Author Topic: When does Arunachala call you to visit him ?  (Read 6294 times)

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
When does Arunachala call you to visit him ?
« on: April 13, 2011, 07:17:37 PM »
Dear fellow Arunachala and Bhagavan  devotees,

I wanted to ask members some questions pertaining to visiting  Arunachala and will appreciate a pointwise feedback.I do hope these queries are of use to other devotees as well .

1.They say that Arunachala makes you reach him and he decides when the time is ripe including for subsequent visits .Can someone elaborate .

2.Bhagavan has also said that some are here destined to live here, some are taken away from  this place as per the will of Arunachala when  the time is appropriate etc .Here again can someone elaborate.

3.Thirdly he has also mentioned that eventually everyone has to come here .Again can some one elaborate on this .

4.Wouldnt it be a great loss if someone has an opportunity to come to Arunachala frequently and due to some reasons later like a transfer then looses out on this opportunity. Does Arunachala make up this loss of physcial proximity in some other way otherwise the devotee can be  expected to be disconsolate.Here again can someone elaborate.

5.We also some how manage to bring our family members(say for eg children or spouses)  to Arunachala so that they imbibe his grace but somehow they do not share our enthusiasm .How does Arunachala bestow his grace on such people.Does it materialise later say perhaps when  we are no longer around.Here again can someone elaborate.

Thanks and Regards,
Anand Sundaram.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: When does Arunachala call you to visit him ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »

Dear Anand Sundaram,

1. Right up to the year 2000, I was visiting with my father and my wife and my young son, the Asramam, mainly as a quick visit for a day, on our way to Chidambaram, Swamimalai and other pilgrim centers.

2. There was a big gap after the year 2000, due to my office problems, my health problems, my son studying outside Bangalore
etc., However I was going to Ramana Maharshi Center for Learning at
Bangalore [it was at that time in Sadasiva Nagar and I was living close by] to meet Sri A.R. Natarajan and he gave me some books on Sri Bhagavan.  I read them, but only a few things went into mind, since my problems were plenty.

3. In the year 2007-08, when the problems were behind me, I could concentrate on reading Sri Bhagavan's books, reminiscences about Him, Talks, Day by Day, Letters etc., in depth and realized that here is a Person who can show me the way.

4. From 2008, I have been going to Tiruvannamalai exclusively
to stay for three or four days, eating in the Asramam and visiting only the Big Temple other than Asramam.  I made it a point to visit two to three times in a year. Bought more books, spoke to people there who helped me to understand Him still better.

5. My wife did not read many books on Sri Bhagavan. But she
had an experience in the first visit itself.  When we stopped the car and when I went out to pick up 2 cups of coffee, a young boy of about 20 year old, entered the car through driver's seat and looked at my wife.  He dabbled with some CDs on the dashboard. My wife got afraid. He was also trying to operate the steering wheel. Then, he said:  I do not want anything. I have come to check up. He left within a minute.  When I came back with her cup of coffee, she looked bewildered and horripilated.  She said that the boy looked exactly like Sri Bhagavan, in the famous first photo, with deep penetrating eyes, and huge hair. 

6. From that time, she and I are visiting the Asramam two or three times a year. Our last visit was on 26-29th Jan 2011.  My son is yet to develop faith and interest in Sri Bhagavan and further he is in Hongkong. So we do not disturb him to join us for darshan at any time.

Arunachala Siva.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 08:48:30 PM »
Dear Sir,
Thanks for sharing your personal experiences relatd to the points raised.
1.CAn you also taken an additioinal pain and give a pointwise feedback in more general terms based on your own  experiences related ,based on what you have read and perhaps based on what some others may have shared with you in the light of their own experiences.
2.CAn you also then based on the general feedback elaborate on the possible esoteric conclusions that can be so derived which will give hope to one for all.
Regards,
Anand Sundaram .
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »

Dear Anand Sundaram,

1. Yes. It is Sri Bhagavan who called me first as a visitor, and then as
a devotee.  It is He who called me again and again.

2. I have no idea of staying in Tiruvannamalai right now. Whether I would settle down there, He only knows.

3. He will not drive away anyone from Arunachala, unless one's ego
finds it difficult to stay there, because, Arunachala Mahatmyam says
that those whose egos are diabolic cannot stay there for ever.

4. There are some experiences for me but they are too personal to divulge.

Arunachala Siva. 

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 09:48:02 PM »
dear fellow Ramana devotees,

Based on feedback I have received and my own take on the subject I wanted to share with what I feel about whatever i have asked. Kindly excuse me and bear with me but I am sure our joint love of Annamaliyar will make you forgive me.regards,anand.

