Author Topic: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)  (Read 305059 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)
« Reply #195 on: September 06, 2011, 01:52:13 PM »

Dear prasanth,

This is one of the humorous replies given by Sri Bhagavan.  Attention towards the Heart is Self
attention and this is a direct path.  Concentrating on other centers are yogic methods which are
quite tough to practice and there the mind gets only suspended for some time and when yoga
practice is complete, the mind again jumps out towards world, and the worldly objects.  There is
no mano-nasa in such practices.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2011, 10:03:43 AM »
57. Question: Some people advise that one should concentrate on the center of the eyebrows. Is this correct?

Bhagavan: What is important is (ones) determination. The source of everything is the Heart. Merge the mind in it. Attention to the "I" source should not be given up. Ceaseless effort is needed. The more one practices the easier it will become, naturally bearing fruit at the right time.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2011, 09:59:51 AM »
58. Question: I have come here for many years. Some people meditate and soon get into samadhi (absolute or pure awareness). I close my eyes for a minute and the mind travels around the world ten times, and so many long forgotten things come up.

Bhagavan: Why do you concern yourself about others? They may meditate or sleep and snore. Look to yourself. Whenever the mind goes astray, bring it back to the quest. There is a verse in the Bhagavad Gita, which says: "To whatever side the restless, unsteady mind wanders away, we should check it and bring it back controlled, to the Self." The child who was woken up and given milk after it had gone to sleep, says to its mother the next morning, "Mother, you never gave me milk last night." Even so, you (too have) had your fill.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2011, 01:47:55 PM »

Dear prasanth,

We have to simply pursue self inquiry or self surrender.  We cannot
compare with others.  Our job is not to compare as if it is a school
examination. One may attain realization immediately and another may
attain it later. Another one may not attain it at all in this birth. However,
his efforts do not go a waste. He will start from where he left off in this
birth.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2011, 10:03:16 AM »
well said sir.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:25 AM »
59. Question: Mental activity during meditation does not seem to converge at a point, as it should, on the object of meditation; and it does not stay there but gets diverted into numerous thought channels. Why is it so? How can the mind be made to overcome this tendency toward diffuse thinking and attain its primal state of freedom from thought?

Bhagavan: It is the mind's attachment to objects, constituting the non-self, which makes the mind wander about during meditation. Therefore, the mind should be withdrawn from the non-self, and an effort should be made to fix it in Self-Inquiry. All extraneous thought is effectively eliminated when you attune the entire mind to the one question, "Who is it that is making the inquiry?"

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2011, 12:24:53 PM »
This Response by Bhagavan is actually not quite simple as it reads. I am baffled a the "state" of Bhagavan, its puzzling each and every cell of my body. Even Great Jnani's like HH Chandrashekhara Saraswathi Swamigal (Kanchi) and HH Sachchidananda Sivabhinava Narasimha (Sringeri) Swamigal had such great respect and adored Bhagavan. Ganapathy Sastrigal himself had hundreds of followers and He Himself was seen as a Rishi by many of his followers, He too was puzzled and baffled at Bhagavan's "State" Bhagavan was the Highest manifestation of absolute "Poornatvam" unparalleled.

Bhagavan's simplicity actually casts some illusions because he was so very humble and ordinary to our eyes. Moreover, His direct devotees like Muruganar, Nayaya and others were no ordinary devotees, they were verily like the 63 Nayanmars and Bhagavan is Saakshat Sivan Himself.

Where do we stand in the entire scheme? We have to do our Sadhana with utmost sincerity and purify our minds. And honestly, this enquiry has even baffled great devotees like Muruganar and Nayana as well. How are we to fare then?

We have to purify our mind first with other aids along with Bhagavan's guidance. Simple practice of Japa and other traditional rituals, etc... are great purifier and restricts the outgoing mind and brings back the focus on Japa or the ritual that we are doing.

Once our mind gets purified, then the Self Enquiry will be most effective. Like Bhagavan says -

"Gunpowder catches fire in an instant, while it takes time to ignite coal"

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:33:11 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

amiatall

« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2011, 07:40:12 PM »
This Response by Bhagavan is actually not quite simple as it reads. I am baffled a the "state" of Bhagavan, its puzzling each and every cell of my body. Even Great Jnani's like HH Chandrashekhara Saraswathi Swamigal (Kanchi) and HH Sachchidananda Sivabhinava Narasimha (Sringeri) Swamigal had such great respect and adored Bhagavan. Ganapathy Sastrigal himself had hundreds of followers and He Himself was seen as a Rishi by many of his followers, He too was puzzled and baffled at Bhagavan's "State" Bhagavan was the Highest manifestation of absolute "Poornatvam" unparalleled.

