Author Topic: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)  (Read 319992 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)
« Reply #405 on: February 08, 2012, 10:08:16 AM »
Work

You may carry on with your government work and you may continue to live the married life in the world as before. You may assume the stage which transcends all stages, only do not forget the One. Keep your mind on That all the time, whatever you happen to be doing.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 09, 2012, 10:09:19 AM »
Q: How is work to be done by an aspirant?

M: Without identification as the actor (or doer of the work). For instance, when you were in Paris, you did not know you would come here, or have the intention to do so. You see how you are acting regardless of your own intentions? In Chapter 3 verse 4 of the Bhagavad Gita, it says that a person cannot remain without acting (doing). The purpose of one's birth will be fulfilled automatically, by itself, whether you will it or not.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 10, 2012, 10:04:46 AM »
Q: I have no interest in business as I am afraid it will affect my yoga practice.

M: No, it wont. Your viewpoint will change, as it says in the Gita (Chapter 2). You will regard business in the light of a mere dream, but that will not affect it, for you will go on attending to it as if it were serious.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 10, 2012, 03:44:59 PM »
Dear prasanth,

Sri Bhagavan used to give the example of a bank cashier. He counts thousands of rupees, and at the same nothing is his.
Yet he does the work with great vigilance. One should do work in the office with great vigilance but not thinking that this
is all mine and I am doing the work.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 13, 2012, 10:00:22 AM »
Q: The difficulty is to be in the thoughtless state and attend to duties.

M: Let the thoughtless state be of itself. Do not think of it as pertaining to yourself. When you walk, you take steps involuntarily. Let your other actions happen in the same way. Gradually concentration will become pleasant and easy and you will be in that state whether attending to business or whether you sit expressly for meditation. Business will be all the easier for you when your mind is steadied and strengthened by concentration.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 13, 2012, 10:16:04 AM »
We think too much, that is the main problem and more than that, we judge our thinking much more, that makes it worse!
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: February 14, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »
As the Maharshi was going down the hill, some sweepers were at their work. One of them stopped and was about to prostrate before him. The Maharshi spoke to them.

M: To engage in your duty is the true namaskar (homage; or prostration before God or Guru). To perform one's duty carefully is the greatest service to God.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 15, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »
Q: How to reconcile work with meditation?

M: Who is the worker? Let him who works ask the question. You are always the Self, not the mind. It is the mind which raises these questions. Work always goes along in the presence of the Self. Work is no hindrance to realization. It is the mistaken identity with the worker that is the trouble. Get rid of the false identity. Activities go on automatically every day. Know that the mind prompting them is but a phantom proceeding from the Self. Why do you think that you are active? The activities are not your own; they are God's.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: February 16, 2012, 09:59:58 AM »
Q: They say that effort will lead to blankness of mind and work will not be possible.

M: Go first to that blankness and then tell me.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: February 16, 2012, 01:52:40 PM »
Dear prasanth,

Yes. This blankness is a tiny time of void which one has to put up with, to experience the Self thereafter which is full of bliss.
This is also mentioned by the disciple to the guru in Vivekachudamani. Nochur Venkataraman says that all Vedanta sravanam
is only to overcome this blankness or void.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: February 17, 2012, 09:59:00 AM »
Q: How can my mind be still if I have to use it more than other people? I want to go into solitude and renounce my work as a headmaster.

M: No. You can stay where you are and go on with work. What is the undercurrent which gives life to the mind and enables it to do all this work? It's the Self. So, that is the real source of your activity. Simply become aware of it during your work and do not forget it. Contemplate it in the background of your mind even while you are working. To do that, do NOT hurry! Take your time, keep the remembrance of your real nature alive, even while working, and avoid haste, which causes you to forget. Be deliberate. Practice meditation to still the mind and cause it to become aware of its true relationship to the Self, which supports it. Do not imagine it is you who are doing the work. Think that it is the underlying current that is doing it. Identify yourself with this current. If you work unhurriedly, recollectedly, your work or service need not be a hindrance.

swayam

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: February 18, 2012, 06:26:06 AM »
Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

Wow !! what a profound answer.
... Be delebarate....

Dear Prashanth, can you pl share the book and page numbers from which you are quoting these dialy quotes.

Om Namo Bhagavate Sri Ramanaya

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:46 PM »
Dear Swayam,

I am registered to a ramana maharshi based spiritual organisation based in US and they send me these quotes sir.

I am not sure whether they are maintaining any archive for these daily quotes.

I will enquire and let you know andi.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
The Maharshi compared the spokes of a wheel, which are all contained within the same circle, whether they are thick or thin, to the intellectual work contained within the circle of the Self.

In the Bhagavad Gita, Krishna told Arjuna to be fixed in the Self and to act according to his nature, without the thought of a doer, and that then the results of his actions would not affect him. Thus abidance in the Self is the sum of the Gita's teaching. Even if it is interpreted as duty and action, it means to act as the tool of a higher power.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: February 21, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »
Q: How can we reconcile realization with wage-earning activities?

M: Actions are not a cause of bondage. Bondage is only the false notion that "1" am acting. Reject such thoughts but let the body and senses play their roles unimpeded by your interference.