Author Topic: Food - how & what to eat  (Read 9049 times)

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
Re: Food - how & what to eat
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 10:46:08 AM »

Dear Om Hridayam,

Pepper is not discouraged by Sri Bhagavan.  In South India as also
in the Asramam, they prepare occasionally pepper rasam [watery
gravy] or pepper kuzhambu [thick gravy] to be taken along with
cooked rice.  Pepper is also added as a full seed in Pongal, another
rice preparation, without jaggery.  Pepper improves digestion and
makes one feel hungry in case he has no proper appetite.  But
I do not know what you mean by spicy pepper with Vitamin C.

Garlic is not recommended in day to day food , though as a medicine, it is occasionally used to improve digestion, and for
children to cure occasional epilepsy.

Arunachala Siva.
Garlic     

Om Hridayam

• Love Ramana Love Ramana Love Ramana Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 12:36:57 PM »
What I meant is that Jalapeno peppers are filled with Vitamin C and they are good for your heart (Physical heart, that is! ;-)
I was asking if they were OK.

I was surprised to find out Garlic was considered to be not Sattvic so I was checking to make sure jalapenos were OK.

Also, eggs are not recommended ...but bread is?
In most western bread there are eggs as an ingredient.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:28:36 PM by Om Hridayam »

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »
I gotta say I have never come across bread with eggs in.

I was surprised garlic was considered to be not Sattvic. I sometimes have it in small amounts.

But I wouldn't call milk Sattvic, but I think it's classed as Sattvic. So a little of this is down to taste, within reason.

Om Hridayam

• Love Ramana Love Ramana Love Ramana Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
My mistake, I wrote "most" when I meant "some".
Some bread does have egg in it, but not all of them.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 06:31:07 PM »

Dear kde, Om Hridayam,

In India, bread is without egg.  They add soda salt for good baking
and fluffing.  So long as the vitamin C., is not having animal components, then it is also okay.  Milk is taken after the cow had
fed its calf.  The remaining milk is only nivritti, relief for the cow
to shed.  So, it is permitted.

Arunachala Siva. 

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 07:54:39 PM »
It would be nice if the dairy Industries in the west would follow India's lead. In Britain the calf in usually shot in the head after birth, or sold for veal. Believe it or not Britain has a fairly high standard.

The animal cruelty in this world is heart breaking. I wished I could say I have never been part of the problem or added to suffering. But I can't.

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2011, 06:47:51 AM »

Dear kde,

Nowadays, in India also there is a problem.  I am not sure whether
the calves are shot dead, but they are not given full feed of mother's
milk. The cow is brought to the buyer's house, for milching, with a
doll calf and the cow is shown this doll calf [as if it does not know the truth], under its udders and then the milk is taken, by the cowherd.  This is in villages and semi urban areas.

In cities, the milking of the cow is not done in front of buyer's houses at all, nowadays.  The cows are milked in the dairy form
run by govt or a large private party and the milk from various cows are added, pasteurized and kept in freezers and the pocketed milk is sold to households.  Various chemicals might also have been added, I am not sure.

Arunachala Siva.     

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 12:53:03 PM »
Dear Subramanian,

India will follow the route of the west into mass factory farming then. Money talks in the end. The animals are like machine components not living beings.

Most of the small farmers will be squeezed out of business over time. And another market will be conquered. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »

Dear kde,

What you say is absolutely correct.  With technology and globalization, India is also fast aping  the west.  Now Supermarkets have come in cities and urban centres, selling everything from cabbage to household provisions like rice, dhal etc.,  A study has revealed that every large supermarket ekes out about 70 vegetable and fruit vendors, and another 50 traders of provision items, like rice, dhal, oil etc.,  These are nicely packed and sold. The price is definitely higher.  There are computers for billing.  People throng these supermarkets since all is available in one place. They are reluctant to walk to different destinations for the individual items.     

Arunachala Siva.

kde

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 04:50:42 PM »
Dear Subramanian, that is exactly the same as my country. The supermarkets have so much buying power, and as you say all the required products are under one roof.
People will not use the old shops. And the towns and cities will change for good.

Supermarkets will squeeze the lowest prices from the farmers until only the most efficient factory farms remain. I guess farmers are well used to that anyway. 

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »

Dear kde,

Yes.  In all aspects, only small farmers and small orchid owners are
bearing the brunt.  Even in villages, large agricultural land lords
and owners of fruit and vegetable gardens will not succumb.  They
will quote their prices or go to the semi urban areas and sell their
products with their own godowns to stock them.