1.They say that Arunachala makes you reach him and he decides when the time is ripe including for subsequent visits .Can someone elaborate .
   It is recharging your batteries.But Arunachala takes over the tasking of recharging your batteries- you do not have to keep a log of the same.i.e Arunachala calls you when you feel sometimes down and out and like a true father he will give you necessary succour.

2.Bhagavan has also said that some are here destined to live here, some are taken away from  this place as per the will of Arunachala when  the time is appropriate etc .Here again can someone elaborate.
I feel that Arunachala will keep you nearby till you learn the lesson that the whole universe is nothing  but Annamalaiyar.

3.Thirdly he has also mentioned that eventually everyone has to come here .Again can some one elaborate on this .
 I feel that if we had fervently prayedfor physical proximity to Arunachala   then either in our lifetime or in a subtle body Arunachala will bring us to him .This will be until we realise again that the whole universe is Arunachala i.e become one with the universal self.

4.Wouldnt it be a great loss if someone has an opportunity to come to Arunachala frequently and due to some reasons later like a transfer then loosesurther who  out on this opportunity. Does Arunachala make up this loss of physcial proximity in some other way otherwise the devotee can be  expected to be disconsolate.Here again can someone elaborate.
I feel that Arunachala will make the bond on the pyschic plane  even stronger or in some other way fathomable only to one who experiences his grace.

5.We also some how manage to bring our family members(say for eg children or spouses)  to Arunachala so that they imbibe his grace but somehow they do not share our enthusiasm .How does Arunachala bestow his grace on such people.Does it materialise later say perhaps when  we are no longer around.Here again can someone elaborate.
here i feel that we have done our job and the CEO will do his.How he does is beyond our level?Further didnt the CEO also make us do our job?

Sundaram Anand

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:44:36 PM »
Dear devotees,

At my young age of 6 years, there was a remkarable visision was shared by me and another kid andaal at pradosha timings.

Until this day, when we both meet, the first thing we re-collect is this vision.   

Now after this incident,  my parents scolded me and told me that it is utter illusion.  Andaal also got the same reply from her parents.   

To this day it is very very clear in both of our memory. 

After that for 20 full years, I forgot all about it and in some phase of my life embraced only vaishanavism neglecting Shiva . I visited arunachala for first time in between in 2002 without a least devotion to the hill just like a picnic.  I passed some casual (but not harmful) comments on Maharishee also that time.

But suddenly in 2010 when Arunachala started working, it was all very fast,  within 3 months things in my personal life turned drastically and I was drawn to Ramana Maharishee and Arunachala with a full force and vigour.  All other theories of religion ,  all other doubts vanished within 3 months. 

From that day I visisted in June 2010,  I have beein going to the hill every month from Bangalore.

I get somewhat excited when I reach there,  like a loving father He welcomes me.  But sometimes while I am in the Hill,  some worst form of desires will come to the surface.  But I will feel truly at home.

Once I told my parents that we will settle down at Arunachala.  My mother surprisingly told that she will visit the place, if peaceful she will decide.

We both went on a visit to the temple, but she told that she is not willing to stay here permanently as it lacked facilities and streets are narrow.

I immediately felt that I should not push her nor myself to stay in this place, because I intuitively felt it is not in my hands really.

I told her, that is ok and fine.

It is 100% true that you cannot stay in Arunachala if it is not written in your scripts.  If you still persist and do intenese aspiration to stay in Arunachala, it will create huge amount of punyas and tapas that will give another birth there either in physical body or subtle body.

But no matter if one stays there or not,  the grace of Arunachala,  the mental thinking of Arunachala and the Japa of Arunachala is all common for everybody, in all places. No one is restircted to that.

And Arunachala as Ishwara only want that.   Because the praradbhaa has already been decided in this life,  please dont press Ishwara to stay in Arunachala or try to introduce Arunachala to your family.  Both are not possible.

That is why Ramana discouraged Annamalai Swami from his desire to pursue a solitary cave to meditate.

So any place in general and Arunachala in particular -- please dont develop this aspiration to stay.    But at the same time wherever you stay no prarabdha can prevent you for metnal contact and the Heart contact which is more and more beneficial.

There is one more thing to mention --  it is very very hard to stay in Arunachala alone without moving anywhere and do sadhana.   Very rare souls like Cindy , Maria and other devotees of Mathru Sri Sarada does this in current day but it is very rare.

