always sir.

amiatall

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »
"When "I" arises, one sees its source. It arises again and we see again. Why is it arising at all in the first place ?"

It doesn't. It appears to, but it doesn't. It does not even exist. It is like the mirage of water in a desert. Like the sky is blue.

We will approach various methods later on, after settling down with this question. Very good question for the start, since for some it may be the last stop and for others - the first step.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 06:00:36 PM »

Dear srkudai, amiatall,

Yes. It is the only step for some. For many others it can only be last
step.  Though Sri Bhagavan's central teachings were on Self Inquiry,
He did not under rate the other forms of bhakti, like worships, japas,
dhayana etc., 

In fact people like Annamalai Swami and Major Chadwick were rare
birds. But not all devotees. 

Sri Bhagavan while explaining to Sadhu Natananda, in Upadesa Manjari has said this:

Qn. 2: Can this path of enquiry be followed by all aspirants?

Sri Bhagavan: This is suitable only for ripe souls. The rest should follow different methods according to the state of their minds.

Part II - Abhyasa - Practice:

Qn: 3: What are the other methods?

They are stuti, japa, dhyana, yoga and jnana etc.,

Until this state of  tranquility of mind is firmly attained, the practice of unswerving abidance in the Self and keeping the mind unsoiled by various thoughts is essential for an aspirant.  Although the practices for achieving the strength of mind are numerous, all of them achieve the same end. For it can be seen that whoever concentrates his mind on any object, will, on the cessation of all mental concepts, ultimately remain merely as that object. This is called dhyana siddhi.... As the result is the same in either case, it is the duty of aspirants to practice continuously either of these methods till the goal is reached.

Arunachala Siva.           

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 07:55:54 PM »

Dear srkudai, Anil,

The thread of Anil started with Dr. Sarada asking Muruganar Swami,
whether self enquiry is enough keeping Sri Bhagavan as Guru.  Muruganar said: Yes. It is cent percent enough.....More than cent
percent....

Dr. Sarada being from Bangalore, [she is the daughter of Sri A.R.
Natarajan] I know her for some quite some time. She and her sister
and also her mother Smt. Sulochana Natarajan, untiringly work for
musical rendering of various works of Sri Bhagavan and Muruganar.  They also conduct dance classes, where in Sri Bhagavan's life is depicted as Natya Nataka, dance drama.  For Jayanti and Ardhana, they come to Asramam and give musical renderings. For this Aradhana of 30th Jan. 2011, I saw Smt. Sulochana Natarajan singing her own composition of a song on Sri Bhagavan.  So such ardent self inquirers also allot some time for such bhakti expositions. They are also running a monthly magazine called Ramana Way.

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 07:58:26 PM »

Dear Anil,

I have seen David Godman in the Asramam a number of times.  Invariably he comes on Tuesdays, I guess.  Once I saw him circumambulating the Samadhi of Sri Bhagavan innumerable times,
must be 108 times. So ardent self inquirers also give allowance for
such worships and pujas.

Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 02:19:08 PM »

Dear srkudai,

My view is [it is my experience too], that the vasanas within us are
quite strong and the mind also does not give up its hold easily.

I quote here what an Asramam devotee wrote in Mountain Path,
April - June 2007 issue. [Title: Vichara and the Turning Word]:

Now, the utter simplicity of the technique is probably also what makes it maddeningly abstruse, at least for the ones who are not
mature enough.  Sri Bhagavan tells us that the mind habitually thinks; it loves random thoughts and concepts, doubts and positions, and views. What it does not like is anything that prevents it from thinking least of all, unfathomable questions. This being the case, it is easy to see why the mind repels Vichara. It turns the mind back on itself, prohibiting it from worry and discriminate. Through questioning, Sri Bhagavan emphasizes, all these activities are brought to halt. This being so, the reason we resist Vichara is plainly and simply is this: IT IS EFFECTIVE. ......Vichara is a steep path -- a lot of ground is covered in a short distance......

All of you, who can get hold of this MP issue must read this article.
The author speaks about a turning word. The turning word may be an effective one or simply a word. But this helps someone who has faith in it. For me, the turning word, I think, is Arunachala Siva.

Arunachala Siva.         

amiatall

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 02:23:56 PM »
if it is only an appearance, why should you do anything about it ?

Because you believe and accept that it is real. You have not seen yet that it is mirage and does not exist.

(you - impersonally)

amiatall

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »
Dear Subramanian.R,

I am totally with you.
I remembered one thing Robert Adams said about vasanas, it was something like this: "if one wants 'travel' even faster, then somehow, one needs to drop the believe that there is deep rooted or strong vasanas, because it creates a job for one to overcome it and it will take centuries to do so."
Just focusing on pure practice is the key.

If for some reason, one lost faith, or is not devotee(d) ( one pointed on one practice and one guru), then one can visualize shiny bright light on the right side of the chest and in that light visualize favorite guru. I guarantee 100% that it will increase thousandfold devotedness, and things will start happen on their own accord.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
Dear sirs,

The "self enquiry" also sometimes becomes another vasanas. Is not necessary to have awarness while doing self enquiry otherwise this will also become like a
mantra or habit.

Ramanaduli

amiatall

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 04:17:04 PM »
Very true. Bhagavan used to say:

"The thought ‘Who am I?’ destroying all other thoughts, will itself finally be destroyed like the stick used for stirring the funeral pyre."

So we should not be concerned about whether 'who am I' is vasana or not, for it will leave one automatically without any effort. Of course, 'who am I' should not be looked as the mantra but as the vehicle and sincere inquiry into ones nature.

"As long as there are tendencies towards sense-objects in the mind, the enquiry ‘Who am I?’ is necessary. As and when thoughts rise, one should annihilate all of them through enquiry then and there in their very place of origin. Not attending to what-is-other (anya) is non-attachment (vairagya) or desirelessness (nirasa). Not leaving Self is knowledge (Jnana). In truth, these two (desirelessness and knowledge) are one and the same. Just as a pearl-diver, tying a stone to his waist, dives into the sea and takes the pearl lying at the bottom, so everyone, diving deep within himself with non-attachment, can attain the pearl of Self. If one resorts uninterruptedly to remembrance of one’s real nature (Swarupa- Smarana) until one attains Self, that alone will be sufficient."