Author Topic: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)  (Read 301821 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)
« Reply #750 on: November 16, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
Q: Which is better, to practice meditation or to study spiritual books like the Upanishads?

M: It is entirely a matter of temperament. If you find that meditation suits you and helps to attain progress, then go on with it. Other people find that studying books suits them better than meditation. Different people must have different paths, it is a matter of individual taste and temperament

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 19, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »
M: Personal example and personal instruction are the most helpful aids on the path, while practice is better than books.

When reading a book, while your eyes are following the lines, your heart should be in the One.

The guru is both an internal and an external signpost, whereas books are only external signposts to the path. As an internal one, the guru is an active force and in a sense your own higher Self.

(To one who was fond of reading)

M: That which you seek is inside Yourself. The books them selves are outside. Then why look in the wrong direction by studying them?

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 20, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
The Ego

The root of all thoughts is ego (ahamkara).

The ego pertains to all waking activities, the consciousness, the intellect. In deep sleep where is the '"I?" The intellect is still, the body is still, and yet the Self is there. It is the waking activities that veil the real Self by making the ego -- the false self -- appear as the real Self.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 20, 2012, 03:33:36 PM »
Q: Which is better, to practice meditation or to study spiritual books like the Upanishads?

M: It is entirely a matter of temperament. If you find that meditation suits you and helps to attain progress, then go on with it. Other people find that studying books suits them better than meditation. Different people must have different paths, it is a matter of individual taste and temperament

I feel the problem is not much in studying the books but in "Understanding" what those books convey . Right now I am reading a book called "How to  read a book "  by Mr Mortimer  J Adler :) and only after I came across this book, I realized how mush I missed out in the art of Reading . This book talks about difference between reading for information and reading for Understanding . Reading with Variable speed , different approaches whiles reading books of Science , Economics , Philosophy , Politics , History , Biography , Religion , Spirituality etc Of course here books means not just novels ,works of fiction etc but books written by people who are experts in their respective fields . Anyway better late than ever I feel  :)
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 20, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »
yes agree sir.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 20, 2012, 06:13:04 PM »
Dear Atmavichar100,

Spiritual Books can be studied to a limited extent covering bhakti and jnana. There is no need to read
books unlimitedly. If one is young, one can read novels and non fiction to some extent as for a change. Otherwise one
need not read many many spiritual books. It is of no use. Sri Bhagavan says in Who am I? : If all books speak only about
mano nigraha, one need not read books to a large extent.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 20, 2012, 06:18:36 PM »
Dear Atmavichar 100,

Saint Tayumanavar says:

My guru told me to see 'realize' with grace, I however tried to see through my knowledge of books. I found only darkness.
I did not even understand me. 

அருளால் எவையும்பார் என்றான் - அத்தை
      அறியாதே சுட்டிஎன் அறிவாலே பார்த்தேன்
இருளான பொருள்கண்ட தல்லால்-கண்ட
      என்னையுங் கண்டிலன் என்னேடி தோழி - சங்கர 13.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 21, 2012, 01:58:05 AM »
The Ego (contd)

To say 'I am not the body' but 'I am the Self ' is still not correct. There is no thought of 'I' in true Being.

The personality (antahkarana) is a medium. It is what we call the sukshuma (subtle body) and acts as a medium between the body and the Self. It can turn to the body or to the Self, merging into either.

atmavichar100

• View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 21, 2012, 06:45:22 AM »
Dear Atmavichar100,

Spiritual Books can be studied to a limited extent covering bhakti and jnana. There is no need to read
books unlimitedly. If one is young, one can read novels and non fiction to some extent as for a change. Otherwise one
need not read many many spiritual books.
It is of no use. Sri Bhagavan says in Who am I? : If all books speak only about
mano nigraha, one need not read books to a large extent.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramaniam Sir

I was here referring to General book reading and not for spiritual awakening . The book that I was referring to "How to read a book" ,teaches reading book as an art and science which we were never at all taught .We were taught just to join the words and read but never how to get involved in a book and draw the wisdom of the same . This need not be applied to fiction / story books but to Other books written by authors who are expert in the field of Literature ,Science , History , Politics ,Religion ,Philosophy etc . They have nothing to do with Atma Vichara and I am aware of that and I was talking with respect to Secular Knowledge enrichment .

Coming to Atma Vichara :

I feel for a  mature seeker , nothing much is required . Even in the traditional Advaita Path ,I remember one Traditional Teacher of Classical Advaita Saying that though traditionally one needs to study Bhagavad Gita , 10 Upanishads and Brahma Sutra , yet for a mature seeker a simple small Upanishad like Keno Upansihad is enough to give clarity and he can go away after getting his answer from that Upansihad and he need not spend time reading all the other texts .
My take is simple :It does not matter what you read or what you do not read - have you got the answer that you are searching for ? Has it given you clarity or are you still continuing to search for answers ? I feel each Individual must answer this for himself .

Om Peace
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 06:58:43 AM by atmavichar100 »
However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them? - Buddha

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 21, 2012, 09:53:42 AM »
Dear atmavichar100,

I agree. After all questioning, there comes a stage, where Who am I? becomes an answerless question.  Then 'idam' disappears
and 'tat' appears which is unanalyzable.

Arunachala Siva.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 21, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
I agree. After all questioning, there comes a stage, where Who am I? becomes an answerless question.  Then 'idam' disappears
and 'tat' appears which is unanalyzable.

Even the one that remains to see the answer-less question merges, there is neither question nor answer, just Self Presence, swa-prakAsha - Self Illuminating, which is both the drik and drishya - seer and seen.

As Bhagavan as said, "I saw the seer disappearing and That alone which stands for ever. No thought arose to say "I saw". How then could the thought arise to say "I did not see?" Who has the power to explain all this in words, when even You (as Dakshinamurti) conveyed this of yore in silence only?"

nAnudiyAdulla nilai, nAm aduvAyulla nilai - 'That’ we are, when ‘I’ has not arisen.

As jnyAnEshwar says, the question and answer, that is knowledge and ignorance die together -

Both the husband
And the wife lose their lives
When each cuts off the other’s head.

knowledge too does not remain, like the campher analogy, burns itself out and leaves absolutely no trace of anything.

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 22, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
The Ego (contd)

Let us discover if all thoughts can be traced to one thought as their base of operations. Do you not see that the thought or idea of "I" -- the idea of personality -- is that root thought? The "I"-thought is not pure: it is contaminated by association with the body and senses. See to whom the trouble is, then the other thoughts will cease.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 24, 2012, 01:12:09 AM »
Q: Yes, but how to do it, that is the whole problem?

M: Think, "I-I-I" and hold onto that one thought to the exclusion of all others.

The ego has its source in the Self and is not separate from it. Hence, the ego must be retraced in order for it to merge in its source. The core of the ego is called the Heart.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 27, 2012, 01:30:40 AM »
Q: From where does the ego arise?

M: Soul, mind, ego are mere words. There are no true entities of the kind. Consciousness is the only truth.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 27, 2012, 01:39:09 AM »
Q: Are ego and the Self the same?

M: Self can be without the ego, but the ego cannot be without the Self. Egos are like bubbles in the ocean. Impurities and worldly attachments affect only the ego; the Self remains pure and unaffected. When the individual goes, the desires also go.