Author Topic: how our food becomes prasad  (Read 4134 times)

ramanaduli

• View Profile
how our food becomes prasad
« on: April 12, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »
At lunch a visitor from Nellore asked the Master for a tiny bit of food (prasad) from His dish.

Maharshi.: Eat without thinking of the ego. Then what you eat becomes Bhagavan’s prasad .

After lunch the Master continued humorously: “If I had given you one morsel from my plate, each one would ask for a morsel too. What will be left for me if I distribute the whole plate to others? So you see that it is not devotion. There is no significance in eating morsel from my plate. Be a true devotee.”

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: how our food becomes prasad
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 06:23:07 PM »

Dear Ramanaduli,

The real prasad to guru or god is submitting not merely the delicacies and cooked rice with ghee but also submitting the ego. 
If God takes and consumes all the food we will not submit or offer food to God from next day.  It is due to our basket ball like ego.

But happened in the case of Nambi Andar Nambi in Tirunavalur. His father beat him, for lying, saying that  he had in fact taken the food himself and God does not take food.  Nambi said : "NO.
Pilaiyar took it, when I submitted."  The father went next day and hid behind a pillar to see what would happen. Pillaiyar extended his trunk and took the food submitted by Nambi! 
The father prostrated before his son and said: You are a divine child
and you are born to some work for Siva canons.  It is he who expanded the brief Tiruthondar Thohai of Sundarmurty and made it a larger poem as Tiruthondar Tiruvandhati.  These two books became the source material for Periya Puranam, by Sekkizhar.

Nambi has also written some poems on Vinayaka.  These appear in
11th canon.  Tirunavalur Pillaiyar Tiruvirattai Mani Maalai etc.,

Arunachala Siva.

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 06:49:22 PM »
Dear sir,

thanks for giving another story of Nambi Ander. Some people say, the offering shows, like thanks giving. Without God's grace the food is not possible to get it, so first we should offer and eat. iSometimes, while offering also, ego interferes like, some poor people offer whatever they can, on the other hand rich people show their richness in the plate with lots of ladoos, and dry fruits. Seeing all prasad God is standing with a beautifull smile on His face.

Above all as you said, at first we should submit our ego. This is very important for seekers.

Ramanaduli

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 07:26:25 PM »
Dear Udai ji,

Thank you very much for throwing light on "surrender".  Yes. When everything is His, where and how we can surrender or offer anything.

They say KARTHA BOKTHA JANARDHANA,

Ramanaduli

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:31:54 PM »
Friends,

So many instances where bhagavan has really tried to bring to focus on diving inside and dealing with the nerve centre - the ego, rather than following customs and habits blindly.

Annamalai swamigal was a legendry example of how he used to wait for bhagavan's left over leaf plate and seize it! He has eaten from bhagavan's plate, he had drunk the water bhagavan washed his hands from...etc etc... all out of bhakti, devotion and really an uncontrollable longing for his guru!!

What bhagavan has said in relation to food, can also be applied to our daily life. If we were to get up in the morning and offer our day to bhagavan and tell bhagavan - 'Bhagavan, whatever i do today, will be for you' - it really would change our outlook for the day drastically!! Because all that we do during the day will be without the ego that 'I' am doing it. It wil be more like an offering or a service to bhagavan himself. This is in a way a good method/sadhana to flush out the ego from our lives. And there is no need to worry, because things will happen, situations will be born in such a way that we will be able to accomplish each task with utmost precision, sincerity and success! All because we started in his name!

I have seen that people who have volunteered to work in ramanasramam have this attitude. They have the bhava of service and surrender which is why we would never see them fatigued, irritable or lethargic. I have seen ashram cooks and workers..and seriously i bow to them. Their energy year after year, day after day, inspite of working under extreme heat in the kitchen is unbelievable!

Ramarpamastu

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 11:47:24 AM »

Dear SLakshmi,

I have seen in the dining hall many such ardent devotees, who live to
serve Sri Bhagavan's devotees.  Three people, I notice every time
and they are most liked by me.

The first is Sekhar.  He only rings the bell and allows people inside.
He supplies then water and replaces the torn leaves placed to devotees, if any. He always says Arunachalam, Arunachalam, water,
Arunachalam Arunachalam, water....

The second one is probably a Japanese lady.  I am not sure.
She picks up the used leaves, after food, collects them in a bucket and leaves them in the garbage drum.  She wears, nowadays, sari,
and applies kumkum on her forehead.  Initially, about two years
back, she was wearing pyjama and brooming the ground between
the Temples and the cowshed.

