Author Topic: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)  (Read 313409 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)
« Reply #180 on: August 24, 2011, 05:20:38 PM »

Dear prasanth,

Yes. Nochur Venkataraman says that the two benedictory verses of ULLadu Narpadu
alone will do. One speak of self inquiry and the second speaks of self surrender.
If one could read it again and again, this alone is sufficient.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 25, 2011, 11:22:49 AM »
48. Question: While sitting near you, what sort of mental state should we have so as to receive the transmission from your pure being, or Self?

Bhagavan: Keep your mind still, that is enough. You will get spiritual help sitting in this hall if you keep yourself still. The aim of all practices is to give up all practices. When the mind becomes still, the power of the Self will be experienced. The (underlying) waves of the Self are pervading everywhere. If the mind is at peace, one begins to experience them.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 25, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »

Dear prasanth,

Yes. In the Old Hall, many devotees used to show many different characteristics. Some like
Devaraja Mudaliar used to ask many questions to Sri Bhagavan. A few would always keep silent,
and look at Sri Bhagavan's face and also His words which He spoke on His own without any
questions. The second type of devotees got better benefits.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 25, 2011, 11:47:51 PM »
well said Subramanian garu.

people falling in 2nd category are the most blessed ones.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 26, 2011, 10:01:26 AM »
49. Question: Which is better for me, to gaze at your eyes or your face? Or, should I sit with closed eyes and concentrate my mind on a particular thing?

Bhagavan: Gaze at your own real nature. It is immaterial whether the eyes are open or closed. Everywhere there is only the One Presence, so it is all the same whether you keep your eyes open or closed.

If you wish to meditate, do so on the "I" that is within you. It is Atman (the Self). Because it has no eyes, there is no need either to open or close the eyes. When you attain Self-Knowledge, there will no longer be any ideas about the world. If you abide in the state of Reality, it is all the same whether the eyes are open or closed. It matters little whether external activities go on or not.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 26, 2011, 01:54:18 PM »

Dear prasanth,

Yes. Opening eyes or closed eyes during meditation - is left to the
practicer.  One can follow any one method, but one should do meditation
on the Self within.  Sri Bhagavan however, specifically advised
Annamalai Swami to do meditation with open eyes. Perhaps He considered
that that particular method was more suitable to him.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 29, 2011, 01:15:02 PM »
50. Question: Should I sit in a particular posture, and sit on a grass mat to meditate?

Bhagavan: Stability in the Self is the real posture. In what posture will Atman (the Self) sit? It is wrong to say that there is no Self-Knowledge without particular postures; the Self has no need of them. The compulsion of having a particular kind of posture makes the mind get agitated.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 29, 2011, 03:35:51 PM »

Dear prasanth,

Yes. Sri Bhagavan said: Any sukasana is good.  The posture should give
you  comfort to enable you to meditate. That is all.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 30, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
51. Question: How to uproot or end the weariness, fear, and anxiety that arise during meditation?

Bhagavan: Find out to whom these questions occur. By conducting this inquiry, these things will disappear. These things are impermanent, they are just more thoughts. Do not pay attention to them. When there is knowledge of duality, fear arises. Fear only comes when you think that there are "others" apart from you. If you direct your mind towards the Self, fear and anxiety will go away.

In your present state, when the mind is agitated, if you remove one kind of fear, another will rise up and there will be no end to them. It is a laborious task to pluck the leaves off a tree one by one. The "I" feeling is the root of all thoughts. If you destroy the root, the leaves and branches will wither away. Instead of forming bad habits and then taking medicine for them, it is better to see that such bad habits are not formed.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 31, 2011, 10:02:22 AM »
52. Question: How to meditate?

Bhagavan: Being aware of the Self is the real meditation. When the mind gives up its habit of choosing and deciding, it then turns towards its own real nature. At that time, it gets into the fundamental state. When the ego gets or stays more powerful, entry into this state does not take place.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 01, 2011, 05:07:48 PM »
53. Question: What must I do to avoid sleep during my meditation?

Bhagavan: Meditators must not work too much, nor should they fill their stomachs with excessive food. The more one fills the stomach, the lower one's mental state becomes. If the stomach is mostly empty, one will go higher spiritually. One should not tighten the strings of the veena (stringed musical instrument) either too much or too little. The body must be kept like that.

Likewise with sleep. One third of the night has been allotted for sleep. That is, one must go to bed at 10 p.m. and wake up at 2 a.m. One should not sleep during the daytime. There is another system also. One should get up whenever one wakes up and one should sleep whenever sleep comes. But, one should not think, "I slept" or "I woke up." Here, it is the thought I that is the problem.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 02, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »
54. Question: Why is it that during meditation I am often prone to sleep?

Bhagavan: Of course one should be alert in Sadhana (spiritual practice) and guard against sleep as far as one can. But, if sleep does overpower you, it does not matter. The moment you wake up, you catch up the current of your meditation and continue. So, sleep will prove no hindrance. However, practice to always stay alert during your chosen or scheduled time for Sadhana.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 02, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »

Dear prasanth,

I was away in T'malai for Arunai Vijayam Day of Sri Bhagavan, i.e.
1st Sept.  2011.

Sleep is  usually comes for beginners. After continuing meditation
for long periods on different days, sleep can be overcome. Sri
Bhagavan says even if sleep comes, it does not matter, one
can pursue meditation upon waking.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 05, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »
55. Question: The scriptures say that attention should be placed at the center between the eyebrows. Is this correct?

Bhagavan: The feeling "I AM" is directly evident to everyone. What happiness is there in seeing any particular God if one ignores this feeling? There is no foolishness like that of thinking that God exists only in certain spots such as the place between the eyebrows. Fixing the attention on these spots or locations is just a violent form of sadhana (spiritual practice) whose aim is to concentrate the mind in order to prevent it from running everywhere. Inquiring, "Who Am I?" is a much easier method of controlling the mind.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 06, 2011, 09:52:48 AM »
56. Question: I am often tempted to try other centers (of concentration), such as the base of the mind, the tip of the nose, and the space between the eyebrows. What does Bhagavan think about it?

Bhagavan: When the Heart center is there (is present), why not go directly to it instead of going through other centers? To come to Tiruvannamalai from Madras (in South India), why should you go to Banaras (in North India) first and come down all the way, or why go to Rameswaram (another city further south in India) and come up here. Why not come straight?