Author Topic: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)  (Read 322414 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)
« Reply #825 on: February 14, 2013, 12:27:49 PM »
Q: Why is it that we remember dreams when awake, but not the reverse?

M: You are wrong. You are yourself in the dream and identify yourself as the same as the one now speaking.

Q: But we do not know that we are dreaming, whereas in waking we do.

M: The dream is a combination of waking with deep sleep. It is due to the samskaras (conditioned tendencies) of the waking state; hence we remember dreams. Samskaras are not found in dreams, so we are not aware that we are dreaming. Still, everyone recollects strange perplexities in dreams when one wonders if one is awake or dreaming. One may even argue that one is awake, but only once we are really awake will we find it was all only a dream.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #826 on: February 14, 2013, 11:51:49 PM »
Q: Is there any real distinction between dream and waking?

M: Only an apparent one, not a real one. The dream is for one who says that he is awake. Both are unreal from the absolute viewpoint.

The ego arises when you wake up from sleep. In sleep you do not say that you are sleeping; you say it only when you wake up. But you are still there. You were not concerned with the body when asleep, so you can continue to be unconcerned.

In the waking state, ego identified itself with the physical body, and in dream, with the subtle mind. At that time the perceptions are also subtle.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #827 on: February 18, 2013, 12:50:20 AM »
Q: What is the difference between fainting and sleep?

M: Sleep is sudden and overpowers the person forcibly. A faint is slower and there is a tingle of resistance to it. Realization is possible in a faint and impossible in sleep.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #828 on: February 18, 2013, 11:55:22 PM »
Q: Is it possible to be conscious without thought?

M: Yes. There is only one Consciousness. In sleep there is no "I." The "I"-thought arises on waking and then the world appears. Where was this "I" in sleep? Was it there or not? It must have been there, yet not in the way you feel now. The present is only the "I"-thought, whereas the sleeping "I" is the real "I." That subsists throughout. That is Consciousness. If that is known, you will see that it is beyond thoughts. Thoughts can be like other activities, not disturbing the supreme Consciousness.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #829 on: February 20, 2013, 12:34:02 AM »
Q: On Inquiry into the origin of thoughts, there is a perception of "I," but it does not satisfy me.

M: Quite right. The perception of "I" is associated with a form, maybe the body. There should be nothing associated with the pure Self. The Self is the unassociated pure Reality, in whose light the body, the ego, etc, shine. On stilling all thoughts, the pure Consciousness remains.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 21, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »
M: At the time of waking up from sleep and before becoming aware of the world, there is that pure "I-I." Hold onto it without sleeping, and without allowing thoughts to possess you. If That is held firm, it does not matter even if the world is seen; the seer will remain unaffected by the phenomena.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 21, 2013, 10:59:58 PM »
M: If there were not the activities of waking-thoughts and dream-thoughts, there would not be the corresponding worlds, i.e., no perception of them. In deep sleep there are no such activities, and the world does not then exist for us.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: February 25, 2013, 01:55:35 AM »
M: In dreamless sleep there is no world, no ego, and no unhappiness, but the Self remains. In the waking state there are all these, and there is (also) the Self. One has only to remove the transitory happenings in order to realize the ever-present beatitude of the Self (that underlies all the happenings in the waking state). Your nature is Bliss. Find that on which all the rest are superimposed and you will then remain as the pure Self.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:32 PM »
A woman wanted to renounce the world after the death of her son.

M: Recall the state of sleep. Were you aware of anything happening? If the son or the world were real, wouldn't they be present with you in sleep? You cannot deny your existence in sleep, nor can you deny that you were happy there. Yet you are the same person now speaking and raising doubts.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 27, 2013, 01:01:27 AM »
You say you are not happy. But you were happy in sleep. What has transpired in the meantime that the happiness of sleep has broken down? It is the ego. And that arises with the waking state. There was no ego in sleep. The birth of the ego is called the birth of the person. There is no other birth. Whatever is born is bound to die. Kill the ego! There is no fear of death for that which is already dead. The Self remains after the death of the ego. That is Bliss that is immortality.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 28, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »
Q: How do we sleep and awaken?

M: Just as at nightfall the hen crows and the chicks hide in her wings, the hen then roosts in the nest with the chicks under her protection. In the dawn, the chicks come out and so does the hen. In the same way, the mother symbolizes the ego, which collects all the thoughts and goes to sleep. At sunrise, they emerge again. Thus, when the ego displays itself it does so with all its components; when it sinks everything disappears with it.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 01, 2013, 12:14:23 PM »
Q: Is it the body that goes to sleep when tired?

M: But does the body sleep or wake up? You yourself said before that the mind is quiet in sleep. The three states are of the mind. The Self is always uncontaminated. It is the substance running through all these three states. The waking state passes away, "I am" remains; the dream-state passes away, "I am" remains; the sleep state passes away, "I am" remains; they repeat; still I AM.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: March 04, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »
M: The (three) states are like pictures moving on the screen in a cinema show. They do not affect the screen. Similarly here: I am (is) unaffected though these states come and go. As for the body, are you aware of it in sleep? Without knowing the body to be there, how can it be said to exist in sleep? The sense of body is a thought, the thought is of the mind, the mind rises after the "I"-thought; the "I"-thought is the root-thought. If that is held the other thoughts will disappear. There will then be no body, no mind, not even the ego, only the Self in its purity.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 05, 2013, 01:14:37 PM »
You who slept, are also now awake. There was no unhappiness in your sleep, whereas it is present now. What is it that has happened now, that this difference is experienced? There was no "I"-thought in your sleep, whereas it is present now. The true "I" is not apparent and the false "I" is parading. This false "I" is the obstacle to your right knowledge. Find out from where this false "I" arises. It will disappear. You will be only what you are -- i.e. absolute Being. Search for the source of the "I"-thought. That is all one has to do. The Universe is on account of the "I"-thought. If that ends, misery will also end.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 06, 2013, 12:37:17 PM »
Q: Can the soul remain without a body?

M: It will do so during the next deep sleep. The Self is then bodiless. But even now it is so.

In deep sleep you exist without ego; then you are free of doubts. Only now, in the waking state, ego rises and you have doubts. In deep sleep, you are happy; in the waking state, you are unhappy. Find out what that state of deep sleep is, from which you have come.