Arunachala Siva.

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2011, 09:07:05 AM »
friends, if you notice, food and and rituals/spirituality have had a very peaceful co-existance in our customs over the ages. For every occassion, especially in our southindian customs we have a corrosponding the festival special! These items are symbolic of the deity being worshipped, the seasonal produce that is harvested and so on. Also, i am amazed at the variety and the range of ingredients that go into each dish which has a complimentary side dish to go along with it! really someone must have put some deep thought and research to come up with such recipes! For example, arudra darisanam is celebrated with a thiruvadirai kali kootu/thalagam- which is a sweet pongal dish to go with a mixed veggie sambar - absolutely delicious, wholesome nutritious meal which the fresh seasonal produce! Pongal is also celebrated with a sweet pongal and pooja being done with sugarcane, jaggery and other seasonal items. Ganesh chaturthi is celebrated with kozhakattai! - rice flour dumplings with a jeggery filling. Another festival in march will be the nonbu - celebrating the story of satyavan and savitri and really celebrating womanhood and her strength to overcome any adversitiy to protect her family and her loved ones - this festival again uses jaggery and a sweet dosai like item, adai is made. It is accompanied with white butter.

So...food is a very integral part of our customs and i think that there is a deep scientific meaning to all the items that we eat on those days. I am not sure if this has been documented in any book as such...

Ramanarpamastu

ramanaduli

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 01:39:23 PM »
Dear Lakshmi,

Yes. Our hinduism has a great cultural and religious base. Human beings cannot live without food. At the same time they should be taught the purpose of the birth. So our elders, according to the seasons, they started worshiping gods. That time they offer seasonal flowers, seasonal fruits and of course the seasonal grains which will be cultivated. They made a tasty recipies putting all the ingredients. Still we can see this habits in down south villages. They cook according to the thithi. For an example, the onion sambar will not be cooked on Akadasi or any puja days like navarathiri or sivarathiri. They never had fridge. They never stored the vegetables. They cooked fresh vegetables and offered to God.They ate the prasadam. If it is not offered it is called simply sadam. When it is offered to God it is called prasadam. Elders to say all the mantras which used to get lots of energy in the food. Having these types of meals kept them very healthy and satvic. But it is Kali yuga. If we say, people will laugh at us. Even it is said in Siddhars padals. in Thrumanthiram. The cooked food should not be taken after 1.1/2 hours. Elders never reheated the cooked food. They said, prasadam should not be reheated as God gets angry. We used to believe. But in this modern time.
vegetables are coming to us plucking after 3 days, We have to store it in the firidge. After cooking also food is kept in fridge. While eating we reheat it. We know all vitamins are killed by over heating. While eating elders used to follow some rules. They used to sit on floor, offering once again the food they eat slowly, not talking (arrattai). But now a days, they eat on table siting infront of TV. half of the way they attend to mobile. So everything looks like a drama only. So there is no wonder why kids are not healthy mind and body.

Another thing in siddhar padal black pepper is adviced to take not chillies. But they say green chillies i.e. jalapeno has vitamins.
In Hindi they say, jaisa ann vaisa mann. (What you are eating, that is you)But one thing is very clear. If you are living all alone you can decide what to eat when to eat and how to eat. Otherwise, we have to do KRISHNARPITHAM. There is no other way, except this.

Ramanaduli

Subramanian.R

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2011, 06:01:37 AM »

Dear S. Lakshmi and Ramanduli,

Each god in Hindu pantheon is offered Naivedyam of a particular
type of delicacy.  For Uma, it is always Payasam [sweet porridge].
In later years, people have added Vada.  Sri Lalita Sahasranamam
says Paayasaanna Priya, Pasuloka Bhayankari....

In T'malai, Mother's temple [I had been there for 4 days from
26th Jan.], in the Asramam, Sri Chakra Puja was performed on
Friday night.  Prasadam of sweet pongal and Vada was offered
to the devotees. 

Ilayaraja had been in Asramam.  He also participated in Sri
Chakra Puja.

Ganapati is offered puffed rice [aval] and kozhukattai, modhakam is also offered traditionally. 

Siva is traditionally offered cooked rice.  Annam.

Arunachala Siva.       

SLakshmi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2011, 05:14:19 PM »
subramanian sir,

these days at ramanasramam they have started using garlic and onions quite liberally. They also make items like 'kurma' which really make use of sonbu, pattai and other items normally not used in orthodox south indian cuisines. I am sure these items were not made during bhagavan's times. I wonder why they have incorporated them now...

Ramanarpamastu