Bhagavan's simplicity actually casts some illusions because he was so very humble and ordinary to our eyes. Moreover, His direct devotees like Muruganar, Nayaya and others were no ordinary devotees, they were verily like the 63 Nayanmars and Bhagavan is Saakshat Sivan Himself.

Where do we stand in the entire scheme? We have to do our Sadhana with utmost sincerity and purify our minds. And honestly, this enquiry has even baffled great devotees like Muruganar and Nayana as well. How are we to fare then?

We have to purify our mind first with other aids along with Bhagavan's guidance. Simple practice of Japa and other traditional rituals, etc... are great purifier and restricts the outgoing mind and brings back the focus on Japa or the ritual that we are doing.

Once our mind gets purified, then the Self Enquiry will be most effective. Like Bhagavan says -

"Gunpowder catches fire in an instant, while it takes time to ignite coal"

Salutations to Bhagavan

Dear Nagaraj,

Ramana Maharshi summed up his technique:
What is essential in any sadhana [practice] is to try to bring back the running mind and fix it on one thing only. Why then should it not be brought back and fixed in Self-attention? That alone is Self-enquiry (atma-vicara). That is all that is to be done!

Why not go straight? As this practice itself purifies mind.
Just saying.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2011, 10:23:10 AM »
Dear Amiatall,

I have personally observed in my case atleast that Self Enquiry has been more effective along with the practice with other light daily traditionally practiced rituals and without that Self Enquiry is less effective and some times just a mere exercise!

Even Bhagavan had asked only Muruganar and Ramanatha Brahmachari alone to leave their rituals and for instance when some devotee saw Bhagavan tell Muruganar that he need no more do any rituals and he too stopped all his rituals and practices, and when this came to Bhagavan's notice, he told him to resume his rituals and practices and that applied only to Muruganar and not others and he always encouraged them to practice pranayama, Eating light and satwic food, etc... Ganapati Muni was complete ritualist. He did so much Japa and gave mantra Dheeksha to many Devotees at Ramanashramam as well.

कायवांमनःकार्यमुत्तमम् ।
पूजनं जपश्चिन्तनं क्रमात् ॥ (4)

Ritual worship, repetition of sacred names, and meditation are done with the body, the speech, and the mind, and they progress in excellence in that order.

and I realised that we have to move in that order only. Directly to be able to progress from the last stage is not easy/wise unless we have some poorva Janma sukrutham (benefit due to Past Life sadhana)

These rituals complement/help/support ones ability to concentrate and helps make our Self Enquiry like the flow of the Ghee -

आज्यधारया स्रोतसा समम् ।
सरलचिन्तनम् विरलतः परं ॥ (7)

Like an unbroken flow of oil or a stream of water,
continuous meditation is better than that which is interrupted.

I feel, most of us would not be able to practice Self Enquiry so constantly without any breaks as described above. We are surely caught up with our share of Prarabdhas and karmas and we are able to practice only for some time everyday or at most a maximum for few hours may be; and at other times we are definitely caught up with some thing or the other irrelevant or worldly!

Regular practice of our Nithya Karmas, chanting shlokas, etc... disciplines our mind further so as to be able to effectively be able to invoke our minds constantly to abide within the outgoing mind. Bhagavan initiated Self Enquiry to Ganapati Muni through Hi Japa Sadhana only i.e. observing the source of the Mantra, observing the source of the sound, where from it is coming from... as one does Japa.

Very few would be able to practice such levels of Pure Self Enquiry and their minds would be absolutely pure. And great devotees such as Muruganar and Ganapati Muni themselves have expressed their bewilderments directly or indirectly through their poems and shlokas they have composed. We are much much less compared to such great devotees! We should take aid of Praanayama/Yoga/Japa and the traditional practices of our families as the case may be (Hindu/Muslim/Christ)

Adding one more though -

I feel, Bhagavans teaching is not a new separate Sadhana, I mean, it has to be inculcated in what we are already doing, i.e. Hindu by being a better Hindu, A Christian by being  a better Christian and a Muslim by being a better Muslim with the essential ingredient of Bhagavan's teaching/Revelation.

