Author Topic: Discussions On The Essence of Bhagavad Gita Topic  (Read 6590 times)

srkudai

Discussions On The Essence of Bhagavad Gita Topic
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:20:48 PM »
Friends,
     :) I have created a topic called the essence of bhagavad Gita.
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=6436.0
It is English explanation of BG with Sankara Bhasyam as taught by my Guruji. I have locked it coz I am just summarizing what Sri Tattvavidananda ji has taught in those pravachanams. Gita is a very important text and as i
mentioned there, it needs to be studied in the guidance of a guru. In the market there very few really good books on the Gita which discuss Sankara Bhasyam also. unfortunately many books that discuss gita talk total nonsense. So this effort of mine, to write the essence of Gita, is for all of you to benefit from it.

This thread is to initiate any discussions on this topic. Please feel free to discuss them here. I hope
these threads are found useful for the members.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:32:30 PM by srkudai »

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Discussions On The Essence of Bhagavad Gita Topic
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »

Dear srkudai,

Nice you are taking up a new project.  Sri Sankara starts the bhashyam only from 2nd chapter.  However, the first chapter
Arjuna vishada yogam is called a yogam. Here Arjuna is despondent,
is afraid to fight his cousins. This nervousness and despondency makes one to surrender to godhead since everything is in God's hands and he cannot help it by fearing it. Swami Chinmayananda calls it as Arjuna's anxiety neuorsis. And this is cured by Sri Krishna, by his counselling and teachings.

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 02:36:30 PM »
Dear Udai ji,

It is very nice  to see this topic in this forum. Each time, when we hear BG. it gives new meaning in the same chapter. So I am looking forward to see here.

Ramanaduli

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 12:10:16 PM »
Dear Udai ji,

I request you not to stop the thread. As you said, each guru explains what he understood. And listeners also take the meaning according to their understanding. But all say, that BG. is for every one and it  guides us in all situations. They read Shankara's bhashyam, but when they come to explain for others, it is
little bit get changed here and there.

with Bhagavan's grace it will be continued wioth out fail

Ramanaduli

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:22:51 AM »
Well said udai garu and always i really love your explanation always sir.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 11:50:07 AM »
Dear Udai ji,

So Krishna did not tell Arjuna to fight directly. Is it so? After listening to Krishna this is Arjuna's decision to fight. It means Arjuna understood who is he, what is his dharma so without any confusion he performed his duties. It is clear that after Krishna's upadesam, Arjuna got self realisation. Is not it?
A different type of explaination nicely explained here.

Ramanaduli

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 06:16:12 PM »
Dear Udai garu,

Inability of Krishna to enlighten Arjuna through his Gitateachings was mentioned by Bhagavan ramana himself:

Likewise, Arjuna, though he told Sri Krishna in the Gita ‘Delusion is destroyed and knowledge is imbibed,’ confesses later that he has forgotten the Lord’s teaching and requests Him to repeat it. Sri Krishna’s reiteration in reply is the Uttara Gita. (Sri Ramana Reminiscences, p. 52)

While all this might sound slightly blasphemous, it is a long and well-established position in Saivism that, when it comes to enlightening devotees, the human Guru is more effective and has more power than the gods themselves.

Source: http://sri-ramana-maharshi.blogspot.com/2011/05/tattuvaraya-and-sorupananda.html

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 04:32:25 PM »
Dear Udai ji,

Thank you very much for explaining nicely this post. Just now I asked one question in Anilkumar's posting why people are not geting realisation even though they are practicing. After posting I came to see your posting and got the answer. It is very correct. Having impure mind, if we practice the self enquiry, we never
get realisation. So at first people should clean their mind as it is said in Tatta bodha.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 05:48:57 PM »

Dear ramanaduli, prasanth,

Arjuna's despondency was removed by Sri Krishna's upadesam. He knew that Atma is eternal and only body is killed in war. But one should follow one's own dharma. For him, it was the expectations of a warrior. So he fought the battle. More than that, Arjuna did not realize the Self in consequence of Sri Krishna's teachings. In fact, the entire BG is over by 2nd chapter. But Arjuna needed 16 more chapters of Upadesam.  Of course, he understood Sri Krishna's mighty power in Viswarupa Darsna yogam.

After the war, when a brahmin told Sri Krishna that his nine children have already died immediately after their births, and his wife was expecting another child, Arjuna wanted to keep a fence of arrows to prevent death of the tenth child. He also stood as guard. The tenth child also died immediately after its birth.  He was fuming and fretting. Sri Krishna laughed at his foolishness. He then proceeded to Yama loka and told Yama to give back the children. Yama readily agreed and the children were shown to the brahmin and the brahmin understood the inevitability of death as per destiny. So he sent them back to Yama loka.

Arjuna did not realize the Atma Swarupam of Sri Krishna.  Many years later, when Sri Krishna and Arjuna were going for an evening walk after tea and biscuits, Arjuna told Sri Krishna: Please tell me BG again.  Sri Krishna said: It has already gone into your heart. My form [roopam] makes you believe that I am only a mighty person. You will understand my swarupam, when my roopam disdappears.

When Sri Krishna died and went back after the purpose of his avatara was over, Arjuna wept uncontrollably. Then slowly he understood: Sri Krishna is "my Swarupam. He is not a form outside me. I now realize Him in my Heart."

Nama roopas are hindrances to attainment of formless eternal Self, that is the Reality.

Arunachala Siva.                     

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 08:51:29 PM »
Dear  Subramaniyan ji,

Thank you very much for explaining. Now it is clear that everyone is swaroopam i.e. "Self" but the roopam which is created by mind is false one keeps us away from swaroopam.

Ramanaduli

amiatall

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 11:12:39 PM »
Having impure mind, if we practice the self enquiry, we never
get realisation. So at first people should clean their mind as it is said in Tatta bodha.

Practicing self-inquiry will not only lead to the realization, but at the same time will clean the mind of various tendencies and do the rest job needed.