Author Topic: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)  (Read 322410 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)
« Reply #735 on: November 05, 2012, 06:59:07 PM »
Dear prasanth,

Yes. Intellect is helpful only to know the true form of the world, mind and ego and then work out how to quell the
mind and place it with the Self. The role of intellect thereafter is not necessary.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #736 on: November 06, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »
Q: I begin to ask myself " Who am I?" and eliminate the body as not "I, " the prana (breath, vital force) as not "I," the mind as not "I," and I am not able to proceed further.

M: Well, that is as far as the intellect goes. Your process is only intellectual. Indeed all the scriptures mention the process only to guide the seeker to know the truth. The truth cannot be directly pointed out, hence this intellectual process. You see, the one who eliminates all that is "not-I," cannot eliminate the "I." To say, "I am not this," or "I am that," there must be the "I." This "I" is only the ego, or the "I"-thought. Once the "I"-thought has arisen, all other thoughts follow. The "I"-thought is therefore the root thought. If this root thought is eliminated, all others are uprooted.

Ask yourself, "Who am I?" Find its source. Then all these thoughts will vanish and the pure Self, alone, will remain. The "I" (feeling) is always there -- there is always the feeling of "I," otherwise could you deny your existence?

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #737 on: November 07, 2012, 12:31:45 PM »
The reality of yourself cannot be questioned. The Self is the primal reality. The ordinary person unconsciously takes reality to be their true inner reality plus everything else that has come into their consciousness as pertaining to themselves -- i.e., body, world, etc. This they have to unlearn.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #738 on: November 08, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »
Q: Where are memory and forgetfulness located?

M: In the Chitta (intellect).

People such as inventors searching for new material, make their discoveries in a state of self-forgetfulness. It is in a condition of deep intellectual concentration that this forgetfulness of the ego occurs, and the invention is revealed. This is also a way of developing intuition. Hence a sharpened, concentrated intellect is useful, and even essential in material matters, but the revelation or intuition arises in its own time and one must wait for it.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #739 on: November 09, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »
Q: Three or four times in my life great spiritual ecstasies have come and gone. I want them permanently.

M: They have come and gone, but you have not gone. Your real Self is still there!

There is a unity really, but intellect creates differences. Even so, intellect is a power (faculty) of the Self, but the principle which lies behind the intellect cannot be known by the intellect.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #740 on: November 12, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
However much you learn, there will be no bounds to knowledge. You ignore the doubter but try to solve the doubts. Instead, hold onto the doubter and the doubts will disappear. Yoga and meditation are for ordinary people. Vichara (Self-Inquiry) is for the wise. Vichara is the means of gaining realization.

There are people of giant intellect who spend their lives discovering knowledge about many things; but all this intellect is being turned outwards. What is the use of knowing about everything else when you do not yet know yourself? Ask these people if they know who they are, and they will hang their heads in shame.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #741 on: November 13, 2012, 01:54:44 AM »
Bhagavan to Paul Brunton: Your explanation in The Secret Path that the intellect is something added to the Self later, something superimposed by evolution, is not strictly correct from the highest standpoint. It must have always existed in the Self in order to have manifested: hence latently it was co-existent with the Self and did not come later. The tree must have been contained within the seed or it could not have sprung out of it: so too, intellect must have been contained in the Self from the beginning.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: November 14, 2012, 12:50:54 PM »
On Books

Lectures and books are of little benefit and are useful only to point out the way to beginners. The real work is done in meditation. As the Tamil Saint, Tayumanavar, points out in a poem, a person who sits still and silently can influence a whole country. The force of meditation is infinitely more powerful than speech or writing. One who sits in silence, meditating on the Self, will draw a whole crowd of people to him, without his going out to anyone.

Even books like the Bhagavad Gita, and Light on the Path, must be given up to find the Self by looking within. Even the Gita says, "Meditate on the Self." It does not say, "Meditate upon the book of the Gita. "

I asked Maharshi why his books are in poem and song. He said it was easier for people to learn and remember them in this form.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: November 14, 2012, 01:52:53 PM »
Dear prasanth,

I think the following is the Tayumanavar song that Sri Bhagavan had referred.

