Author Topic: Tolle Eckhart - so much similar to Bhagwan's teachings  (Read 14516 times)

saraskrishna

• View Profile
Tolle Eckhart - so much similar to Bhagwan's teachings
« on: February 22, 2011, 02:18:45 PM »
Dear All,

I came across Tolle Eckhart and he himself has said, his teachings are similar to what Bhagwan taught. 

I just copied below the spiritual transformation that happened with him, as I read it in a site..:

Eckhart Tolle's Spiritual Transformation:

The story which I describe briefly in the introduction to the book is that for many years I lived in a state of great fear and continuous fluctuation between states of depression and high anxiety. This was to the point of becoming almost unbearable. One night I woke up in the middle of the night, as I had many times before, in a state of even more intense dread and fear. The mind had lots of reasons why I was feeling fearful, and yet that state was continuous no matter what my external situation was. It became so unbearable that suddenly the thought occurred to me, "I cannot live with myself any longer." That thought was the trigger for a transformation. The thought kept repeating itself many times in my head and then suddenly there was a stepping back from the thought and a looking at the thought. I asked, "Who is the 'I' and who is the self that I cannot live with?"

In Zen they have koans and it's almost as if a koan spontaneously appeared in my mind. A koan's purpose is to destroy conceptual thinking because it has no answer on a conceptual level. So, I asked, "Who is the self that I cannot live with? Are there one or two? If I cannot live with my self, who is that self?" And then, beyond thought, there was a recognition of the "unhappy me," as I later called it, as being something completely non-substantial and fictional. Then consciousness withdrew completely from identification with that "unhappy me." At that moment the whole structure of the "unhappy me" and its pain collapsed because the withdrawal of identification was so complete. What was left was simply beingness or presence. There was still a moment of fear. It felt like being drawn into a hole within myself, a vast whirlpool, and a realization arose in my chest, "Resist nothing." That was the key. Then resistance was relinquished and I don't know what happened after that.

All I do know is that the next morning I woke up and even before opening my eyes I heard the sounds of birds and it was so precious; everything was so precious. Then I opened my eyes and everything was alive and new and fresh as if I had never seen it before. And I walked around and picked up things and looked at them. I was amazed at everything. There was no understanding of it. I was not even trying to understand anything. It was just so beautiful. Then I walked around the city in the same state, even in the midst of traffic. I was in a state of amazement and it was all so beautiful.

We can find many of his teachings in internet and they relate so much with our Bhagwan's explanation.

With Love
saras krishna

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Tolle Eckhart - so much similar to Bhagwan's teachings
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 04:18:22 PM »

Dear saras krishna

A few months back, in the Forum, someone wrote about Eckhart
Tolle.  Though I was not initially interested in buying his books,
I finally bought one book THE POWER OF NOW.  [He has got many
more titles].  I read the book in quick turning of pages.  The ideas are similar to that of Sri Bhagavan.  He quotes from the Bible and
Zen books.  He says:  "Do not personalize Christ, as a form.  He is your living presence."   Such ideas speak about formless worship and meditation.  However, it is surprising that he never  quotes about Sri Bhagavan and I am sure he must have definitely heard about Him.  He has also written a book titled Stillness Speaks and Practicing the Power of Now, which again suggests about Sri Bhagavan's words on Silence.

Arunachala Siva.     

saraskrishna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 04:46:35 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

He himself has accepted and said what he teaches or speaks is similar to what is taught in Bagavad Gita or Bhagwan.. I read this in wikipedia article on him.. link below..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eckhart_Tolle

There are many such people, we know a very little of them I think.  I wonder won't we get such a chance, yet involved in family life routine, all I can do is to chant Arunachala Shiva and practice Self-Enquiry.

With Love
saraskrishna

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »

Dear saras krishna,

I have not read the wikipedia article.  I shall read it soon.  Thanks.

Arunachala Siva.

Om Hridayam

• Love Ramana Love Ramana Love Ramana Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 04:56:51 AM »
He most certainly knows about Ramana. He has a product to sell and the mentioning of the source of his thought might make him seem less "original".
I remember one comentator on Rajneesh "Osho" once mentioning that Rajneesh:
"...appealed to many westerners because his teachings so closely resembled Alan Watts... It didn't seem to occur to any of them that he had actually -READ- Alan Watts."

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:27:14 AM »

Dear Om Hridayam,

Yes.  Sri Bhagavan is the Source of all. I remember Paul Brunton
using Sri Bhagavan's teachings in his books and started calling them
as his own ideas.  These people are doing the same thing.

Arunachala Siva.

snow

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 04:18:28 PM »
Dear Subramanian, I know that Paul Brunton criticised Sri Ramana, but his last secretary said this about Brunton's relationship with Ramana.

While it may be true that Paul Brunton criticized Sri Ramana's 'lack of ethical concern' regarding WWII, that was definitely in the greater context of his life-long reverence for him. And while he did study with other people in India, I know that he did NOT take them as his guru(s)--though he had hoped to take HH Shankaracarya for his guru prior to coming to Ramana.

