Author Topic: What makes Ramana so great  (Read 7797 times)

snow

• View Profile
What makes Ramana so great
« on: March 04, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
Recently an American teacher disrobed himself (stopped being a Buddhist teacher) because of sexual misconduct, lies and other bad behaviour. Prior to that he had emphazised that "students have to find a way to  submit to their teacher,” and “to come under the teacher". And this is a very common teaching among fake "gurus" all over the world. They say that they are higher and greater than you so you have to submit to them and give them power over you. Ramana Maharshi was very different in that perspective. Not only did he not teach this, but when people wanted to give Him this power over them, He always refused and gave the power back to the one who offered it and directed their attention towards the seekers themselves.

Often people also wanted Ramana to accept them as His disciples, but He always refused and used to say that Real Master is within and He is in fact our own Self.

Questioner: "You must take pity on me Bhagavan. Hold me by the neck and see that I don’t fall and get injured."
Maharshi: "That is impossible. It is necessary both for you to strive and for the Guru to help."

Questioner: Sadguru is necessary to guide me to understand it.
Maharshi: The sadguru is within.

Questioner: I want a visible Guru.
Maharshi: That visible Guru says that he is within.

"Man's greatest mistake is to think that he is by nature weak and evil. Every human being is Divine and powerful in his true nature. Weak and evil are only his habits, desires and thoughts, but not himself."

I am not saying that gurus are useless, but they are helpful and truthful only when they are guiding seekers to find their inner guru that is the Self.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 04:58:27 PM by snow »

snow

• View Profile
Re: What makes Ramana so great
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 05:03:31 PM »
I do not consider anyone to be my disciple. I have never sought upadesh from anyone nor do I give ceremonial upadesh. If the people call themselves my disciples I do not approve or disapprove. In my view all are alike. They consider themselves fit for being called disciples. What can I say to them? - Sri Ramana Maharshi

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 09:46:55 AM »

Dear snow,

Excellent.  Sri Bhagavan, when someone sought His grace has said:
Grace is always there.  It is flowing for ever perennially.  'You'
do not come in its way.  He stressed the need for removal of the
ego in many such examples.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 07:30:22 AM »
Dear Sri snow,

Had Lord Shiva chosen to make this world of phenomena His temporary Abode during the period Bhawan Sri Ramana lived (troubled time when the second world war was raging), He would have lived and moved among the mortals as Bhagwan Sri Ramana did. Everything associated with Sri Bhagwan, from the Name Itself to every word He uttered, His Teaching, His Equanimity, His Mouna Vykhya ( Teaching in Silence), His world famous piercing and calming look, His universality, His Gait… everything known or unknown about Him, makes Him supremely great.

There have been Gurus and Teachers in all religions who taught, “Know Thyself”, or something similar to it. Philosophical aspects of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching is almost similar to many Advaitic Teachers in India and abroad. Teaching of many Zen-masters is reminiscent of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching. Besides, are not the two Biblical Statements “ I AM THAT I AM ” and  “ Be still and know that I am God ” the essence of Sri Bhagwan’s Teaching ?

Bhagwan Sri Ramana turned the attention of those seekers from all over the world who either came to Him during His life-time and even those who are still coming to Him, transcending all physical and mental barriers, from seeking and the sought on to the seeker himself. Herein lies His Unique and Divine Greatness.

Thank you,
    Anil     

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 10:29:20 AM »

Dear Anil,

For those who were anxious about leaving the body, Sri Bhagavan said:

Where can I go?  I am here."  This is the assurance given by Him and
His Presence is even now felt inside the Asramam. 

The greatest teaching of Sri Bhagavan is the way He lived His life.
He was living as He taught.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 03:58:36 PM »
Dear Sri Subramanian Sir,

His Presence is so potent in the Asramam. From everywhere  and at any time, His Presence can be invoked and felt palpably, if one is sincere enough in his devotion to Him. Where will He go ? Where He is not that He will go there.There is simply no 'here', 'there', 'now', 'then' etc. for Him. Countless devotees still coming to Him with hope and getting fulfilled are the testimony to only this truth.

Thank you so much,sir ,for a very nice post.

Regards,
  Anil

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »
This talk of Sri Ramana's presence at the ashram inspires visit. But is not Sri Ramana everywhere anyway. All we have to do is trust and love. But visit would be great, and make the life worth while.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 01:38:22 PM »

Dear kde,

Sri Bhagavan said to many devotees before leaving His body:
"Where can I go.  I am here."

This is true and His Presence is being felt whenever one visits
the Asramam.  Particularly in the Samadhi Hall and Old Hall, when
people meditate on Him, they realize the Power of His Presence.

Arunachala Siva.

eranilkumarsinha

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 02:23:57 PM »
He is everywhere and in everything and beyond. Everything is in Him only. Love, faith and effort with perseverance reveals Him as the Heart or the Self of all that is. He Himrelf has assured that all will be well in the end.

