Author Topic: fighting with ego  (Read 12629 times)

trikaranashuddhi

• View Profile
fighting with ego
« on: December 12, 2007, 11:54:32 PM »
why is it so difficult to act without ego?, especially when I know that its my ego that is giving me certain feelings. Why do I feel that I am missing out on many things that other people enjoy doing?
Is this way of life useless?.....if happiness can be achieved with ego, why should we fight it? especially when we don't know what true happiness is or not.

trikaranashuddhi

• View Profile
Re: fighting with ego
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 03:55:02 PM »
Its understood now what you say. Can you help me analyse this situation???

"I invited" a guest to give a lecture at our institute and to have some collaborative projects with him, now ever since he has come someone else has taken all his time and he has none for me left. I dont even know when he will come again.

I am fighting this emotion from last two days. I know its my "I"- ness working through ego, but why is this so uncomfortable?

trikaranashuddhi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 01:28:35 AM »
thank you ....thanks a lot. It really works. May be this is also a state of mind. But still you have been the instrument to show me what is true.

ramaniyer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 02:53:52 PM »
Dear sirs, I am new to this Fourm.
this is the third time in three months Im here.Toiday everyone is exited about the Pournami and the Girivallam.
Behind all this iM in a state of confusion and trying to find out who really I am,,
im blessed after being oin the Asram and Meditating my Higher Mind has been activated and now that Higher Mond wathces the ego,,,
i consider ego to be that part of my mind that craves for pleasure becuse it thrives on it.
denied it,ego gets puishy aggressive,passive etc, all states of mind not in coingruence with my True Self.
so i the course of a day when those negative ill-emotions come up i know this is a false character operating,,by Grace of Lord Ramana im certain Ill be distanced from those defects of character that cause me and others around me pain and frustraion.
one of my main aims is to be in a level of Serenity and Love thats unfaltering,, no matter what the outside circumstances,, I dont want my Inner Self tobe disturbed.
I thoink as I go along innlife,, Who Am I ? will be the key to that Exalted State !!!
thanks for letting me share a bit of myself with you,,
Hari Om,,,,Tat Sat !!

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 03:31:33 PM »
Dear Ramaniyer, do not stop Girivalam, going to Ramanasramam and
praying to Matrubhuteswara and Ramaneswara Mahalingam, going to
Arunachaleswara Temple and praying to Unnamulai Amman and Annamalai, do not stop reading Bhagavan's books, by him and on him.
A day will come definitely in our lives, when we shall cease to do all
these things, and bring Bhagavan, first by mediation and then by
retaining Him ever in our Heart.  That day, all vasanas will vanish,
all karmas will vanish, there is no death or rebirth and we shall
attain the Ramana-bhavam.  We shall both travel together in this
path and become the goal.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 04:41:15 PM »
Dear srkudai,  I have not read Ashtavakra Gita in detail.  There is
no reference to it in "Talks" but "Day by Day' entry dt.  31.3.1945,
mentions it.  Bhagavn says that the essence of AG is: Surrender to
the Guru your notions of "I" and"mine", and this will give you
realization.  Bhagavan also cross-refers Vasishtam in this context.
The verses indicated by you are excellent and I shall read this
treatise in detail in one or two days.  Ashtavakra makes Janaka
to sit on his horse, with one leg on the stirrup and another leg on
the midair and leaves at it and comes back after some time, to
test his faith in guru.  Perhaps the allegory is that one realize the
Self within the time that is taken between placing both the legs on the stirrup if one has faith in Guru.  Arunachala Siva.   

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 04:43:32 PM »
Dear sirs, I am new to this Fourm.
this is the third time in three months Im here.Toiday everyone is exited about the Pournami and the Girivallam.
Behind all this iM in a state of confusion and trying to find out who really I am,,
im blessed after being oin the Asram and Meditating my Higher Mind has been activated and now that Higher Mond wathces the ego,,,
i consider ego to be that part of my mind that craves for pleasure becuse it thrives on it.
denied it,ego gets puishy aggressive,passive etc, all states of mind not in coingruence with my True Self.
so i the course of a day when those negative ill-emotions come up i know this is a false character operating,,by Grace of Lord Ramana im certain Ill be distanced from those defects of character that cause me and others around me pain and frustraion.
one of my main aims is to be in a level of Serenity and Love thats unfaltering,, no matter what the outside circumstances,, I dont want my Inner Self tobe disturbed.
I thoink as I go along innlife,, Who Am I ? will be the key to that Exalted State !!!
thanks for letting me share a bit of myself with you,,
Hari Om,,,,Tat Sat !!

