Author Topic: The Essence of Bhagavad Gita  (Read 6327 times)

srkudai

The Essence of Bhagavad Gita
« on: April 30, 2011, 09:02:48 PM »
The Essence Of Bhagavad Gita

This is an attempt to understand the teachings of Bhagavad Gita. Its based upon Sri Adi Sankaracharya's Bhasya on Bhagavad Gita as explained by sri Tattvavidananda saraswathi [http://www.avgsatsang.org/hhstvs.html]

This is the Essence of bhagavad Gita, it does not contain the sanskrit verses and is a simple english explanation. However, I believe, a proper and serious student of Bhagavad Gita should study it properly, with bhasyam in Sanskrit. The reason i say this is, as Swami Tattvavidananda ji explained in his lectures, the verses in sanskrit are easy to remember and when a student remembers it in sanskrit, as a poem, it directly impacts him or her.

The purpose of this presentation is just to convey a properly written essence of the teaching. Bhagavad Gita is a very important text and its important to study it at the feet of a teacher. Sankaracharya starts his bhasyam by saying that there are many views prevalent, and he wanted to briefly explain the correct way of understanding Bhagavad Gita. This is a fact that remains true even today. There are innumerable explanations on Bhagavad Gita and many of them are inaccurate and incorrect ways of understanding the Teaching. The proof that they are incorrect is that the student is not transformed.

Sri Krishna starts the essential teaching from second chapter, the first few verses of this chapter are called ashoka upanishad. Meaning the teaching of no sorrow. So if a person has read Bhagavad Gita and understood it, there should not be sorrow. If the sorrow continues in one's life, it means either the student did not hear properly or the teacher did not present it correctly.

Anyways, the present attempt is to make this text available in english... i might skip many explanations from the Bhasyam but this remains a faithful and correct interpretation of Bhagavad Gita. There are far too many misinterpreted versions of Bhagavad Gita. I may not be able to really make justice to the original. Swamiji teaches with ample real life examples, which make his teaching similar to the way Vasishta taught Rama. Every concept is driven home with some real life examples which are very apt. I do not in any way propose to make a replica. This is just the essence, in my own words.

Since this is not my own explanation, i am locking this topic. The words are mine but ideas are from Sw. Tattvavidananda ji's teachings. A separate thread for discussions and comments on this is added and it is as below:
http://www.arunachala-ramana.org/forum/index.php?topic=6437.0

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 09:52:25 PM by srkudai »