Author Topic: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)  (Read 289818 times)

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
Re: Daily Message From AHAM (The Association of Happiness for All Mankind)
« Reply #150 on: July 29, 2011, 10:08:16 AM »
Bhagavan: Who is it that is putting this question?

25. Question: One who seeks the Truth.

Bhagavan: Who is he?

26. Question: He who desires to know the Truth.

Bhagavan: Instead of having a mere desire to know the Truth, if he has the anubhava (experience or realization) such questions as these would not arise.

27. Question: The trinity (Triputi) of knower, known, and knowledge is an appearance; you say that there is a unity behind it, supporting it. What is this unity, is it a powerful one?

Bhagavan: It is an All-powerful existence.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 01, 2011, 11:14:49 AM »
28. Question: How then should I know the "I?"

Bhagavan: By investigation into this question itself, and thereby will you get the experience or atmanubhuti. The ardent desire to know the Truth has a beneficial purpose to serve until one has such experience.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 01, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »

Dear prasanth,

Yes.  Intense longing for realizing the Truth is mumukshatvam.  This is the first requisite for an
ardent seeker.  Then he should commence his sadhana and the triputis will disappear once
the experience is gained.

Arunachala Siva.   

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:42 AM »
29. Question: In spite of having come to the definite conclusion as a result of one's own investigation, that "I" has no essential relation with the non-self i.e., with the body, senses, and the objects perceived by the senses the mind [still] persists in going after these very same things which constitute the non-self. What is it due to and how can it be remedied?

Bhagavan: It is due to a lack of abhyasa and vairagya (practice and dispassion). When Self-Inquiry has become steady [through unswerving] practice, and the spirit of renunciation firm through [reliable] conviction, your mind will be free from the tendency of thinking about the non-self.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:52 PM »

Dear prasanth,

Yes. Non attachment and discrimination should be adopted for a long duration to keep the mind
steady in the Self, that would result in aham-sphurana.

Arunachala Siva.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2011, 10:21:33 AM »
30. Question: Is it enough if I spend some time in the mornings and some time in the evenings for this atma-vichara? (Self-Inquiry) Or, should I do it always say, even when I am writing or walking?

Bhagavan: Now what is your real nature? Is it writing, walking, or being? The one unalterable reality is Being. Until you realize that state of Pure Being, you should pursue the Inquiry. If once you are established in it, there will be no further worry.

No one will inquire into the source of thoughts unless thoughts arise. So long as you think, "I am walking," "I am writing," etc., inquire who does it.

These actions will however go on when one is firmly established in the Self. Does a man always say, " I am a man, I am a man, I am a man," every moment of his life? He does not say so, and yet all his actions are going on.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 04, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
31. Question: When I read Sri Bhagavan's works, I find that
investigation [Self-Inquiry] is set out to be the one method for Realization.

Bhagavan: Yes, that is the Vichara. The questioner must admit the existence of his Self. "I AM" is the Realization. To pursue the clue till Realization is Vichara. Vichara and Realization are the same. Meditation requires an object to meditate upon, whereas there is only the subject without the object in Vichara. Meditation differs from Vichara in this way.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 05, 2011, 10:10:22 AM »
32. Question: What is the truth that I have to attain? Please explain it to me.

Bhagavan: What we have to attain, and what is desired by everyone, is endless happiness. Although we seek to attain it in various ways, it is [usually incorrectly looking] to something to be sought or attained as a new experience. [However] our real nature [in its purity] is the "I" feeling, which is always experienced [inwardly] by everyone. It is within us and nowhere else. Although we are always experiencing it, our minds are wandering, always seeking it [outside of us], thinking in ignorance that it is something apart from us. This is like a person saying with his own tongue that he has no tongue.

33. Question: If this is so, why did so many spiritual practices come to be created?

Bhagavan: The sadhanas (spiritual practices) arose only to get rid of the thought that it (the Self) is something to be newly attained. The root of the illusion is the thought that ignores the Self and thinks instead, "I am this body." Once this thought rises, it expands in no time into several thousand thoughts and conceals the Self.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 08, 2011, 02:01:50 AM »
34. Question: I am now peacefully sitting [knowing I am], without the thought "I am the body." Is this the state of reality?

Bhagavan: This state must remain as it is without any change. If it changes after a while you will know that other thoughts have not gone.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 09, 2011, 10:09:02 AM »
35. Question: Because I have too much work to do, I keep forgetting to meditate. If I frequently forget like this, when am I going to make any progress?

Bhagavan: Never mind. Jnana (knowledge) will not come in a day. Samskaras (mental habits) will disappear only gradually. Today we may think every four hours, "Oh, I have forgotten to meditate." Tomorrow we may remember every 3 1/2 hours. The day after, every three hours. In this way enthusiasm for meditation will slowly come.

Why do you think, "Why didn't I meditate?" or "Why didn't I work?" If the thoughts "I did" and "I didn't" are given up, then all actions will end up as meditation. In that state meditation cannot be given up.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2011, 10:18:53 AM »
36. Question: Mental activity during meditation does not seem to converge at a point, as it should, on the object of meditation; and it does not stay there, but gets diverted into numerous thought channels. Why is this so? How can the mind be made to overcome this tendency towards diffused thinking, and attain its primal state of freedom from thought?

Bhagavan: It is the mind's attachment to objects constituting the non-self, that makes the mind wander about during meditation. Therefore, the mind should be withdrawn from the non-self; and effort should be made to fix it in Self-Inquiry. All extraneous thought is effectively eliminated when you attune the entire mind to the one question, "Who is it that is making the inquiry?"

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 11, 2011, 09:56:27 AM »
37. Question: In spite of having come to the definite conclusion, as a result of one's investigation, that the true "I" has no essential relation with the non-self, i.e., with the body, senses, and the objects perceived by the senses, the mind still persists in going after these very same things that constitute the non-self. What is it due to; and how can it be remedied?

Bhagavan: It is due to lack of practice (abhyasa) and dispassion of non-attachment (vairagya). When the Self-Inquiry has become steady through practice, and the spirit of renunciation is firm through conviction, your mind will be free from the tendency of thinking about the non-self.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 12, 2011, 10:03:25 AM »
38. Question: When my mind wanders during meditation, in spite of my attempts to control it, should I give it up?

Bhagavan: One need not abandon meditation, thinking that it is the nature of the mind to wander. Whatever one practices becomes natural. If control is practiced persistently, that will become natural.

ramana_maharshi

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2011, 10:01:34 AM »
39. Question: What method should I use to make my mind steady and firm?

Bhagavan: It is sufficient to think always of one thing. If the mind does not obey, again start thinking of only one thing. In course of time, the mind will obey your orders.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 15, 2011, 03:46:21 PM »

Dear prasanth,

This AHAM publications have published the English version of Sadhanai
Saram of Sri Sadhu Om [translated by Sri Sadhu Om himself and titled
as A Light on the Teaching of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.  The
publishers are from Asheboro, NC, 27205, USA. However the copy is
available in one book shop in Bangalore.

Arunachala Siva.