Dear Ramaniyer,

If you just relax, just BEING, not doing anything special, not expecting anything but just BEING.  In your BEINGNESS, you will notice thoughts will sprout up by themselves. Then if you try to find from whence do they come from, you will realize that they just pop up from "emptiness", from a void. Then just pay a slight attention to the thought and you will notice that it dissolve into that void by itself, it return from whence it came.

What "normaly" happens is that we "follow" thoughts. This is what keeps us outward and into ignorance. Self-Enquiry is "going" within.

If you read your post, you will realize that all the difficulties that "you" wrote are merely thoughts that you are "following". Let them dissolve by themselves.

The ego, the mind are only thoughts.

The obstacles that you wrote about are the ONLY obstacles. Get rid of them, do not follow them. YOU ARE THAT I AM.  Not the thoughts that sprout up.

Namaste Dear Ramaniyer.
Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 08:59:15 PM »
Dear Skrudai,

I agree with your post, except for only one point. When you say: "i am the awareness, this awareness does not try to change this state, neither tries to modify it nor improve it --- it just witnesses

Because that means that there is a witness and something witnessed, which I think you already know.

Oh Arunachala, blazing fire of Jnana, in my heart I pray and think of Thee from afar, root out the ego, merging me in the Self.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »
Dear srkudai,  As non-duel said, Be the Witness and do not, as far
as possible, create, modify, improve or destroy the states.  Words
are there (all spoken words, books etc.,) and these have to be used to
get into the realm of Wordless Phenomenon.  As Upanishads say, words and deeds go and come back without knowing the Self or Brahman.  One
day, the state beyond words, that is Silence, will engulf us and this is
realization. Arunachala Siva. 

mark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 07:58:51 PM »
trikaranashuddhi 
because you are not separte from your ego, you are beyond it. awareness is all that you are and all that you do. some "peoples" egos are superior to damaged egos, and appear more happy
but no matter, all egos die anway. who you trully are is true happiness.
Mark

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 11:18:53 AM »
When ego (along with mind, intellect and mind stuff) dies,
one becomes the Self, Existence-Awareness-Bliss.
Arunachala Siva.

mark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 06:13:28 PM »
Dear Subramium,
Would you please clarify your statement(becasue it very well might be just a misunderstading on my part of the words that you use.)
that one becomes Self when ego dies?  Because Self includes all mind there is no becoming, there is only realization.
Mark

nonduel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 07:34:38 PM »
Sri Ramana liked to tell the story of the lost necklace. A women had a precious necklace which she had lost. She looked everywhere and couldn't find it. Someone told her that she had the necklace around her neck all the time. So it was never lost, she just realized she had it around her neck all the time.

Same with Realisation. But the ignorance of the whereabout of the necklace was "real" to her. I think that Subramanian meant that with the "death" of the ego, mind, intellect (source of ignorance), then one realises that he was always SELF.

Mind per-se doesn't exist, it is only a bundle of thoughts. Thoughts are ripples on the surface of the ocean, but they are also the ocean. In that sense you are also right Mark, it is all One, all Brahman.

Problem is the use of words. Of course Dear Subramanain, I do not want to talk in your place, just expressing my understanding.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »
Dear Mark, non-duel, both you have explained it nicely.  The necklace
example of Bhagavan has hit the nail.  He also said about 'the tenth man'
who was never missing.  Perhaps, most of us are used to the word
'becoming'.  We want to 'become' so much.  We want to become rich,
we want to become great, we want to become Presidents, Prime Ministers etc., One is always the Self.  One need not become the Self.  Okay.  When
I mentioned death of ego, it is "mano-nasa", which Bhagavan refers.
Mind and thoughts will be there, even if one is SELF, but this mind is the
'pure mind'.  Bhagavan used the word 'suddha-manas'. 'Suddha manas'
may have 'suddha-yojana',  'pure thoughts'.  Arunachala Siva. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 11:35:34 AM »
Bhagavan has also said that the term to 'realize' is  not correct.
What is there to 'real-ize'?  He had asked.  The step is to remove
the unreal and not realize.  Arunachala Siva.