Author Topic: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)  (Read 319998 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)
« Reply #675 on: October 05, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
Mental activity ceases when Self-Inquiry is answered. Even if you are thinking about God, it is still an activity and must be given up. The one who practices vichara (inquiry) merges in God and then ceases to think about Him.

Intellect is a tool of the Self, which uses it for measuring diversity. It is not outside the Self. How could there be manifestations of intellect if the seed did not exist?

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 05, 2012, 04:02:47 PM »
Dear Tushnim,

I agree. But why we all are not like Annamalai Swami. It is because thoughts do come, or we grab the thoughts. Now to say
that anything that is mind and body is not I - requires a lot of practice? Is it not? Otherwise, if thoughts could be ignored stating
that anything that is concerned with mind and body, is the best situation.

Take for example Sri Bhagavan's terminal illness. Even with a stomach pain due to indigestion, we all cry, look for tablets, go
to doctor, complain to wife that the food was not good etc., etc., Whereas Sri Bhagavan took it with ease the terminal cancer
pain that was excruciating.

The one difficulty in reading Sri Bhagavan or Annamalai Swami is that we think WE CAN ALSO BE LIKE THAT. IT IS NOT SO.
It comes with practice, dispassion, detachment with body and mind. That is why most of us need continuous efforts, perseverance,.       
detachment, and dispassion.

Saint Tiru Navukkarasar came with a severe colic pain from Jain Math to his place Tiruvadigai. His sister told him to go and
report to Siva. He went and cried and applied vibhuti. The pain had gone. This story shows the grace part of God.

Either develop dispassion or seek God's Grace.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 05, 2012, 04:16:34 PM »
Dear Tushnim,

Distancing our mind from thoughts, is what you said.  This is the most difficult part. Tell me, touch your heart, are you
like Annamalai Swami?

Arunachala Siva.     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 05, 2012, 05:25:26 PM »
Dear Tushnim,

I am not trying to argue with you. What I am trying to convey is that to remain in thoughtless awareness is the most
difficult proposition, and it is one of Maya's sports. Only Maya - Suddha Maya - grace should help us, along with our
own dispassion and detachment. One of Maya's sports is to pull us into thoughts. She is the one who causes everything
in this world, thirst, hunger, sleep, anger, lust, greed, jealousy etc., All these come out of our thoughts. 

To overcome this only, rishis have prescribed sravana (listening to the guru's words), manana (mentally reciting these teachings),
nididhyasana (contemplation) etc., If everyone could remain in thoughtless state, egoless state, in a state of Awareness,
then there is no need for prescriptions. 

If no one in the world is having headache, then Saridon and other paracetamol tablets cannot find their place in medical shops.

Arunachala Siva.       

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 08, 2012, 01:05:28 PM »
Q: How can the rebellious mind be brought under control?

M: Either seek its source so that it may disappear, or surrender so that it may be struck down.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 08, 2012, 03:26:17 PM »
Dear prasanth,

Nice.  This is in nutshell Sri Bhagavan's twin upadesa. Self Inquiry and Total Surrender to God.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 09, 2012, 12:40:00 PM »
Q: How can I get peace?

M: Peace is the natural state. The mind obstructs the innate peace. Investigate the mind and it will disappear; only you will remain. So the question is one of outlook. You perceive all. See yourself and all will be known. Now you have lost hold of yourself and go about doubting other things.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 10, 2012, 12:45:12 PM »
Q: How can I get rid of the mind?

M: Is it the mind that wants to kill itself? The mind cannot kill itself. So your business is to find the real nature of the mind. Then you will find there is no mind. When the Self is discovered the mind ceases to exist. Abiding in the Self, one need not worry about the mind.

Vladimir

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 10, 2012, 03:48:58 PM »
Excellent.
Abide as I AM...
but more importantly inquire what takes us away from "I AM"
:)

Namaste Tushnim.Asanam!

The Self only can take "us" away from ourselves. Otherwise we have to admit there is something else, exept for the Self. But it is not so. The Self only exists, so called "we" do not. There is not another energy sourse exept for the Self, so any movements of so called "us" towards the Self and away from It come from I AM only.

Vladimir

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 10, 2012, 06:57:30 PM »
Dear Vladimir,
       :) if you say "Self takes us away" then it means you are saying Self does an action! While Self is actionless and motionless ! and if I am also Self, then I too am moving!
Self is motionless and changeless !
So :) what changes, as always, is a upadhi.
and upadhi is mithya.

Dear Tushnim.Asanam,

Of course, the Self is motionless and changeless. I ment any action comes from the Self only and there's no other energy resourse for ANY action, whether an action seems good or bad, right or wrong for an individual. So what takes "us" away from the Self also comes from the Self only, and there's no reason to investigate what exactly such an action is. It's quite enough to see the origin of that "taking away" :) action.

Vladimir

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 10, 2012, 07:08:01 PM »
Dear Tushnim.Asanam,  :)
There's nothing different from the Self. When so called "I' was born, the illusion of motion started. When this "I" dies, the illusion will also go away. The Self remains unchengeble, whether the knowledge of "I" exists or not

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 11, 2012, 12:31:56 PM »
M: You now want to go somewhere else and from there you will want to go to another place. At this rate there could be no end to your travels. You do not realize that it is your mind that drives you in this manner. First control that, and you will be happy wherever you are. It is my impression that Vivekananda has somewhere told the story of a man trying to bury his shadow, and finding that over every sod of earth he had dug up, the shadow kept on appearing over the top; the shadow could never be buried! It is the same if you try and bury your thoughts. One must therefore attempt to get to the very bottom of that from which thought springs, and root it out along with mind and desires.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 12, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »
M: So long as false identification persists, doubts will persist too; questions will arise, there will be no end to them. Doubts will cease only when the non-self is eliminated and that will result in realization. There will be no one there to doubt or ask. All these doubts should be solved within. No amount of words will satisfy. Hold onto the thinker; when the thinker is not held, the objects appear and doubts arise.

What is it that sees? The physical eyes? No. It is the mind. When the mind looks through the eyes, then it sees; when it withdraws, it sees nothing.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 15, 2012, 01:51:04 AM »
M: That which is beyond the ego, is the Consciousness, the Self. In sleep, the mind becomes neutral, and is not destroyed. That which becomes neutral (laya) reappears. But the mind which is destroyed can never reappear. The aim must be to destroy it and not sink into laya (dissolution). Laya happens in the peace of meditation, but it is not enough. The destruction of the mind is recognizing it as not being apart from the Self. Even now the mind is not. Recognize this.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 15, 2012, 11:52:01 AM »
Dear prasanth,

Yes. This is what Sri Bhagavan said precisely in Upadesa Saram, Verse 13:

Absorption is of two sorts;
Submergence and destruction.
Mind submerged rises again;
Dead, it revives no more.

Arunachala Siva.