Author Topic: What makes Ramana so great  (Read 9554 times)

arcsekar

• View Profile
Re: What makes Ramana so great
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 03:36:12 PM »
Whenever some doubts arise about spiritual topics,just I open the book 'Talks with Ramana'  I get the right answer.Bagavan is my ready reckoner. Whenever Iam caught in a trouble  a solution from least expected source shoots up. Not seen him in physical form, but he is closest to my heart than anybody else. I dont pray.Instead Bhagavan has instilled enough faithin him . Things just happen to my advantage Advent of Ramana in my life makes me feel so great. That makes Ramana so great to me

James

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 04:27:37 PM »
What makes Ramana so great?

I find Ramana Maharshi exemplifies the highest Perfection, that is egoless-ness. And as one would expect where there is no longer ego, he treated all with kindness and equality.

This is rare amongst people and teachers, making him a truly Great Teacher.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 06:36:59 AM by James »

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2016, 08:33:35 PM »
Ramana was not great
there is no thing that makes him great
when you call Ramana great you are comparing him to someone small and believing he is separate from others
Ramana is not great or small but includes both greatness and smallness
Ramana is the truth of who we really are
Ramana is myself
Ramana is yourself
 :)

simply stop telling the story of the self and see who you are without it

James

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 03:07:03 AM »
We can all play this game BA

Ramana is not Truth
there is no thing that makes him the Truth
when you call Ramana the Truth you are comparing him to someone who is not the Truth and believe he is seperate from others
Ramana is not the Truth or seperate from others
Ramana is myself
Ramana is yourself

In a relative sense, Ramana Maharshi is most certainly great.

Ramana was not great
there is no thing that makes him great
when you call Ramana great you are comparing him to someone small and believing he is separate from others
Ramana is the truth of who we really are
Ramana is myself
Ramana is yourself

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »
james ..... have a nice day     :)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 06:24:09 PM »
Sri Ramana lived in the state of self realization, keeping His body as a shadow, for 54 years!
He attained Atma Jnana at the age of 17.

No other saint of India has done this.

Arunachala Siva.

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2016, 06:58:01 AM »
Here is an excerpt from The Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna:

After my vision of the Divine Mother, I prayed to Her, taking a flower in my hands: 'Mother, here is Thy knowledge and here is Thy ignorance. Take them both, and give me only pure love. Here is Thy holiness and here is Thy unholiness. Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love. Here is Thy good and here is Thy evil. Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love. Here is Thy righteousness, and here is Thy unrighteousness. Take them both, Mother, and give me pure love.' I mentioned all these, but I could not say: 'Mother, here is Thy truth and here is Thy falsehood. Take them both.' I gave up everything at Her feet but could not bring myself to give up truth."

Truth,even when spoken of in a relative sense is paramount...... and in the absolute sense is the very essence of existence.....sat.....So,while anything else can be said of 'Ramana'.....it cannot be said that 'Ramana is not truth'.....and because 'Ramana is Truth' and 'Truth' is infinite(satyam jnanam anantam Brahma)....and this 'anantam'(infinte) is certainly great for what can be greater than the infinite?.....So,Ramana is great as he  was the Truth itself.

Realization of Truth is the only criteria . Keeping the body as a shadow for 54 years and that 'no ther saint has done this' cannot be a criteria.....for Trailinga swami lived even without a loin cloth for over 300 years in the state of realization.

"when you call Ramana great you are comparing him to someone small and believing he is separate from others"....I tend to agree with this......we call him 'great' for the wrong reason!

I also wholeheartedly agree with James:

I find Ramana Maharshi exemplifies the highest Perfection, that is egoless-ness. And as one would expect where there is no longer ego, he treated all with kindness and equality.
This is rare amongst people and teachers, making him a truly Great Teacher.

Namaskar

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2016, 07:21:32 AM »
Beloved abstract said this:

This is how the upanishads describe Truth:
Anoraneeyan mahato maheeyan-smaller(subtler) than the anu(or atom) and vaster than the vast(mahat).