Mind will get choked.   So even if someone gets a good luck of staying permanently in Arunachala, he may consider occasionally go out to other sacred places, tanks and worship there thinking of Arunachala.

S S Cohen once felt some rigidity and tamasic state of mind in Arunachala -- so he went elsewhere and then came back.

Madhava Swami was another example but his case is very extreme.

Nowadays whichever Shiva temple I visit -- I think of Arunachala.

Also one more thing-- it is not so nice to compare arunachala shiva mantra with other mantras like om nama shivaya or with other sacred places like Kaasi.

Because everything is really Arunachala, every stone is Arunachala and he only Pervades in all mantras.

Bhagavan also said that sins done in Arunachala are also very bad and very potentful.
That is a warning for the few local villagers who slaughter cows within the radius mentioned by Nandi Bhagavan.

Regards,
Krishna

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »

Dear friend,

Nice post.  One cannot stay in Arunachala unless Sri Bhagavan
wills it.  If all the world's population is converging in Arunachala,
where is the place there?  However, Sri Bhagavan has said:
If you look at it from where it is visible or even think of it. you will
get sayujyam.  At best, we can visit a couple of times in a year, and
always contemplate on Him, when we are away. Sadhana is equally
important. Self inquiry or self surrender should go hand in hand
with visiting the Asramam and contemplating on Him.

Even to become a Ramana bhakta, we should have had some merits.
Is it not?  Many people who live in T'malai do not even visit
 Asramam even once in a month.

As Sri Bhagavan Himself said:  Many people want to come. Only
only a few are called. And still a fewer are chosen.

Arunachala Siva.   

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:25:44 PM »

To Subramaniam Sir and other senior devotees.
To be honest  to all , I wish to go atleast once in a month to Thiruannamalai (I stay in Chennai ) and wish to buy a plot and ultimately settle in Thiruannamalai.
But going once a month seems dificult since my children are attached and I am afraid of making grand plans of buying a plot since Bhagavan also advised against the same.
But desire for both persists since for me Arunachala is God and I cannot deny the peace there.
Where do I go from here?
Regards,Anand
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 02:47:28 PM »

Dear Ananda Sundaram,

To think and contemplate on Arunachala, to visit Arunachala as frequently
as possible etc., can be done somewhat easily.  But to live in Arunachala
is a different proposition, where the world bondages come in the way.
E.g. My wife may not be as eager as me to stay in Arunachala, since it
is a smaller town. Then comes children's education. Then comes the
conditions of an old father and an old mother, who may need some special
medical treatment.  We ourselves may need, when we get past 50 some
special medical attention.  In my case, my only child and son, is 29
years old, married and lives in HK.. He is telling me that they are able to
come to see us only once in six months, and that too for a week's time.
He says that after reaching Bangalore by flight, he has to spend one
day to reach Tiruvannamalai and so also for return journey, one day
extra.  Like, this there may be many problems.  Without any serious efforts,
to live in Arunachala, leave it to Sri Bhagavan. He will decide what is best
for us.

Arunachala Siva.             

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 02:41:15 PM »
With reference to the same topic when someone remarked that Agastya Muni also visited Thiruvannamalai ,Bhagavan remarked that everyone has to come here at the end.
Was it the self that Bhagavan referred to when he said this ,or did he mean that we may either in the body or in a subtle body do our last remaining  sadhana in Thiruvannamalai.
regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 03:04:05 PM »

I do not know about Sage Agasthya. But when Mother came to do tapas
and attain half of Siva's body, she stayed in Sage Gautama's cottage
near the Hill.  This is called Adi Annamalai. Perhaps other Sages like
Agasthya might have come only in some other form like light, a dog etc.,
Sri Bhagavan could identify them, because He is the Self.

Arunachala Mahatmyam also lists some rishis who have  visited
Arunachala.

Arunachala Siva.       

ksksat27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 07:14:34 PM »
Dear Anand,

I like all your questions --  I tried to answer in the past for some of them. However I did not receive any reply from  you.

Still assuming,  it may be of some help, I reply to this question as well:

If you take me,  my marriage bondage were just now destroyed once and for all.

But generally I have more desires and lust.  With such a overwhelming ego, I somehow visit Annamalai once a month from Bangalore. 

I spend more time on saradamma house,  ramasramam and the holy tree inside the temple.

These are my favorite spots in Annamalai.

What I find there is, staying in Arunachala will be very very tough for people like me.  Unlike Subramaniam sir, I thought I will never care for medical attention and go & settle there in late 40s of my age.