Inculcating this Enquiry while chanting prayers, while doing Japa, or while doing Namaz or while while doing their prayers or psalms. any ways.

All religions is Bhagavan's religion or no religion is Bhagavan's religion!

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 11:10:50 AM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 10, 2011, 01:55:58 PM »

Yes. Sri Bhagavan's Self-hood experience has come in twenty minutes or
so.  He attained the state of sahaja samadhi, without reading any scriptures
worth the name, [excepting Periya Puranam, and Tayumanavar and Bible
lessons from school], and He did not even know the words Brahman etc.,
But His path is not suited to most of us. We go step by step, rituals, meditation,
and then self inquiry.  Sri Bhagavan Himself has said once: Perhaps I might
have completed these preliminaries in my earlier births.

Arunachala Siva.. 

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 12, 2011, 10:06:43 AM »
60. Question: How can I gain steadiness in practice?

Bhagavan: Only through more practice.

amiatall

« Reply #206 on: September 12, 2011, 05:37:09 PM »
Dear Nagaraj,

Yes, I see your point.
If we look closely self-inquiry in itself is not a meditation, one can do self fit practices and yet at the same time practice and watch to whom or whence all this arise. It makes mind penetrate deeper.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 12, 2011, 05:37:58 PM »
Dear Prashant,

In the Gita, Arjuna asks Bhagavan in desperation -

अर्जुन उवाच ।

यॊ‌உयं यॊगस्त्वया प्रॊक्तः साम्यॆन मधुसूदन ।
ऎतस्याहं न पश्यामि चञ्चलत्वात्स्थितिं स्थिराम् ॥ 33 ॥

Krishna, owing to restelssness of my mind, I do not see the steady continuance of this equanimity You have spoken of!

चञ्चलं हि मनः कृष्ण प्रमाथि बलवद्दृढम् ।
तस्याहं निग्रहं मन्यॆ वायॊरिव सुदुष्करम् ॥ 34 ॥

for, the mind is VERY UNSTEADY, TURBULENT, TENACIOUS and POWERFUL; therefore; I consider it as VERY DIFFICULT to control my mind which is like the wind!

Krishna Says

श्रीभगवानुवाच ।

असंशयं महाबाहॊ मनॊ दुर्निग्रहं चलम् ।
अभ्यासॆन तु कौन्तॆय वैराग्यॆण च गृह्यतॆ ॥ 35 ॥

The mind is restless NO DOUBT, and difficult to curb it O Mahabaho; but it can be brought under control by REPEATED PRACTICE of meditation and by the exercise of dispassion O Kaunateya.

असंयतात्मना यॊगॊ दुष्प्राप इति मॆ मतिः ।
वश्यात्मना तु यतता शक्यॊ‌உवाप्तुमुपायतः ॥ 36 ॥

Yoga is difficult to attain for one whose mind is not subdued (by effort) by him; however by Self-Control (Vairagyam) and Sincere Striving, it can be attained through Practice.

Further down, Arjuna is still not satisfied. Just like us. He is still worried and asks Krishna further -

अर्जुन उवाच ।

अयतिः श्रद्धयॊपॆतॊ यॊगाच्चलितमानसः ।
अप्राप्य यॊगसंसिद्धिं कां गतिं कृष्ण गच्छति ॥ 37 ॥

O Krishna, what becomes of him who, though endowed with faith has not been able to subdue his passions and whose mind is therefore diverted from the goal and fails to reach the perfection?

कच्चिन्नॊभयविभ्रष्टश्छिन्नाभ्रमिव नश्यति ।
अप्रतिष्ठॊ महाबाहॊ विमूढॊ ब्रह्मणः पथि ॥ 38 ॥

Krishna, fallen from both paths and without anything to stand upon, does he not perish like the torn clowd? (we all get this doubt often)

ऎतन्मॆ संशयं कृष्ण छॆत्तुमर्हस्यशॆषतः ।
त्वदन्यः संशयस्यास्य छॆत्ता न ह्युपपद्यतॆ ॥ 39 ॥

Krishna, you must dispel this doubt of mine completely; for none other than You can do so!