This reminds me of the story of Akbar and Birbal....Birbal was the wise minister in the court of emperor Akbar.....Once Birbal called Akbar as 'even greater than God'....Akbar,although he knew that Birbal does not make tall claims and does not indulge in flattery was nonplussed.....he asked Birbal to justify his statement....Birbal said 'O Emperor,if you find fault with me,you can exile me from your kingdom but God cannot do the same....so,in this respect you are the greater of the two!'.....and Akbar was satisfied with the explanation!

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2016, 08:37:03 AM »
ravi ...  :)

James

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2016, 09:46:45 AM »
and in the absolute sense is the very essence of existence.....sat.....So,while anything else can be said of 'Ramana'.....it cannot be said that 'Ramana is not truth'.....and because 'Ramana is Truth' and 'Truth' is infinite(satyam jnanam anantam Brahma)....and this 'anantam'(infinte) is certainly great for what can be greater than the infinite?.....So,Ramana is great as he  was the Truth itself.

Dear Ravi,

From a relative perspective I would have to agree with you, "Ramana is Truth", and as such is Great.

But it is only relative. Ramana had no such absolute ideas about himself. If he used the term it was only for the so-called ajnani's benefit.

From that perspective the post "Ramana is not Truth" is arguably equally as accurate as the claim "Ramana is Truth".

Nevertheless, that was not the posts intention. It was intended only to demonstrate how easy it is to twist words about. An approach often used by neo-advaita intellectuals so as to appear clever.

Nagaraj

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2016, 10:39:54 AM »
'There' all speech along with the mind turn back being unable to reach 'it'

~ Taittiriya Upanishad

If thou thinkest that thou knowest It well, little indeed dost thou know the form of the Brahman. That of It which is thou, that of It which is in the gods, this thou hast to think out. I think It known.

I think not that I know It well and yet I know that It is not unknown to me. He of us who knows It, knows That; he knows that It is not unknown to him.

He by whom It is not thought out, has the thought of It; he by whom It is thought out, knows It not. It is unknown to the discernment of those who discern of It, by those who seek not to discern of It, It is discerned.

~ Kena Upanishad

Therefore,

'muneh bhaavah iti maunam' - the true disposition of a real muni is silence.

WHEN SITA WAS asked who was her husband among the rishis (Rama himself being present there as a rishi) in the forest, by the wives of the rishis, she denied each one as he was pointed out to her, but simply hung down her head when Rama was pointed out. Her silence was eloquent.

Similarly, the Vedas also are eloquent in neti-neti (not this, not this) and then remain silent. Their silence is the Real State. This is the meaning of exposition by silence. When the source of the ?I?-thought is reached it vanishes and what remains is the Self.

~ Stories as told by Bhagawan
॥ शांतमात्मनि तिष्ट ॥
Remain quietly in the Self.
~ Vasishta

Ravi.N

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2016, 12:34:39 PM »
James,
Yes,I understood your view on neo advaita.

The point of my post was to say that 'Ramana' is the 'sat' or Truth.This 'sat' or 'Truth' is not 'relative' but is absolute existence....that which alone is.....which cannot cease to be.It is not an 'idea'.
This is the reason that Sri Bhagavan also sang along with others the song 'Ramana satguru'....Ramana is this 'satbodha' guru....or Guru who is Truth Consciousness.
This is how Sri Ramakrishna says:
Satchidananda alone is the Guru. If a man in the form of a guru awakens spiritual consciousness in you, then know for certain that it is God the Absolute who has assumed that human form for your sake.

Any saint or sage is a 'mahan' or 'Great one' in the sense that he is this 'sat' manifest.I am sure that all of us appreciate this.

namaskar.

James

« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2016, 03:18:30 PM »
The point of my post was to say that 'Ramana' is the 'sat' or Truth.This 'sat' or 'Truth' is not 'relative' but is absolute existence....that which alone is.....which cannot cease to be.It is not an 'idea'.

Again, I agree with you Ravi. Truth is what cannot cease to be......and the Great Ramana Maharshi is our reminder.

When I say truth is relative, I refer to the concept.

Our exchange demonstrates the challenge of using words to express the wordless.

Beloved Abstract

• View Profile
    • David Ford Art
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2016, 09:41:22 PM »
huhuhuhuh ......  :P