The third one is a short person in ochre robe.  He always smiles
and smiles at devotees.  He serves sambhar or even rice.  He is
smiling always, as if it is his birth right.  The Smiling Swami, I used to call him.

The gates of liberation are wide open only for these people. 
They also serve who stand and wait [and surrender totally], says
the Bible.

Arunachala Siva.   

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:25:43 PM »
Dear Subramaniyan ji,

So far I have not got the opportunity to have food in ashramam. After cooking the food do they follow any rituals before serving the food.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 07:41:38 PM »

As far as I know there are no rituals.  Perhaps they may do some small puja inside the kitchen to Annapoorani.  I am not sure.  Only
on Fridays, they make hand pound rice [red rice] cooked, since
Mother Azhagamma was eating towards the end of her life in the body, hand pound rice.  This is called Amma Sadham, Mother's Food!
This cooked hand pound rice, is taken on a plate and mixed with ghee and submitted as Naivedya to Matrubhuteswara Temple. And such cooked hand pound rice are served on Fridays.  This Amma Sadham is also liked by devotees, for a change.

During Sri Bhagavan's time, He used to sit at right angles to both brahmin and non brahmin rows and after observing that everyone is served, He will just nod His head, to commence eating.  The place where Sri Bhagavan was sitting is in the Main Hall, where there is a photo of Sri Bhagavan, sitting in front of a plate leaf with all items served.  Nowadays, devotees while entering the dining hall, go to that picture and touch it and show their respects and then go to find their places.

During Navaratri days and Malaya Paksham, they do not serve onions.

Arunachala Siva.       

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 08:07:26 PM »
Dear Subramaniyan ji,

Thank you very much for this informations.

Ramanaduli

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 04:48:11 PM »
Subramanian sir,

That japanese lady's name is shunya. I remember shekar sir. A very nice genial person. One more person who serves and is doing yomen service is a young person by the name srinivasan. Once he told me about bhagavan's anugraham in his life. He has completely surrendered to bhagavan and has been serving with devotion.

What can we say. I can only pray that bhagavan, if not in this birth, atleast let me of some assistance in my next birth in the ashram..

The reason also why ashram kitchen is always flourishing like kamadhenu is because of mother azhagammal. She was the one who started the agni in the kitchen for the first time when it all began. It all started from skandasramam and now, because of her kataksham, we are partaking, surviving, thriving on abandance!

Also, the kitchen never ceases to amaze me! every day they come up with menus which can give any establishment a run for their money. The menu is very simple yet very varied and nourishing.

I came back from my trip to ramansramam in march and shall be posting  my experiences very soon...

Ramanarpamastu

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »

Dear SLakshmi,

Whenever devotees go to Asramam and come back, their experiences are different and still each experience is a feast to read.  Please write your experiences day by day. 

Kunju Swami used to say: Amma moottina aduppu, i.e the cooking fire started by Mother Azhagamma. Earlier all the guys and Sri Bhagavan were eating cold rice but after Mother Azhagamma  came, hot cooked food was served to all the devotees of Sri Bhagavan and also to Him in Skandasramam. She is veritable Annapooranai, and Mother. 

Of course, the cooking style has been changed over a period of time. No more firewoods. Huge vessels which serve as cookers are used and gas cylinders are used to make fire.  But the taste of delicacies remain the same.  In the morning, invariably they prepare rice, sambhar, rasam and butter milk, with one or two curries and sometimes papads.  In the evening either dhal-less sambhar [what Tamizhians call it as Vatha Kozhambu or rasam, with one curry. For people who have to eat only tiffin at night, sometimes dosas and plantain fruits are availabe along with buttermilk.  On festival days, they serve Payasam or some sweets.

My wife used to make fun of me., She would say: You are coming to Asramam only to taste food.  I used to reply: Yes. It is my Mother's
food and therefore is delicious. Even your preparations are not as tasty as Asramam food. In Tamizh there is a saying,

Thaayodu aRu suvai pom,
Thanthaiyodu kalvi pom....

After mother, one's tasty food is gone, 
After father, one's jnanam/scholarship is gone...

But even after my biological mother and father are gone,
Mother Azhagamma gives me tasty food and my Father
Sri Bhagavan, gives me Atma Vichara Jnanam.

Matrubhuteswara, You are my Mother,
Ramaneswara Mahalingam, You are my Father.

Arunachala Siva.