Later in life Brunton felt he had arrived at a point where the Atman alone was his Guru, and at that point 'broke' with Ramana, if you will. As his last secretary, I can tell you that he had a photograph of Ramana in a position of honor in his study in his final years.

- Timothy

Brunton criticised Maharshi because he couldn't accept Maharshi's seemingly passive and indifferent attitude towards the world's situation. I think this is only because Brunton wasn't a jnani (atleast at that time) and couldn't understand Maharshi. Ramana himself said:

"Non-action is unceasing activity. The sage is characterized by eternal and intense activity. His stillness is like the apparent stillness of a fast rotating gyroscope"

And I have read Brunton's book "Search of Secret India" and his description of being with Ramana is great and powerful. Reading it actually felt like being in His Presence. I only have the finnish version of the book so I'm not going to quote the most interesting parts of his book, but here are some quotes that were on the Internet.

“It is an ancient theory of mine that one can take the inventory of a man’s soul from his eyes. But before those of the Maharshi I hesitate, puzzled and baffled.

I cannot turn my gaze away from him. My initial bewilderment, my perplexity at being totally ignored, slowly fade away as this strange fascination begins to grip me more firmly. But it is not till the second hour of the uncommon scene that I become aware of a silent, resistless change which is taking place within my mind.”

“I know only that a steady river of quietness seems to be flowing near me, that a great peace is penetrating the inner reaches of my being, and that my thought-tortured brain is beginning to arrive at some rest.”

amiatall

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 04:38:40 PM »
Jesus said: "What to you may be the great evil, to my Father may be the great good".

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 04:38:58 PM »

Dear snow,

Yes.  There are several stories about Paul Brunton.  One is he plagiarized Sri Bhagavan's teachings and wrote books saying that
ideas were his own.  I am sure only definitely for this purpose, he was not permitted inside the Asramam during later years.  However,
Sri Bhagavan stayed still, as He was usually, in the matter.  There could be some more reasons as stated by you also.  But the credit goes to PB, that his first book brought so many hundreds of Westerners to Sri Bhagavan.  For this, we must be thankful to him.

He was a rolling stone. He gathered no mass. Towards the end of his life he spent his time in Cambodia, looking at the Buddhist sculptures and drawings on the walls.

His three chapters about Sri Bhagavan and Tiruvannamalai, a new Tamizh edition has come.  If you read that you will understand that he really had a glimpse of the Self in Sri Bhagavan's presence.
These three chapters are really from his heart. But unfortunately,
he did not pursue his efforts to abide in the Self permanently.

Many come to Him,
Only a few are called,
A fewer therefrom are chosen!

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 04:42:03 PM »

Dear amiatall,

They also serve who stand and wait.

To slightly alter this Biblical sentence,

They also serve who stand and write.

PB took the light to the Western world.  Though unfortunately,
he did not retain the Light within. But God's ways, as you say,
are inscrutable.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 04:47:52 PM »

Dear snow, amiatall,

Sri Chandrasekhara Saraswati of Kanchi Math, directed only two people to Sri Bhagavan Ramana.  One is Paul Brunton and the
other is Annamalai Swami.  Though many other giants like Aldoux
Huxley came to meet Kanchi pontiff, he did not somehow thought it fit to direct them to Sri Bhagavan.

Arunachala Siva.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 04:53:51 PM »

Dear amiatall, snow,

The place that Paul Brunton visited during his last years was
Angor Vot in Cambodia.  It has got innumerable  Hindu/Buddhistic
sculptures and wall paintings.  A really an eerie atmosphere, says
my son, who has visited this place.

Arunachala Siva.

amiatall

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 05:15:19 PM »
Notice how Bhagavan never claimed any ideas to be His. Therefore no problems.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »

Dear amiatall,

Yes. This reminds me of the story behind Vichara Mani Maala [in
Sri Bhagavan's collected works].  The original is Vichara Sagara
Sarasangraham, a Hindi work.  One Arunachala Mudaliar had requested Sri Bhagavan asked Sri Bhagavan to give him a short
treatise condensing the above.  Sri Bhagavan agreed and gave it.

Sri Arunachala Mudaliar was for long time, claiming that it was his own condensed version.  Sri Bhagavan as you say, never owns up
any of these things.  But later it was found out and included in
Collected Works, as compiled and rendered by Sri Bhagavan.   

Arunachala Siva.

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »
It's in A search in secret India I first heard of Ramana. The writing in those chapters is excellent. It's my favorite PB book. I would have to say PB has brought a lot to the table in all his books. I struggle to think of anyone that has done more. Maybe more so for a westerner.

Here is a good article about PB and Sri Ramana, and how PB used Ramana as "pegs for his own teaching". Also how PB was after occult powers. http://www.members.shaw.ca/abhishiktananda/Brunton.html

See also http://www.members.shaw.ca/abhishiktananda/jivanmukti.pdf About Ramana.

I can't say I'm keen on Tolle , something doesn't feel quite right about him to me. And he seems to be making a great deal of money, without crediting the people he got the teaching from! I don't know about him for sure, and many have found his books helpful.