Thank you,
    anil

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 11:16:13 PM »
Dear Subramanian, As I say it really does inspire me to visit. To see the place and the hill and feel the atmosphere. I sometime imagine seeing Arunachala towering in the distance as I travel closer. It's all very much like a pilgrimage for me. Reading about other peoples experiences of visiting the ashram . It's all very inspiring.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 08:54:15 AM »

Dear kde,

Yes.  Experiences of different people, differ.  During my recent
visit on Jan 26-29, 2011, on the second evening, one German lady
sat beside me for dinner.  Normally Westerners do not speak to others on their own.  But she was different.  She looked at me and said: I am feeling a little giddy. I told her, 'Do not worry.  I shall render all help that you may require.'  She then volunteered to me the following information.

She had not one, but two brain surgeries in 2010. Fortunately both
the tumors were benign.  The surgery was successful, but she had
to fitted with plastic skull for half the crown.  She had been coming
to Sri Bhagavan since 11 years.   This time, after surgery, she had
come all by herself!  She has already taken a house in T'malai and
she is taking care of herself.  Daily darshan, daily food in the Asramam.  She has to sleep all alone in her house.  She had got an
auto rickshaw driver permanently on hire, for coming to Asramam and going back for three times in a day!  She then concluded: Who
is taking care of me?  It is Sri Bhagavan.  She is ever with me.

I felt very emotional.  It is all the magic of faith, if faith becomes large, Sri Bhagavan's Grace becomes larger!

Arunachala Siva.         

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 12:42:31 PM »
Dear Subramanian, It's takes a lot of guts to travel alone to a strange (for her) land, especially after traumatic surgery.  So I admire her spirit.

The the magic of faith truly is a great gift.

I like reading what you say about the ashram, as you convey something that I can feel also, even here. We all share the love for Ramana. thank you

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »

Dear kde,

During one of my visits earlier in 2008 or 2009, I and my wife met
one young girl [perhaps in her early 20s] called Shian.  She was
looking for someone who can talk to her in English.  When my wife
said: Yes, she started narrating her story:

She is a Jew from Israel. Her father, paternal uncle and a few others
had been killed in Yom Kippur War.  She was reading in school then.
One day, when she was in school, her friend gave her a book on
Sri Bhagavan.  The photograph itself attracted her.  It was a soothing remedy for loss of many family members in war. On reading the book she started feeling an effervescence [like opening a soda bottle on the right side of the chest. She became immensely peaceful. There itself, she decided to come to Tiruvannamalai one day.  After her schooling, she worked for some job and earned enough money to make a trip.

Her relatives agreed and she came to India.  In Mumbai, when she was in a hotel,, there was the famous terrorist activity.  The whole city was shaken.  There were checkings checkings everyware.  She
then started after 3 or 4 days to Tiruvannamalai.  She came and spent her time in the Asramam and began to experience the peace in her heart.  On checking up with her, she said that she would stay for three months in Tiruvannamalai!

The faith helps to attain peace.  The faith in God or Guru is the panacea for all worldly evils.

Like the German lady, this young girl from Israel is also a shining example of peace that brings people from far off places, in search
of God or Guru.  Slowly they will also realize that God is in fact, within.  The outside guru pushes your mind inside. The guru inside,
viz., Atma pulls you to the Heart.

Arunachala Siva.

Om Hridayam

• Love Ramana Love Ramana Love Ramana Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 02:11:58 PM »
There is no doubt in my mind that Ramana is one of the rarest, greatest and most supreme gifts to the world in the field of spirituality.
What surprises me are the sheer number of people who acknowledge him, but think what they need is elsewhere.

Maybe they like his gospel on an intellectual level, but they can't quite bring themselves to sacrificing their precious ego, or they want a "living" teacher
or maybe they want flowery words as opposed to direct truths. As someone who has studied comparative religions for 30 years I have seen so many, many groups
many of whom I genuinely respect, but frankly none of their teachings come close to what Ramana brought, but there's not one group or center for Ramana around here or even close...
I only see two centers for Ramana in the United States. And many many much smaller groups draw bigger crowds. It's baffling.
But it is what it is. Ramana is watching the unfolding happen at its own rate. I am sure this is how it's meant to be, but it does baffle my little mind from time to time.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »

Dear Om Hridayam,

Sri Bhagavan showed the Direct Path, which is simple but it
is like a steep climbing of a hill.  Efforts are needed.  Perseverance
of the highest order is required.  But still, many people are ready
to take up this Path.  Because, He is showering Grace on those who
make this sincere effort.  Grace will surely be bestowed once we are ready for sacrificing our ego.

I am seeing even in this hot summer [T'malai records 36 degrees celsius], many Westerners coming everyday and staying at least for 1 month.  They walk barefoot.  Drink mineral water.  Eat regular
South Indian food squatting on the floor.  They listen to songs in the evening, by keeping a transliterated copy with them.  These
are the efforts and they are sure to get the prize.

Arunachala Siva.