காகம் உறவு கலந்துண்ணக் கண்டீர் அகண்டா காரசிவ
போக மெனும்பே ரின்பவெள்ளம் பொங்கித்ததும்பிப் பூரணமாய்
ஏக வுருவாய்க் கிடக்குதையோ இன்புற் றிடநாம் இனிஎடுத்த
தேகம் விழுமுன் புசிப்பதற்குச் சேர வாருஞ் சகத்தீரே. 3.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #744 on: November 15, 2012, 01:43:58 AM »
Q: How do books help?

M: Only in that they may increase our spiritual aspiration.

The study of the sacred books will not be enough to reveal the truth. So long as vasanas (conditioned tendencies) are latent in the mind, realization cannot be achieved. Sastra (scripture) learning is itself a vasana. Samadhi (absorption in the Self) alone can reveal realization. Thoughts cast a veil over reality, and so it cannot be clear in states other than samadhi.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #745 on: November 15, 2012, 12:45:46 PM »
Dear Prasanth,

Swami Madhurananda speaks of five  pitfalls in Advaitic Sadhana, in his two part articles in Mountain Path, April-June 2006 & July-
October 2006.  These are-

a. snares of intellect. which include that sastras should be studied in great length, to attain enlightenment.

b. laya.

c. spiritual experiences like visions etc.,

d. the thought 'I am enlightened!"

e. the idea that Advaitic practice is not relevant to daily life.   

Very interesting articles and original ideas

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: November 15, 2012, 01:43:27 PM »
Dear Tusnim,

The author says that the thought I am enlightened during Sadhana alone is a pitfall. Because it gives a false sense of
complacency. After really attaining enlightenment, one should remain ever in peace and dynamic stillness.

Arunachala Siva.   

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #747 on: November 15, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
Dear Tusnim,

I shall quote the passage of the article by Swami Madhurananda, in Advent 2006 of Mountain Path:

'I am the enlightened one'

Due to their brief glimpses of dynamic peace, some people, even though they are just beginners, claim that they are fully
enlightened. This is mere delusion. Enlightenment is  not a state where one says, 'I am enlightened! How great I am! All
other beings need to be saved by me! As has already been explained, this is because enlightenment is not an experience
that happens to an individual. It is NOT a personal experience. It is impersonal. Yet it does not happen in isolation from
other beings. This is the paradox that the great Nisargadatta Maharaj described as the experience, 'I am nothing and yet
I am everything! So if a person says, 'I am enlightened, you are not!' we cannot sure he is not  enlightened at all!

It is true that enlightenment is the simplest thing, and that a person looks no different after achieving it. He remains simple
and unaffected. We unfortunately tend to mistake simplicity for spiritual shallowness. But a stage is at once extremely simple
and very profound. He has swallowed the entire universe of names and forms, and revels in supreme unfathomable peace. The
state of such a sage cannot even be guessed at. His Supreme Peace is known to him alone. This is why it is ludicrous when modern
'gurus'  give certificates of enlightenment to their disciples, endorsing them as teachers! Someone who needs the confirmation
of others regarding his own enlightenment is surely the king of ignorance and no wisdom. He seeks name and fame, not the welfare
of suffering sentient beings. Both the so called gurus and their misguided disciples who advertise their 'enlightenment', are bereft
of wisdom, because their focus is on worldly gain.

Enlightenment is a total shift in one's outlook on the world. One's experience of Reality moves from thinking that it exists externally
(objectively), to experiencing it subjectively (internally). As a consequence, one's experience does not need any external proof at all.
When Sri Bhagavan was enlightened He knew nothing about Brahmajnana, let alone what the word Brahman meant.

It is only when we come to truly understand that we continue to exist even when the body and the world are absent, that we will
know that we too, like the sage, are deathless and eternal.

An enlightened Jnani will never say I am enlightened, because to say so, is a thinking process and not an experiential bliss.

Arunachala Siva.   

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #748 on: November 15, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »
Sri Tushnim,

:) are you talking for yourself or on behalf of the enlightened?

॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #749 on: November 15, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »
Dear Tusnim,

I do not know whether the Buddha said I am enlightened.

Sri Bhagavan had said, "There is no birth or death" and 'there is no bondage or liberation" - only to highlight the state
of all devotees, (what is preventing them is only the thought of - this is not possible for me, and I am not fit for it, etc.)
 and not to tom tom His state of enlightenment.

Arunachala Siva.