श्रीभगवानुवाच ।

पार्थ नैवॆह नामुत्र विनाशस्तस्य विद्यतॆ ।
न हि कल्याणकृत्कश्चिद्दुर्गतिं तात गच्छति ॥ 40 ॥

Dear Arjuna, there is no fall for him either here or hereafter for none who does good ever comes to grief

प्राप्य पुण्यकृतां लॊकानुषित्वा शाश्वतीः समाः ।
शुचीनां श्रीमतां गॆहॆ यॊगभ्रष्टॊ‌உभिजायतॆ ॥ 41 ॥

He who has fallen from Yoga, obtains the higher words to which men of meritorious deeds alone are entitled and having resided there thereafter take birth in a house of the pious or wealthy

अथवा यॊगिनामॆव कुलॆ भवति धीमताम् ।
ऎतद्धि दुर्लभतरं लॊकॆ जन्म यदीदृशम् ॥ 42 ॥

Or he is born in the amily of enlightened Yogis itself; but to get such a birth in this worlf is very difficult

तत्र तं बुद्धिसंयॊगं लभतॆ पौर्वदॆहिकम् ।
यततॆ च ततॊ भूयः संसिद्धौ कुरुनन्दन ॥ 43 ॥

O Kurunandana, He regains in that borth the spiritual insight of his previous birth and through that he strives harder than ever for perfection!

पूर्वाभ्यासॆन तॆनैव ह्रियतॆ ह्यवशॊ‌உपि सः ।
जिज्ञासुरपि यॊगस्य शब्दब्रह्मातिवर्ततॆ ॥ 44 ॥

He feels drawn towards God by force of the habit acquired in his previous birth, even the seeker of enlightenment on yoga rises above the actions prescribed by the word of the Vedas

प्रयत्नाद्यतमानस्तु यॊगी संशुद्धकिल्बिषः ।
अनॆकजन्मसंसिद्धस्ततॊ याति परां गतिम् ॥ 45 ॥

The Yogi However, who diligently takes up the pratice attains perfection in this very life, with the help of inheritance from many births and being thoroughly purged of sin, then reaches the SUPREME STATE

तपस्विभ्यॊ‌உधिकॊ यॊगी ज्ञानिभ्यॊ‌உपि मतॊ‌உधिकः ।
कर्मिभ्यश्चाधिकॊ यॊगी तस्माद्यॊगी भवार्जुन ॥ 46 ॥

The Yogi is superior to the ascetics, he is regarded as Superior men of knowledge and to those who perform action with a motive. Therefore Arjuna, You become a YOGI!

यॊगिनामपि सर्वॆषां मद्गतॆनान्तरात्मना ।
श्रद्धावान्भजतॆ यॊ मां स मॆ युक्ततमॊ मतः ॥ 47 ॥

Of all yogis, again, he who deoutly worships Me (SELF) with his mind focussed on Me (WITHIN) is considered by Me to be the most Devout!

Elders say, It is enough if one always remembers these replies of Bhagavan from the entire Bhagavad Gita and that itself can take one to the Supreme if practiced with utmost sincerity.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE , PRACTICE, even if we fail just resuming the practice again and again... For Bhagavan has confirmed that what practice we have done never goes waste.

Suppose you did Self Enquiry 5 years back and then stopped it due to some problems, some samsara problems... Bhagavan says that such practice does not go waste. It is carried forward again when you resume again!

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:43:17 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Nagaraj

• View Profile
Lesson from a Spider
« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2011, 06:01:24 PM »
According to some legend an emperor when he was jailed after a bad defeat, observed a spider spinning a web, trying to make a connection from one area of the cave's roof to another. Each time the spider failed, it began again until it succeeded. Inspired by this, the emperor returned to inflict a series of defeats on the English, thus winning him more supporters and eventual victory.

"if at first you don't succeed, try try again."

We should always remember this watching the spider make its attempt seven times, succeeding on the eighth try!

Point to note is that the Spider's effort on all 7 occassions were made with utter sincerity and maximum effort!

Like how Krishna says in Gita Uddharet Atmanaatmanam - the Self is both your friend (Devas) and your enemy (Asuras). When your find yourself being pulled by your own bad self (Asuras), you have to pull yourself(Devas) back again to poise.

Salutations to Bhagavan
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 06:09:14 PM by Nagaraj »
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
~ Vasishta

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 12, 2011, 06:24:55 PM »

Dear Nagaraj,

Yes. I agree. Efforts and perseverance are the key to attain liberation
through self inquiry or self surrender.

Arunachala Siva.