But what I feel nowadays is, I am not the fit candidate to stay in Arunachala.  I don t want to force myself.  This time when I went , a foreign lady near the gates of Ramasramam was conversing with a local auto driver in a familiar and strange gestures that denoted some sort of attachment she has made with these local people.  Obviously this is not the purpose for which she came here initially.

A famous western person who even now discovered and explored many inner paths and running a wordpress.com website, is also posting articles related to local villager's animal sacrifice festivals ,  local villager's family functions, their visits to them etc.   I definitely believe this is also a form of unwanted distraction even though not as bad as the former I quoted.

This I really fear very much.  Arunachala is fire hill.  If we desire something there, it will come out to be true.  We have to be very very careful.  Never know anytime our ego will erupt like a valcano.

Secondly if prarabdhaa to stay in Arunachala  is not there, it will unnecessarily create a friction between fate and free will.

But these are only for weak minded and low level devotees like me,  who has to stay away from a distance and be respectful, due to excessive past vasanas.

If your devotion is really really going to withstand anything and everything, that strength will make your permanent stay successful. 

If we have the least attachment,  it will definitely pull down our legs.

The story of those whose prarabdha lies in Arunachala is very different -- some of those local villagers even though they are very lustful and speaks bad words,  I believe they have done already great tapas and have landed into final row of births.  Annamalai will take care of them .

But with us who want to artificially go and stay, I dont know any way to find the prarabdhaa -- may be a year stay will reveal if it is due to prarabdhaa or our  free will, we have come there.

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 07:51:02 PM »
dear ksksat27,
Thanks. Instead of developing attachment to a place, I am now cultivating the feeling of devotion to Ramana which transcends place  and since Ramana and Arunachala are one and the same.
In any interaction , I try to remember Bhagavan's face and somehow there is some  peace .I have now left it to Bhagavan and Arunachala to decide whether I shall have the good fortune of being in Thiruvannamalai either in the body or in some subtle form at some point in my spiritual evolution , if at all.
Many thanks for the kind words .
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 08:21:13 PM »
Dear ksksat27,
Actually above is not to be mistaken that  I consider Arunachala as localised to Thiruvannamalai.Arunachala is the manifestation of the self that brings devotees closer to it physically  or otherwise as part of their spiritual purification.
But I am slowly trying to reconcile with the fact that having a strong desire to stay there is not warranted and in this context Bhagavan  working as a soothing  balm
I also had this issue whether I had Bhakti for Bhagavan as much as for Arunachala and I have now discovered obviously by virtue of the fact that both are synonymous, that I have equal devotion for Bhagavan.This has come as a comforting thought .It is somewhat like having a father figure who will accept you despite all your follies and will always be with you through the vicissitudes of life.I am trying to contemplate on Bhagavan like that and I am also feeling that Bhagavan is a vibrant presence - maybe going to the extent of saying that it is a concession from Brahman that there will be some beings like Bhagavan,Shirdi Sai Baba who will always be there for the suffering humanity as their original manifestations except not being there physically, and definitely available to all that invoke them.
I hope to sustain this Bhakti and also make some progress in self enquiry.
Regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand

Anand

• Anand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2011, 09:36:23 PM »
Dear ksksat27,
Through the posts of kind people like you and other senior members like our Subramanian Sir  , I am trying to develop what is a more appropriate form of Bhakti  indicated vide above 2 posts , related to the original question of staying in Thiruvannamalai it is clear that it can happen only if is in our Prarabhda.
Now how can we conclude that our Prarabhda is conducive to staying in Thiruvannamalai?.
If some set of linked  circumstances seem to have developed without our active influence which is conducive to staying in Thiruvannnamalai and which were totally unexpected and perhaps unimaginable (suggesting some kind of divine hand), then we can perhaps construe that it is our destiny to stay there and definitely we should pursue that .
Hence with respect to your post and in a certain sense an advice for which of course I am least qualified  , I would like to say that , even though some of our follies seem to be getting magnified in Thiruvannamalai, if other circumstances like no obligations to near and dear ones or  there is no pending duty involving our presence in some other place ,then such fortunate ones should definitely not give up the idea of living in Thiruvannamalai.In a certain sense they  will be working against Prarabha if at all there is something like that.
In my case , I definitely cannot identify such set of linked circumstances except for one unexpected event which brought me physically closer to Thiruvannamalai.(I was transferred from Chennai to Mumbai)
Hence with my present duties and obligations , I have actively decided to pursue the earlier indicated Sadhana only .
regards,
Anand.
Sundaram Anand